Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Martha Kane

Bort
  • Start Topic

Alfred accepts an assignment from photojournalist Martha Kane that turns increasingly dangerous.

Airdate: Sunday, August 11, 2019

This is available early on demand.

This was a fairly solid episode although maybe not quite as good as the first two. So, we meet the future Mrs. Wayne (unless there's another Martha floating around out there somewhere) and get some development of the conflict between the Raven Society and the No Name League. And damn, Dave-boy is a major league fuck up.

Alas, poor Phil.

• Love 1

So I guess that was a Pennyworth-Verse version of Alan Turing, a brilliant British computer programmer and scientist way ahead of his time who was persecuted for being gay by his own government. At this the show gave this version of him what appears to be a happier ending than what Turing got. 

Dave-Boy is a major league mess, poor Phil. 

So we meet the future Mrs Wayne, who is pretty awesome as it turns out. I mean, if Batman V Superman taught us anything, its that there are only so many in the world named Martha 😉 

• Love 3

This has shown up on HBOMax now after being cancelled on Epix.

I watched the first three episodes and must say I am not impressed. Another DC "Everything has to be so dark" entry. Ugh. 

Too bad the writing and acting are sub-par. I was so tired of Cockney Alfred on GOTHAM. And I may be mistaken, but it was always mentioned Alfred had a medical background. He sewed Bruce up and tended to all kinds of injuries. Not according to this.

I decided this episode was it for me with two things: The gun at the poker game. And the worst offender of them all...the show is set in the 1960s and there's a scene set in a bar/club with cage dancers. We hear "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath playing. That album came out in late 1970. Even the tiniest bit of research on your smart phone could have confirmed when the album was released.