Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Nervous Breakdown

• Start Topic

Niko flies blind as she contends with a damaged ship and an onboard contagion; Renowned reporter Harper Glass hounds Erik for information.

Premiere date: July 25, 2019

Wow that was gory. 

But ffs, you're in a bar playing trivia. Your PhD doesn't matter. If anything anyone with a PhD will tell you that the one thing they know is how much they don't know. 

I'm surprised that the gamma ray burst didn't burn them too. 

This show feels very episodic and formulaic. There's always some cliff-hanger at the very end. I'm pretty sure this is where I left off but it's hard to tell from the description. 

I'm confused as to whether they are still lost. Why are they all going back into hibernation sleep? Did they re-establish their route to the planet? If it was mentioned I missed it. Have they re-established communication with Earth to let them know? They aren't really explaining things very well.

I thought the show started off well enough but the more of them I watch, the more it's starting to feel like Lost in Space.

• Love 1

I think they found out where they are and it's going to be several months to get to the destination so they're going back to sleep. 

The comms should still be out iirc. I think they last transmission to Earth was right after the FTL around the star didn't work. 

On 8/3/2019 at 4:30 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Wow that was gory. 

But ffs, you're in a bar playing trivia. Your PhD doesn't matter. If anything anyone with a PhD will tell you that the one thing they know is how much they don't know. 

I'm surprised that the gamma ray burst didn't burn them too. 

I've known a few people who thought their doctorate made them the most knowledgeable person on earth. They're probably outnumbered by those who are aware of how much they don't know, but they do exist. It's probably not as much of a matter of the degrees one holds, than how big of an ego a person has. After all, there are more than a few people with limited understanding of the world and science who believe they know everything.

The nervous system gave me Alien flashbacks, and I thought it was going to mutate into some sort of intelligent and terrifying life.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I know. I was speaking as someone who has one. The people in my circles wouldn't do that.

I figured you did, given your name. And I thought what you said spoke well of you and those in your circles.

It feels like the show keeps manufacturing crises to avoid any narrative progress. What an awful, awful bunch of people. 

Also, I now fast forward through all the Earth scenes. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1

How are these scientists, excluding the politician, surprised, SURPRISED, that being exposed to gamma rays wouldn't have damaging effects on their physiology?!?!?  They should consider themselves lucky that they're only sterilized.  At worst, they should be dead, and not so worst, growing tumors and developing cancer.  We're given protection, and hygienist leaves the room, when getting x-rays (different radiation, same principle) at the dentist's office.  Their exposure was long and enough that it caused them discomfort.  At least one of them looked at the bright side.

The earth scenes are boring and the daughter is cringe-worthy.  The storyline with the blogger is stupid.  That project would be crawling with govt types and have very limited media exposure.  Not remotely believable that head scientist, 3 eps and still don't remember his name, would constantly run into her.  Someone would call him on it and he certainly wouldn't be able to pass a "data cube" of info to her without him ending up in jail.

Edited by PsychoDrone
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, PsychoDrone said:

How are these scientists, excluding the politician, surprised, SURPRISED, that being exposed to gamma rays wouldn't have damaging effects on their physiology?!?!?  They should consider themselves lucky that they're only sterilized.  At worst, they should be dead, and not so worst, growing tumors and developing cancer.  We're given protection, and hygienist leaves the room, when getting x-rays (different radiation, same principle) at the dentist's office.  Their exposure was long and enough that it caused them discomfort.  At least one of them looked at the bright side.

The earth scenes are boring and the daughter is cringe-worthy.  The storyline with the blogger is stupid.  That project would be crawling with govt types and have very limited media exposure.  Not remotely believable that head scientist, 3 eps and still don't remember his name, would constantly run into her.  Someone would call him on it and he certainly wouldn't be able to pass a "data cube" of info to her without him ending up in jail.

While I agree with pretty much everything you said, I think we're supposed to think the blogger is deliberately running into him - not by coincidence, but by design.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

While I agree with pretty much everything you said, I think we're supposed to think the blogger is deliberately running into him - not by coincidence, but by design.

Yes, the blogger is deliberately running into him.  But, my view is that it wouldn't happen or, at least, it would take way more effort to get him alone.  This project would be under such scrutiny/control that the scientists would reside on a govt-established campus.  The setup in the 2016 movie Arrival is what I would expect.  But then, can't have too much believability, due to it screwing up the story.

Edited by PsychoDrone
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Yeah, she's been trying to find him. Why he is walking around freely is another mystery.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, PsychoDrone said:

Yes, the blogger is deliberately running into him.  But, my view is that it wouldn't happen or, at least, it would take way more effort to get him alone.  This project would be under such scrutiny/control that the scientists would reside on a govt-established campus.  The setup in the 2016 movie Arrival is what I would expect.  But then, can't have too much believability, due to it screwing up the story.

4 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Yeah, she's been trying to find him. Why he is walking around freely is another mystery.

Ahh, that never even occurred to me. Good points.