Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: REWATCH: Bay of Married Pigs

Carrie is invited to a couple's house in the Hamptons only to be flashed by the husband; Miranda's law firm thinks she's a lesbian; Samantha gets to know her doorman better; Charlotte dumps an eligible guy with the wrong china pattern.

(Silly mod is still working on the a.m./p.m. thing when it comes to setting up a thread to unlock automatically.)

This was the first episode from the rewatch that I truly enjoyed. I laughed out loud twice, and I felt like this was the "old friend" of a show that I'd been hoping to reconnect with.

Having Samantha drink herself into a stew then seduce the doorman gave Kim Cattrall her first opportunity to demonstrate her great comic timing. The doorman was sweet, too. I liked that Charlotte took Samantha back to her (Charlotte's) apartment - later in the series, I don't remember the two of them having much of a bond, so this was good to see.

I liked the married vs single story line, too. Was it an exaggeration of real life? Yes, but it rang true in spots. Desperate Guy was a recognizable type.

Also, Carrie didn't annoy me, though I'm looking forward to the season where she finally drops the cigarettes.

The Miranda story line made me feel bad for Miranda, but many of her story lines do that. In the quizzes that are all over the Internet (and for which we have a thread), I'm always relieved not to be Miranda because I always felt she had problems she didn't bring on or deserve.

Miranda's story line was a bit funny because Cynthia Nixon is gay IRL, so her kissing the lesbian and saying, "nope, straight" was a bit of a chuckle.  I liked how she used the misconception to get the dinner with her boss and I remember wondering if she had blown it by fessing up.  Not all bosses would be so understanding, though most lawyers don't disapprove of promoting a misunderstanding (Miranda never said she was gay so she wasn't officially "lying") to get an advantage as much as other professions might.

Was another early episode showing Samantha's desperation.  Definitely preferred Samantha in later eps.

I've known guys that were all 'play the field,' then one day, POOF, they want to get married and end up marrying the very next girlfriend.  Hard to believe Charlotte would dump a guy just because he liked a different china pattern.  Why would the guy ask Carrie to bring her friends (whom he had to know were single, since that's likely how Carrie talked about them), if all of his friends were already paired up?

I don't think I know a single couple that literally have to be touching or practically spooning each other every time they are next to one another, at least after the first few months of marriage.

LOL at Peter.  He didn't want to have sex, he just wanted to show off to another woman. And their hanging on Carrie's every word about her sexcapades, like it was months since they'd had sex or something. 

I loved that Miranda told Syd herself that the fix-up was a mix-up. In her voice-over, Carrie called her "Brave Miranda" and she really was. And telling her firm's senior partner that she just wanted an opportunity to talk to him about her work was brave too. Most people would just say, "We broke up," and let it go at that. But not Miranda. That is one of the things I liked most about her character - a very forthright person who just tells it like it is.

I think having Charlotte dump the guy over the china pattern was pretty stupid - surely if he had been "the one" she would have overlooked that. I guess the writers were not ready for her to be married and paired off yet (understandable -- only 3 episodes in) but that reason for breaking up made Charlotte look silly, immature, and unrealistic. I loved her reaction to finding her half naked doorman in her apartment. And when he said, "Let me get the door for you, miss," and opened the bathroom door, I did laugh out loud.

It's interesting that Carrie had all these friends in the first season (Patience and Peter, David and Lisa, Susan-Sharon later, etc) but later in the series we never saw them. 

Samantha seemed less desperate in this episode, although her getting drunk after realizing she'd hooked up with married men at the party did have a tinge of self-disgust to it.

This episode seemed to flow better than the first 2, and the friendship between the 4 main characters seemed more genuine and believable. 

It's interesting that Carrie had all these friends in the first season (Patience and Peter, David and Lisa, Susan-Sharon later, etc) but later in the series we never saw them.

Carrie's world became increasingly insular over time.  This may have occurred because the stories for the other 3 took up more broadcast space as the series progressed, but I liked Carrie's broader social circle of the early days.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't think I know a single couple that literally have to be touching or practically spooning each other every time they are next to one another, at least after the first few months of marriage.

