Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers Only Thread: Season 8

scarynikki12
  • Start Topic

Colton Haynes is returning to Arrow for the final season
By Chancellor Agard October 03, 2019
https://ew.com/tv/2019/10/03/arrow-colton-haynes-returns-season-8/

EW has exclusively learned that Colton Haynes is indeed returning to Arrow and will recur in the final season. The news arrives two months after the star’s demotion from series regular status sparked some fear that he might not appear in the CW superhero drama’s farewell song. Thankfully, those worries were all for naught.

“We couldn’t have ended the show without having him back,” showrunner Beth Schwartz tells EW.

802 synopsis...
https://www.spoilertv.com/2019/10/arrow-episode-802-welcome-to-hong-kong.html

ARROW
“Welcome to Hong Kong” — (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

THE RETURN OF TATSU – Oliver (Stephen Amell), John (David Ramsey), Laurel (Katie Cassidy Rogers), and Tatsu (guest star Rila Fukushima) seek out an important person within The Monitor’s (guest star LaMonica Garrett) plan. Connor (Joseph David Jones) has a heart to heart with his brother (guest star Charlie Barnett).  Antonio Negret directed the episode written by Jill Blankenship & Sarah Tarkoff (#802). Original airdate 10/22/2019.

Interview on the red carpet at The CW's Summer TCA All Star Party on Aug. 4 in Beverly Hills, CA...

Arrow | Ben Lewis And Katherine McNamara | The CW
The CW Network   Oct. 6, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8Y_XzZv3GU

-- BL: "It's great to be coming on, both of us being series regulars, in the last season. Feels really special. I mean, they have such a well-oiled machine there. It's such a great family. We're just really lucky to be a part of it."

-- KM: "What's great about this season is, we see Mia try to be a part of a team for the first time. And she does not play well with others. She was raised by, um, Felicity in isolation, trained by Nyssa al Ghul, so she was never really trained to play well with others. And we get to see her try and maybe fail at that for a little while before she figures it out."

-- BL: "It's really interesting because both of our characters were raised as essentially only children. And so now, we, um, are trying to figure out how to be, um, a family. And also I feel like, with the Arrowverse, it's like the possibilities are endless, you know what I mean, for what the future could hold."

'Arrow' star Joseph David-Jones says Connor Hawke could play a major role in spin-off 'Canaries'
Remus Noronha Oct 9, 2019
https://meaww.com/green-arrow-joseph-david-jones-interview-canaries-2040-connor-hawke-spin-off-cw-season-8

Joseph David-Jones' Connor Hawke has been a very important part of The CW's 'Arrow' since season 7 and the actor has been promoted to a series regular for the upcoming eighth and final season. Speaking in an interview with MEA WorldWide (MEAWW), David-Jones revealed that though 'Arrow' is coming to an end, fans can still hope to see more of Connor, possibly as part of the 'Canaries' spin-off that was reported to be in development at The CW last month.

"I definitely don't think it's going to be the end for Connor," the actor said. "I am excited to see how he fits into things going forward. I think we’re going to see more of him. With this spin-off and with everything, it is going to be a different show from 'Arrow'. It's finding its own pace, has its own rhythm, but I'm interested to see where Connor kind of fits into all of that and how his relationship with Mia will continue to grow."

David-Jones made his first Arrowverse appearance in season 1 of 'DC's Legends of Tomorrow', where he played an alternate version of Connor who was his timeline's second Green Arrow after Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) went missing in action. Though he's reluctant to reveal too many spoilers, David-Jones doesn't rule out the possibility of him putting on the hood of the Green Arrow once again.

"It's not outside of the realm of possibility," he teased. "There are others who want the same thing and hopefully, it happens." 'Arrow' coming to an end is going to be a landmark moment for the Arrowverse. After all, it was so influential that the entire shared universe of The CW's DC shows takes its name from the series.
The planned spin-off based on the children of Oliver and his friends is going to have some really big shoes to fill and David-Jones is pretty mindful of the fact that any show that hopes to succeed 'Arrow' is going to have its work cut out for it.

