Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: The Landlord's Daughter

Bort
  • Start Topic

Alfred turns down an offer from billionaire businessman Bruce Wayne and instead accepts an assignment that puts him in the crosshairs of one of the East End's most dastardly figures.

Airdate: Sunday, August 4, 2019

This is available early on demand.

I really like this series, it is well written, acted, the music is fab.  I truly like the cinematic style.  This female villain is just lovely.  Can I say lovely about a villain?  I just think she is superb and I smile everytime she shows on-screen.  

So far the consistency of this show is pretty good. Having set up the main characters in the Pilot, "The Landlord's Daughter" continues with the world building and character development. I have to say the graphic executions were a bit jarring, since I know that the UK abolished the death penalty in the early 60's and as far as I know, they weren't disemboweling people on national television even when they were executing convicts. The fact that this Britain is in an alternate universe doesn't really bother me though. The "Avengers" feel that I got from the pilot is a bit stronger in this one.

• Love 1
On 8/3/2019 at 4:42 AM, Mardo2044 said:

This female villain is just lovely.  Can I say lovely about a villain?  I just think she is superb and I smile everytime she shows on-screen.  

I don't know if I would call Bet lovely. Maybe effective. Because she creeps me the hell out.

• Love 4

Holy shit, AU 60s England doesn't fuck around! I especially love that the horrible bloody public executions, put on live television, is sponsored by UK based tea!

The Ripper gang controlling White Chapple is the awesome combination of creepy and over the top that I so love in the Batman mythos. Now that we know most of the main characters and more or less what the plot will be, we can engage in more world building, and I am really loving exploring this world so far.

On 8/4/2019 at 11:15 PM, Philbert said:

I have to say the graphic executions were a bit jarring, since I know that the UK abolished the death penalty in the early 60's and as far as I know, they weren't disemboweling people on national television even when they were executing convicts.

Me too. I was watching other show about old England when 'hanged, drawn and quartered' was still in effect for high treason and learned that such punishment was abolished in 1870. It was therefore a surprise and a quick reminder that it was a fantasy world.

• Love 1