I work with a woman like this. Well, I've never met her husband, but I'm assuming that's what they're like when they're together. They talk/text at least 20 times during the work day and she's constantly gushing about how in love they are and how blissfully happy they are together. My husband would kill me if I did that, and if he was constantly pinging me all day long it would drive me nuts. We're both busy and have things to do, and unless there's something specific we need to discuss, we talk when we get home. But to each their own. My co-worker has told me a bit about her first husband, who sounds like a world class a-hole, so I figured when she was back on the dating market she was probably looking for someone who would dote on her the way her current husband does now. Normally I think people who do that are over compensating for something, but in her case I think it's genuine.

Overall the single/married storyline didn't ring true for me, but I'm sure there were elements of truth to it. I never got the "poor single girl" vibe when I was single. I also don't do the predatory swoop thing to my husband if I see him talking to a woman at a social gathering. I trust him. He can to talk to and be friends with other women and I'm not threatened by that. In my view if you see your husband talking to a woman (attractive or otherwise) and you feel you have to drag him away from the conversation, the problem isn't anything like Samantha in a low-cut dress. It's indicative of your rampant insecurity or deeper problems in your marriage.

Edited by Queasy-bo
  • Love 4

It's indicative of your rampant insecurity or deeper problems in your marriage.

It has been a while since I last saw this episode, but I think that's what they were conveying -- that there are women who feel that insecure about their marriages.

I never got the "poor single girl" vibe when I was single.

This was a big theme of Bridget Jones as well, so it must be true in at least some circles.  But I also hung out with people who didn't make me feel that way (I married at 36).

(edited)

I work with a woman like this. Well, I've never met her husband, but I'm assuming that's what they're like when they're together. They talk/text at least 20 times during the work day and she's constantly gushing about how in love they are and how blissfully happy they are together. My husband would kill me if I did that, and if he was constantly pinging me all day long it would drive me nuts. We're both busy and have things to do, and unless there's something specific we need to discuss, we talk when we get home. But to each their own. My co-worker has told me a bit about her first husband, who sounds like a world class a-hole, so I figured when she was back on the dating market she was probably looking for someone who would dote on her the way her current husband does now. Normally I think people who do that are over compensating for something, but in her case I think it's genuine.

Overall the single/married storyline didn't ring true for me, but I'm sure there were elements of truth to it. I never got the "poor single girl" vibe when I was single. I also don't do the predatory swoop thing to my husband if I see him talking to a woman at a social gathering. I trust him. He can to talk to and be friends with other women and I'm not threatened by that. In my view if you see your husband talking to a woman (attractive or otherwise) and you feel you have to drag him away from the conversation, the problem isn't anything like Samantha in a low-cut dress. It's indicative of your rampant insecurity or deeper problems in your marriage.

Unfortunately, that still seems to be the case. I certainly agree with what you're saying, but there are so many women who are of the thought "Well, it's the other women who I don't trust" when it comes to situations like that. My friend and I had this disagreement last year about that very thing. (And now that I'm typing this, I realize that I'm talking about the same friend I mentioned in either the first episode re-watch thread or another of the SatC threads.) Anyway, she pulled that whole "Women out here make it for hard for men to commit because there are so many women who are willing to have sex with a guy even if he's taken" viewpoint. I love my friend, but I was like, "Noooooo!!!" After some back and forth, I had to just end that topic because she was (and remains) convinced that if women were "virtuous" (not her word but certainly the concept she was getting at) and acted like "ladies" (definitely her word), it wouldn't give men the opportunity to be cads. 

So, a woman like Patience reminds me of/epitomizes that whole thought process. Like, they need to keep an eye out on their husbands/boyfriends because they've convinced themselves that women are lurking around the corner ready to corrupt their husbands.

Edited by Mozelle

Oh, Mozelle, I feel you. I hate that attitude so much. For one thing, it makes women responsible for the actions of reasoning, adult men. Which is ridiculous.

And for another, we all know stories of couples who found each other when they were with someone else (I know of at least one where both were married to someone else, although admittedly that's a little unsettling).

So in the end, the problem or lack of it is in the relationship. If it's secure, all is well. If not, not.

This does not apply to long-distance situations, in my opinion. I think proximity is a big big thing in all relationships, friendships, family, anything, and love too. I meant to stay in touch with my best friend from college and I'm sure if we hung out we'd pick up where we left off, but she lives 2,000 miles away and is not in touch with me on all the little things.  But that's off topic.