"It created a whole universe and it was something that, when they started it, no one knew that it was going to be that big and no one knew that it was going to spawn so many different things, so many different shows into this entire universe," David-Jones said while talking about 'Arrow' ending after season 8.

"I think because of shows like Arrow, it's left behind an entire legacy of grounded credible comic book content. Now there's so many grounded superhero shows where it's really about the characters who are in them as opposed to, you know, just the bad guy of the day. It's no longer this campy thing. It is something where you're watching a real person navigate through issues that we have, but on a scale and through a narrative that is indicative of comic books and it's changed the face of TV," he added.

"I think people will always remember this show for doing that. It’s such a delicate thing working on a spin-off for this because nobody wants to do injustice to 'Arrow'. It started everything. So they’re trying to honor the legacy of something and then they'll have it be its own thing."

• Love 1

'Arrow' Season 8 Episode 2’s anticipated heart-to-heart between Connor and JJ is the scene Joseph David-Jones is most proud of
By Remus Noronha   Oct 10, 2019
https://meaww.com/arrow-season-8-cw-joseph-david-jones-charlie-barnett-connor-hawke-john-diggle-jr-episode-2-scene 

... From the synopsis of episode 2, we already know we'll be seeing Connor and JJ have a heart-to-heart conversation and in an interview with MEA WorldWide (MEAWW), David-Jones gave us a small tease of what to expect from that interaction.  

"Obviously, we're going to have some great things with Charlie and everything," he said while talking about the upcoming season. "And then in episode 2, the heart of it really comes out and we have this powerful scene between the two of us. I would say that scene's probably been my favorite issue. If not that, then the scene from last season episode 16, the one between Connor and Mia but I would say this scene is as strong and as contentious as that scene was with Mia, and I can't wait for people to see that that's one of the things that I'm the proudest of."
Connor and JJ form an interesting binary because while Connor, who is Diggle's adopted son, is a hero and an agent of Knightwatch, his brother JJ is the 2040 version of Deathstroke. David-Jones remarked that it is a pretty conflicting relationship, especially since JJ and Connor grew up together and were there for each other through highs and lows for the longest time, right up until JJ's turn to villainy.

"It's a conflicting one," he said. "And it's something that I haven't had the chance to play on yet in this universe so trying to find those moments, trying to establish and build a history with him has led to some great themes in this next season and I really can't wait for people to see it. You're going to see so much more of Connor than we did last season. I think we really just touched the surface in terms of his background and relationship with his family so now you'll see those things play out with these people."

803 synopsis...

Arrow - Episode 8.03 - Leap of Faith - Promotional Photos + Press Release
Posted by SpoilerTV at October 12, 2019
https://www.spoilertv.com/2019/10/arrow-episode-803-leap-of-faith-press.html

ARROW
“Leap of Faith” — (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

WILLA HOLLAND GUEST STARS – Reunited with his sister, Oliver (Stephen Amell) and Thea (guest star Willa Holland) find themselves searching through a familiar maze of catacombs. Meanwhile, John (David Ramsey) and Lyla (guest star Audrey Marie Anderson) partner on a special ops mission. Katie Cassidy directed the episode written by Emilio Ortega Aldrich & Elizabeth Kim (#803). Original airdate 10/29/2019.

Source links for 803 promos pics...
https://www.cwtvpr.com/the-cw/photos?page=1&show=arrow&season=&episode=
http://www.greenarrowtv.com/arrow-leap-of-faith-photos-willa-holland-returns/
https://www.spoilertv.com/2019/10/arrow-episode-803-leap-of-faith-press.html
https://tvline.com/gallery/arrow-season-8-photos-final-season/

Edited by tv echo

Stephen Amell Promises Arrow Will Tie Up Loose Ends in the Final Season
By Lindsay MacDonald | Oct 11, 2019
https://www.tvguide.com/news/arrow-season-8-stephen-amell-interview-final-season/

"I think that the writers, along with certainly me this year — we've been having a lot of fun," Amell told TV Guide of Season 8, which not only has a shortened episode order but will also incorporate some pretty crazy "event episodes" that will throw fans for a total loop. "I am happy with the number of ... loose ends we tied up ... [and] the amount of closure that Oliver gets."

