Type keyword(s) to search

Metastasis: Breaking Bad en Español

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/breaking-bad-remake-metastasis-meet-640039

Is anybody watching this? I'm trying. I found it at 10 PM on my local Spanish channel (I have DISH network and it's on Uni Mas). It's on every night and it's a cross between the original BB and a telenovela (kinda like a Spanish soap opera). And it's all in Spanish. I haven't figured out how to get subtitles but I can follow the action well enough and pick up bits and pieces of the Spanish. 

I've seen a couple of episodes and am kind of enjoying it! And yeah, it follows the originally closely enough that the lack of English subtitles is no barrier to understanding what's happening. The only actor that seems a little miscast to me is Henry (Hank), and maybe Tuco. We see Walter Jr. even less on this version than on Breaking Bad!

I'm real curious to watch this.  I've seen some previews for it while watching the World Cup on the Spanish channel.  I hear the first few episodes are free on Hulu but I wonder where the rest of the episodes would be available if you haven't already been watching it or recording it on a Spanish station.

RoninJackson, do you have any kind of cable? I have DISH network and we have several free Spanish channels (the kind that people get on basic cable) and it's on there. I'm not sure about Hulu but you can check on Univision to see where you can see it. 

For me I get an episode M-F at 10 PM (and it replays in the middle of the night). On the weekends I get the five episodes played one right after another if I need to catch up). 

I was thrown by Walt's initial hair (it looked like a very bad wig) but I think it's because Espanol Walt has a much smaller head than American Walt. Espanol Jesse (Jesus?) seems too big/tall for Jesse. Tuco looks okay for me, especially those glittery teeth that he flashes all the time. I'm just fascinated to see anything Breaking Bad again. 

I don't have cable... I do have a free OTA Univision but I don't really know when it airs, and I work evenings so I doubt I can watch it live.  During the preview I saw it looks like they are already all the way up to Season 3... or at least they have shot that far.  There was definitely a shot of Walter Blanco shooting the hoods after running them down.  I'd love to see how they handle some of the key BB set pieces...

My sister has been recording the show on her DVR.  I was going through some of it today.  It looks like they are nearing the end of Season 3 as far as the live airings go.  I went through it to watch a few key scenes... the staging seems overall pretty clunky compared to the slick, dynamic style of the original.  I suppose that is to be expected since they don't have the same budget, but they also have an excuse to copy the original shot for shot, cut for cut, etc., and there's times when it's obvious the directors of the remake don't really understand the aesthetic touches beyond the story that made the original so gripping, regardless of budget.  The Cousins for example, look pretty hokey compared to the intimidating guys in the original version.  The Metastasis cousins are pudgy guys with matching bad long wigs.  It could be a cultural thing... maybe they look pretty intimidating to Colombian audiences, I don't know.  One thing I noticed was that they got Dave Porter to do the music, and a lot of the music is the same.  Anyway, it's obviously not fair to hold to the standards set by the original... 

I caught an episode of this on my local Spanish last night, and it happened to be the series finale!  I started out at the point where Walt poisons Lydia with the Stevia and then watched from there until the end.  I liked it!  And now I'm curious to watch other episodes if I see them.  The Colombian Skylar threw me off a little, but I only saw her in one short scene.

Thanks, @Ronin Jackson. 

It looks good, actually, but it follows the original so closely that I probably could not watch more than an episode as a novelty, and then I'd want to revisit the original. For example, I watched the clip of "Jesse" going to the sitdown with "Walter" and mistaking Watchful Bald Dad! for a hitman, and it was almost shot by shot. So was the amputee crawling scene at the hospital in S3, except that the American version had a whole law-enforcement gang standing around Walter and watching through the glass; here it's just Walter and "Gomez."  

I love my browser's slightly flawed auto-translations of the scene descriptions, sometimes with exclamation points. "Walter White Abandoned Heaven." (I thought that one was a theological metaphor until I realized it was overtranslating Cielo/Skyler's name.) "Walter White Wanted to Avenge the Infidelity of Heaven."  "The Bride of José Miguel Died Against Walter White." (That one makes Jane's involvement with Walter sound sexier than it was.) "Walter White was terrified by the fury of a twin."  

Edited by Simon Boccanegra

I think it must be watched in its entirety. Yes, it's a big commitment but well worth it.

