Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Remember When Our Boys Became Men?

• Start Topic

M'Dear introduces Jade to a new boy, and Mazzi and Shaka find a job to earn extra money. But an encounter with a cop soon has the family on edge.

Premiere date: July 10, 2019

I binged the whole thing. While it is a throwback of the comedies in the 90s (Full House Family Matters, Step by Step, etc), I cannot believe that Netflix green lite this project while cancelling One Day At a Time. 

The last episode had to be the strongest, and the one that made me most angry on how those little kids got treated.  The youngest (Mazzi) played the scared little boy very well. If season 2 gets ok'd, I am hoping they discuss other issues such as maybe Jade being mistaken for white and the advantage that plays in a situation?? 

A few things I didn't understand:

1. Everyone calling the matriarch, M'Dear.  Is that a Southern thing?

2. Moz, I get it he retired from football, but I mean he's young.  Is playing golf the be all and end all? Wouldn't he look for some other type of job? 

3. The spanking throughout the episodes.  The one with Jade was super funny because she had something on M'Dear and didn't actually get the belt.  The one with the little boy (I forgot which) that burned the kitchen and got the belt - not so funny.  And again with M'Dear throwing her shoe at his backside - not so funny.

4. The bible study group, their narrow minds at Cocoa and the way M'Dear acted.

5. Bible Vacation school with the whip cream.  Seriously - whip cream!??!?!  Spraying a person's face isn't funny.

I think that's pretty much it for now.

• Love 1
On 7/13/2019 at 8:34 AM, greekmom said:

1. Everyone calling the matriarch, M'Dear.  Is that a Southern thing?

Yes, it is.  M'Dear instead of "My Dear."  Usually the name given to an older woman, grandmother, aunt, etc.

You're a better person than I, I couldn't make it past episode 3.  

I can't see anybody with eyes mistaking Jade for white....just no.

I didn't like all the spanking because that seemed to be the only form of punishment M'Dear could think of.  I also didn't like how the parents just decided out of the blue that they'd leave Seattle.  

Many years ago, 60 Minutes had a piece about middle class black families leaving the northern suburbs for the south, leaving mostly white communities to live in mostly black communities.  I can see the family moving for THAT reason, but there didn't seem to be any reason for moving.

• Love 2

The belt was funny once, in the pilot, because it didn't happen. However, in episode 5 seeing a kid getting beaten isn't funny. It's not even a "spanking" of swats on the behind (which is still unacceptable) but using a leather belt. If you hit an adult with one, it is a felony. 

It makes it hard to take episode 8 seriously, when the kids are abused again, this time by police, but this time, we're supposed to be horrified. 

If my mother in law ever came at my kids with a belt, I swear I'd be the one who was up on charges with a felony, but Cocoa seems rather blase about it. 

On 12/10/2019 at 2:57 AM, dungeonwriter said:

The belt was funny once, in the pilot, because it didn't happen. However, in episode 5 seeing a kid getting beaten isn't funny. It's not even a "spanking" of swats on the behind (which is still unacceptable) but using a leather belt. If you hit an adult with one, it is a felony. 

It makes it hard to take episode 8 seriously, when the kids are abused again, this time by police, but this time, we're supposed to be horrified. 

If my mother in law ever came at my kids with a belt, I swear I'd be the one who was up on charges with a felony, but Cocoa seems rather blase about it. 

I agree. I'm surprised Cocoa was not upset.