This has been a tough season to film though. "We've effectively been like a traveling road show this year," explained Amell. "One episode we're here, then the next episodes we're here, and the next episode we're there, and everyone's worked so hard. I feel like we are finishing ... stronger than we've ever been on the show. That's been my favorite part."

Showrunner Beth Schwartz echoed Amell's "traveling road show" comparison at a recent press screening of the Season 8 premiere, telling reporters, "In our upcoming episodes, we visit places that we've gone to in our previous season. So they'll take place in different locations. I think we only have, like, maybe one or two episodes actually in Star City."

That's fine though, because according to Amell, one of the season's most exciting episodes actually happens to be one of the episodes that takes place in Oliver's hometown. "I'm looking forward to the audience reaction to Episode 804. [It's] really cool, really emotional, and it's actually the only episode this year where I feel like the team doesn't go anywhere," Amell said. "I feel like in every other episode we go somewhere, but Episode 804, we are parked in Star City."
But one place you probably shouldn't expect Oliver to visit, however, is that little log cabin where Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) and baby Mia are camped out. There's still no confirmation that Rickards will be back for a cameo (though hope springs eternal of course), so the writers had a difficult time figuring out how to keep her out of sight but not out of mind.

"I wouldn't say it's easy. It was very weird... especially writing the first script without her. It was sad," Schwartz said of Felicity's absence. "I love writing her character and always miss writing for her. We just had to creatively come up with a way of keeping her still there without seeing her, and that's sort of what we've done all season."

Beth Schwartz Talks Arrow Season 8, Writing Without Felicity & The Backdoor Pilot
Craig Byrne   October 11, 2019
http://www.greenarrowtv.com/beth-schwartz-talks-arrow-season-8-writing-without-felicity-the-backdoor-pilot/

“Each episode is just huge,” she said during a press Q&A hosted by The CW on Thursday. “It’s humongous, and also just trying to squeeze all the characters we can that we want to see for the last time has been really fun. I feel like almost every episode, if not every episode, there’s a fun surprise guest from previous seasons,” she teased, offering that very few of the episodes of the final season will actually take place in Star City.

It all starts with the October 15 season premiere, which Schwartz described as “a love letter to the pilot and to the series” as well as what Oliver has meant to all of the other characters in the show. “This season is our series’ Greatest Hits as well as a build-up to Crisis,” Beth offered.

There are a few characters still not announced or confirmed to be returning for the final year, but the absence that will surely be felt the most by fandom is that Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards) is no longer a series regular. What is it like to write the series without her?

“It was very weird, especially writing the first script without her,” Beth reflected. “It was sad. I love writing her character and always miss writing for her. We just had to creatively come up with a way of keeping her still there without seeing her, and that’s sort of what we’ve done all season,” she continued.

Finally, three of the women of Arrow — Kat McNamara‘s Mia Smoak, Katie Cassidy Rodgers‘ Laurel Lance, and Juliana Harkavy‘s Dinah Drake — are the focus of a backdoor pilot for a possible series to continue after Arrow is done. We have no title yet (we’re expecting it to be something like Canaries), and Beth described the preparation of the backdoor pilot at the same time they are trying to wrap up the series as “crazy, but really fun.”

“We’re super excited about the potential of a new series, and all of our kickass women. It’s been crazy, but really fun,” she said, offering that the spinoff won’t affect their approach to the 2040 storyline that McNamara currently stars in.