Unless someone has been watching it or DVRing it on Univision, watching the whole thing isn't really an option.  But even if it comes out on DVD or VOD eventually, I'm not sure why it's a must.  If you want to relive the entire saga as though it took place in Columbia, sure, but ultimately it's a scene for scene remake with occasional variation do to cultural differences and a much tighter budget/shooting schedule.  It's ultimately the latter that had me curious.  I watched a bit on Univision and many of the clips on youtube, and I pretty much got the idea.  If I want to relive the saga again I'm more than happy to rewatch the real thing, with all the glorious aesthetic punch that is just not there in this version.  It's like comparing the Mona Lisa to a paint by numbers reproduction.

• Love 1

I'm looking forward to watching this! I've been trying to watch a lot more movies/TV shows in Spanish to work on my listening comprehension, and this seems like the perfect way to do it since I love the show and already know the plot. Now I just need to see if I can find full episodes...

I watched the whole series this summer on Netflix.

You are either talking about the original "Breaking Bad" or Hulu Plus.  You could watch the most recent 10 episodes of "Metastasis" or so on Hulu Plus, so you had to start early to see the whole thing.  I don't think you can watch it there now... I'm not entirely sure since I'm not a subscriber.  If you are talking about "Breaking Bad", of course I agree entirely that it should be watched in it's entirety.  But the thread is about "Metastasis".

Did you use a proxy or the "Hola" add on (or do you live outside the U.S.)?  "Metastasis" is not available on Netflix in the U.S.

Incorrect. Metastasis is definitely available on Netflix in the U.S. I'm a subscriber and I'm looking at it right now. All 62 episodes are listed under "season one."

I haven't watched it but I've jumped around out of curiosity. They use a school bus instead of an RV. In Felina, it's just pouring rain -- no snow -- because he's in South America, not New Hampshire. The gang are not Nazis. Etc. Not sure if this is considered a spoiler since the show is the exact same, but one minor but notable difference in the final is

Jesse ("Jose") pulls the photo of Andrea and Brock out of his pocket as he's speeding away from the gang's complex in his final appearance. It gives the impression that he is going to get Brock. In the American version, you were only left to wonder where Jesse was going next.

Edited by Falafel

Hi! You accused DangerousMinds of being incapable of remembering if they watched it on Netflix or not. It was available in 2014 and then removed in the US temporarily before being added back again. :)

Falafel, I'm not sure why you've got such a problem something I wrote over a year ago to launch a two pronged rebuttal (including a more antagonistic PM one), but I do recall that I was at the time and still am a US Netflix subscriber, and I was only trying to figure out why DangerousMinds was able to access content that I did not have access to at that time. You are apparently quite sure that I must have been able to watch Metastasis on Netflix in the US at the time I wrote that. Over a year ago. Great. I couldn't, but please go on thinking that I could. I don't care to discuss it further.

I've watched two episodes of Metastasis on Netflix and so far I'm enjoying it. So far it works for me, but you've got to look at it as its own thing that took inspiration from Breaking Bad. I'm debating if I'm going to watch the third episode or watch it side-by-side with the corresponding Breaking Bad episodes because I spent the second episode of Metastasis thinking the events happened an episode or two later on Breaking Bad. I'm hoping they mixed up the pacing. The telenovela format means they don't have to stick to Breaking Bad's season arcs.

I really like Jose Miguel Rosas. One advantage to a remake like Metastasis is that the people involved know the full arc for the characters. The guy who plays Jose feels like he knows how Jesse changes over time . You see glimmers that he could become the more competent accomplice of later in the series, even though right now he's happy being a dumbass. Early on Jesse was just a dumbass, Jose is a smart guy but a dedicated slacker. Similarly, I hope Cielo's early arc won't make her the funstopping nag Skyler was.

One twist in the first episode is that meth is new to Colombia and part of Walt's motivation is that no one has successfully manufactured crystal in Colombia. All the manufacturers that the law has caught, so far, have been from the USA or Mexico and the meth made so far has been powder. Jose is the rare Colombian who knows how to cook meth.

That said, it seems like Colombian health insurance is as bad as the US. With the surviving drug dealer, Jose suggests they drop him off to the hospital who will let him die without getting any care because he doesn't have insurance.

The house that Jose lives in is HUGE. It's at least three stories with the space to have an elegant staircase. Jesse's family seemed well off, but Jose's house looks like a McMansion from the inside.