Type keyword(s) to search

Illyria: Philosophical Power-Smurf

Years later, I still feel torn about this.  I, too, enjoyed Illyria's introduction and contribution to Season 5 (especially Spike and the clipboard).  I also wish they had more time to expand on her (its?) character.

However, for me, Fred was the character of "might have been."  By Season 5, I disliked the character, but only because she wasn't really allowed to be a character.  She was an object of desire and her character development varied according to the needs of the (read:  Wesley's) plot.  I know a lot of people weren't big on Fred/Gunn, but I loved the idea of them (while finding the execution lacking).  In my head version, Fred developed her own fighting style based on leveraging her strengths, bonded with Gunn as warriors in arms (there's your doggone kyrumption, or whatever), and didn't suddenly fall for Wesley whenever the show needed her to.  You've got a mad scientist who survived on her own in a separate dimension, people!  Use her.

Wow, I didn't even know I was holding all of that in.  tl;dr I dig Illyria, but totally wish for my HeadFred (hmmm, maybe not the best name there).

• Love 2
On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2014 at 4:01 PM, nosleepforme said:

To be quite honest, I'm not a huge fan of season five. But Illyria saved the season for me. When she came into the picture, the storylines improved a lot. I loved all of her scenes with Wesley and thought Amy Acker did terrific work with this character. It's a pity that the show got cancelled at the same time when they introduced her.

I liked 5, you needed to shake up the formula by this stage. It's amazing how popular Illyria was given how little time we had her for and that she had effectively killed off our beloved Fred. And yes, Amy is amazing. You wonder where they would have taken the character if the series continued? 

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2014 at 1:32 AM, catrox14 said:

All Hail Illyria

Careful Knox!

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2014 at 7:24 AM, Kalliste said:

I loved season 5 and Illyia! I also love how the show ended and her part in it, although it would have been great if we got to see a bit more of her.

We have the Angel comics of course and they take her into some interesting places, she even has her own mini-series. 

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2014 at 10:56 PM, slayer2 said:

I loved Illyria.

Who didn't? Well, the makeup crew probably?

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2014 at 1:55 AM, supposebly said:

It's the only season where I occasionally rewatch an episode or two. Because Fred dies and is replaced by Illyria. I hated Fred.

For shame! Do you not watch 1&2, Fred hasn't turned up yet? 

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2014 at 2:31 PM, netlyon2 said:

Years later, I still feel torn about this.  I, too, enjoyed Illyria's introduction and contribution to Season 5 (especially Spike and the clipboard).  I also wish they had more time to expand on her (its?) character.

However, for me, Fred was the character of "might have been."  By Season 5, I disliked the character, but only because she wasn't really allowed to be a character.  She was an object of desire and her character development varied according to the needs of the (read:  Wesley's) plot.  I know a lot of people weren't big on Fred/Gunn, but I loved the idea of them (while finding the execution lacking).  In my head version, Fred developed her own fighting style based on leveraging her strengths, bonded with Gunn as warriors in arms (there's your doggone kyrumption, or whatever), and didn't suddenly fall for Wesley whenever the show needed her to.  You've got a mad scientist who survived on her own in a separate dimension, people!  Use her.

Wow, I didn't even know I was holding all of that in.  tl;dr I dig Illyria, but totally wish for my HeadFred (hmmm, maybe not the best name there).

Actually I really thought Fred came into her own in s5, you see her in charge of the science department or backing up Wes undercover and she's has grown so much from the slightly deranged waif we encounter in Pylea waiting for the handsome man on the horse to turn up. I liked the Wes/Fred/Gunn triangle and frankly it was nice to see a black man and a (Southern) white woman get together on TV. Arguably however it went on far too long, it would have been nice to have Wes and Fred for a little while before all our hopes are dashed.  

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

You wonder where they would have taken the character if the series continued? 

I believe I read that the thought during Season 6 was to separate Illyria & Fred.