“We always knew what that story was going to be, and the pilot is its own kind of different beast, I would say,” she revealed.

Arrow EP Beth Schwartz Talks Moira Queen’s Return
Craig Byrne   October 11, 2019
http://www.greenarrowtv.com/arrow-ep-beth-schwartz-talks-moira-queens-return/

Earlier this week, Arrow showrunner and Executive Producer Beth Schwartz, who was a writer on the episode that took Moira away in the first place, spoke during a press Q&A about how special it is to have her back for the final season opener which airs October 15 on The CW.

“Moira Queen is such a dynamic character and her death still haunts all of us I think, especially Oliver, and I think that what we like the most about having her in the premiere is he now has his own children,” Beth — herself a new mother — said. “So to have his mother give him advice about motherhood to him — you know, now he’s a father — was just such a perfect moment.”

“I tear up every time I see the scene between the two of them, because they’re so great together. And yeah, it was [able] to give him some closure as well, to say he’s sorry for what happened to her,” Schwartz continued.

Edited by tv echo

How Arrow Is Using John Diggle And Bronze Tiger For The Flash-Forwards, According To One Star
Laura Hurley   October 11, 2019
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2482124/how-arrow-is-using-john-diggle-and-bronze-tiger-for-the-flash-forwards-according-to-one-star

... Only time will tell if more characters from the present turn up in the future, but Season 8 regular Joseph David-Jones (Connor Hawke) explained to CinemaBlend that two present characters will impact the flash-forwards: John Diggle and Bronze Tiger.
The future timeline in the seventh season revealed that Connor rose above his status as the biological son of an Arrow baddie to become a hero, whereas JJ seemingly became a villain despite his status as the son of two Arrow heroes. Joseph David-Jones spoke with CinemaBlend about Arrow Season 8, and when I asked what it has been like to play with the expectations of the son of a bad guy vs. the son of heroes with Connor and JJ, David-Jones said this:

"In a different timeline, in a different world, I was JJ, I was the son of John Diggle. So it's kind of funny reevaluating who I am and where I fit in with this new timeline, universe. But there's so much to play with with that, and there's a bit of turmoil and knowing what is inside of me and where I came from to be the person that Connor is now. Because we find out that he wasn't always the person that he is now. You get to see that a lot in this season that's coming up. You get to see what went into Connor becoming sort of this Diggle-esque character in Arrow now. And also you get to see what led JJ to being where he is, and playing with that and working with Charlie [Barnett] has been amazing to sort of find that defining moment within that to bring these characters to life."
Joseph David-Jones went on to share how Charlie Barnett has fit into the cast and helped build the key relationship between the adoptive brothers:

"It's been great. A lot of the new people, we're still trying to find out what we can bring to the show, especially now that it's coming to an end. Finding times to meet and work on relationships with some of the veteran cast is a bit difficult. They all have so much that they're working on, but whenever new people come in as well there's a chance to really take time on our days off and work through these histories with these people and then personalize a lot of things. And Charlie works like that. He works very well. So we met up a couple times to sort of figure out our relationship because this bond that I have with him [as Connor] is the strongest for me in the show. I really did want to find what that was and how to personalize and how to really feel these things that I'm saying. He was amazing. He's amazing in it. You're gonna love him, you're gonna hate him. He walks that line pretty well."
Given that Diggle played a major role in shaping Connor on the show, I asked Joseph David-Jones if he'd met up with David Ramsey, who has played John Diggle ever since Arrow's pilot way back in 2012, about shaping Connor as a character:

"Oh yeah! We had talks and hung out a handful of times, but he gave less advice on my character and everything and more advice on the show and working as an actor in general. He's been doing this for a while, and he's gotten an understanding of the industry and he's creating his own projects and everything like that. So he's given me a lot of life advice. As well as show advice and character advice and all that stuff, but the relationship that I have with him is that of somewhat of a mentor. He's a good dude. He's a funnier version of who he plays on the show. That's the best way I can describe him. He's genuine but funny."