• Love 1

I've never had the poor single girl thing, I usually get the passive aggressive it must be nice to read in the afternoon, I have laundry, chores and kids, or assumption that you can stay late at work since you have no husband and/or kids or if there's a chance to leave work early, they think should get to go first because they have a husband and/or kids. 

I don't understand why women are so worried about the single girl stealing their man. For most women, a married man hitting on you is a big turn off. 

I can't believe Charlotte broke up with a guy over china pattern. It would be one thing if it just didn't work out, but really china pattern? But I did like how the doorman offering to open the bathroom door for her. That was funny. 

• Love 1
I can't believe Charlotte broke up with a guy over china pattern. It would be one thing if it just didn't work out, but really china pattern?

Seasons later, she dumped a guy for bringing her carnations, so she has stayed true to form.

• Love 1

Seasons later, she dumped a guy for bringing her carnations, so she has stayed true to form.

In Charlotte's defense, the carnation guy was a dud as well.  Like Carrie (Ugh.) I am also a carnation lover.  That spicy smell!

Also, that was a bad date, not a relationship she was dumping. His bringing her carnations was a sign that it was a clueless guy, but as Carrie pointed out as I recall, none of that really matters when you like a guy.

The china pattern thing was beyond stupid, though. She should have known whether she liked him or not by then.

I don't recall how long Charlotte dated in-a-hurry-to-get-married-guy but I thought it hadn't been long.  Anyway, it was episode 3 or 4 and the writers could afford to be a little flip then.  They didn't know it would run for 6 seasons and get all serious!

• Love 1

So, a woman like Patience reminds me of/epitomizes that whole thought process. Like, they need to keep an eye out on their husbands/boyfriends because they've convinced themselves that women are lurking around the corner ready to corrupt their husbands.

Yes, this exactly. If my husband flashed my friend, my reaction wouldn't be saying, "You shameless wanton hussy, get out of my house right now!" to my friend. It would be saying, "Um, honey, why did you flash my friend? It's creepy, weird, and sex offender-ish. WTF is wrong with you?" to my husband. That was not Carrie's fault, so it was stupid for Patience to act as if it was. 

• Love 4

Thoughts as I watched the episode:

I'm not sure I would tell my friend about seeing her husband's penis. That seems like it would be more awkward than the incident itself.

I like Softball Sid. What a good sport. And I love that Miranda just told her the truth.

Carrie says she doesn't like being single at family functions. Lol, have we ever seen her go to a family function?

In the scene where she and the Marrying Guy are walking down the street after buying the cheese grater... is Carrie wearing a Hanson t-shirt under her coat?

Samantha was right, that party was terrible. Who goes to a party and stands by the wall talking only to their significant other? All of Sean's friends, apparently.

Poor Tommy the lonely doorman.

I wonder what Season Six Charlotte would think of Season One Charlotte turning down a guy over a China pattern.

the problem isn't anything like Samantha in a low-cut dress. It's indicative of your rampant insecurity or deeper problems in your marriage.

Normally I would agree with you, but since Samantha apparently slept with half the dudes at that party, maybe there's something there. Most of the clingy women didn't know that, though.

Yes, this exactly. If my husband flashed my friend, my reaction wouldn't be saying, "You shameless wanton hussy, get out of my house right now!" to my friend. It would be saying, "Um, honey, why did you flash my friend? It's creepy, weird, and sex offender-ish. WTF is wrong with you?" to my husband. That was not Carrie's fault, so it was stupid for Patience to act as if it was. 

I always assumed that she rushed Carrie out because she was embarrassed and pissed at him, not because she thought Carrie was at fault. It seemed to me that he'd done this before and she wanted Carrie out so she could deal with her skeevy husband in peace.

In context of the episode, though, it probably makes more sense that she felt threatened by Carrie and that's where her attitude came from, it just wasn't the vibe I got.

• Love 1

That wife burned me up, the way she acted all huffy with Carrie about her husband's creepy behavior, when HE is the one being completely inappropriate and dropping trou in front of her friends?!

Wives like that are just the worst, like it's their single girlfriends' faults that their husbands act like sick pervs when left unattended. Ugh.

• Love 1