Joseph David Jones Talks the Arrow Finale and the Crisis Crossover Event
Collider Interviews  Oct. 11, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DAGMK-Q7P4

-- JDJ said that "they have a Bible of everything that's ever happened on the show" and mentioned that there are a lot of callbacks to past seasons that will be included in this final season.

-- JDJ mentioned being sad at times while shooting scenes because this was the last time they would ever shoot on a particular set. He then added: "But we'll see what happens with this - this spinoff show and how - you know, how many people end up being - yeah."

-- JDJ: "Without giving too much away, like, I've - 'cause there's so many Easter eggs in this crossover this year, I've had to like read my scripts with the Wikipedia. Um, and I'm just like, 'what is that?' (Miming looking back and forth at different pages) 'Oh, [unintelligible word] 75.'"

‘Arrow’ season 8 premiere screener secrets: Return to Starling City
BY JAY RUYMANN | 12:00 PM EDT, OCTOBER 12, 2019
https://www.hypable.com/arrow-season-8-premiere-secrets/

‘Arrow’ 8×01 screener secrets

Oliver, Diggle, and Laurel
Of the stars in the episode, the most focus falls on Oliver, Diggle, and (Earth-2) Laurel. Though the latter two don’t share many scenes together, the relationships between Oliver and Laurel and Oliver and Diggle are further explored and set the precedent for how “Team Arrow” is going to come together as Oliver faces imminent death.

There are a few truly heartwarming scenes between Oliver and Laurel that showcase the growth in their relationship since she first decided to put her life as Black Siren behind her. And, lest we forget, Oliver and Diggle’s brotherhood is partially where the series began, and the premiere highlights their unbreakable bond.

The Hood v. The Hood
Being back in Starling City, and paralleling the pilot, there has to be the “Hood” which was Oliver’s moniker when he first returned to and began his vigilantics on Arrow season 1. As briefly seen in the trailer below (at 1:59), there is indeed a fight between two people using “The Hood” to hide their identities.
A Black Canary comic reference and Felicity’s presence
Many Laurel Lance fans have expressed hope for years now for a scene between the Green Arrow and Black Canary where he refers to her as her oft-used nickname in the comics: Pretty Bird. Though it’s a bit unexpected, this nickname is used in reference to Laurel.

And even though Felicity Smoak will not be around this season due to Emily Bett Rickards’ departure, the premiere does not forget about her important role in Oliver, Diggle, and Laurel’s lives. One of the many callbacks is even to Felicity’s first appearance on the series.

John Diggle Jr. appears in 2040
As promised (and already told to us), JJ Diggle — revealed to be the leader of the Deathstroke gang in the final episodes of Arrow season 7 — makes an appearance and interrupts a team outing.

A life-changing finale
The end of the episode is, honestly, one of the most incredible things Arrow has ever done. It sets the tone for the entire season, and really gives the characters something to think about and something to prepare for as they try to save Star City one last time in these final nine episodes.

Nothing will ever be the same in the Arrow-verse after this.
A beautiful tribute to fans
Arrow season 8 is starting off incredibly strong with a premiere that has numerous callbacks to the pilot episode (like, seriously, so many it was impossible to keep track of). For the start of the final season, I was (mostly) impressed by this episode and how much of it was to honor the fans while still providing a solid plot and setting up the importance of “Crisis on Infinite Earths.”

So many familiar faces— including Moira, Tommy, and Malcolm — make an appearance in this episode. It’s so wonderful to see them around again as the show has never really been the same without them. And for a season premiere, I was not disappointed at all. This episode truly exceeded my expectations.
The unnecessary flash-forwards
The only really disappointing part of the episode was the future timeline. It takes a little bit to kick up the heat in the present day (which is totally worth it), but honestly, this episode would have been so much better without the 2040 story.

The flash-forwards could have waited an episode and devoted every minute of the episode to honoring the pilot episode and season 1, but we’re stuck watching the growing pains of the new team in the future after Felicity, Dinah, and Roy appointed them to save Star City now that the wall has fallen around the Glades. As much as I enjoyed these flash-forwards for most of season 7, it was really disheartening to see the time that was wasted on it when Oliver and co. are no longer going to be with us in just a few months.
Be sure to stick around Hypable for our interview with Katie Cassidy and our full, spoiler-y review of the Arrow season 8 premiere!

Arrow Season 8 Review
By Eric Joseph   October 12, 2019
https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/arrow-season-8-review/

This review is based off the season premiere.
As you may have heard, most installments making up the ten episodes comprising the eighth and final season will revisit earlier years in a sense. The upcoming opener, “Starling City,” is a nod to season 1. In fact, I’d go as far to say it’s like watching the pilot and season finale all wrapped in one; you’ll see some familiar beats revisited but in ways that won’t make you think “been there, done that.” Once you tune in, you’ll fully understand the delicate balance that Beth Schwartz and company achieved.
Now, it’s important to stress that I’m not at liberty to divulge certain plot points, though you won’t have to strain yourself too hard to figure out how Ollie’s able to find himself in parallel situations on a show where the concept of the multiverse has already been established. Just rest assured that, despite whatever intentional disorientation you may experience in the opening minutes, the Oliver Queen you’re watching is the same man you’ve come to know and love during the previous seven seasons. It’ll all make sense in context in very short order, just trust me on that.

Along the way, we’ll reunite with familiar favorites such as John Diggle (David Ramsey) and Laurel Lance (Katie Cassidy Rodgers), while others like Moira Queen (Susanna Thompson), Malcolm Merlyn (John Barrowman), Tommy Merlyn (Colin Donnell) and Adrian Chase (Josh Segarra) are utilized much differently than they were in the past. Some twists you’ll see coming, some you won’t.

If the premiere is any indicator of what’s to come, we’re in for the Arrow we’ve grown used to, only with a bit of a science fiction twist. With the “Crisis on Infinite Earths” crossover looming, this series in particular will play a major part in serving as prologue. Believe me, you won’t want to miss the closing moments of this bad boy.

Something else that amazes me is how this show hasn’t lost its touch when it comes to fight choreography. I wanted to take a moment to discuss this element, as it’s always been a highlight in my eyes. James Bamford, Stephen Amell and the rest of the stunt team never cease to bring their A-game. And when an episode such as this boasts Bamford’s name as director, you know you’re in for something truly special.
When it comes to the flash forward segments, however, I remain highly indifferent regarding those. The unfolding storyline taking place in 2040 had its ups and downs during season 7, ultimately feeling disconnected from what was going down in 2018-19 and superfluous in the end. Right now, there’s still no apparent connection to what’s going on in the present and future, but I’m willing to give the B-plot a chance.

The reason I’m willing to do that is because I really want to see why John Diggle Jr. (Charlie Barnett) becomes the Deathstroke of tomorrow. Really, what causes the son of a hero to choose the path of the villain? To me, at least, that’s where the majority of the intrigue comes from, even if launching a spinoff starring Katherine McNamara’s Mia Smoak is the end goal.
FANTASTIC
Even with the sci-fi twist applied, Arrow is still the Arrow you've come to know and love after all these years. If anything, it's already proving to be a fitting end to an incredible journey.

'Arrow’ star Katie Cassidy-Rodgers hopes Laurel follows through on her promise to be a hero
Jay Ruymann   October 13, 2019
https://www.hypable.com/katie-cassidy-arrow-season-8/ 

When Arrow season 8 begins, Laurel Lance is working to become the hero she promised she would be, finding the line between right and wrong, and working to move past her old Black Siren ways. As previously teased by Katie Cassidy-Rodgers, she has a new partner on her mission to save the city.

However, that doesn’t prevent her from working with Oliver and Diggle on the former’s mission from the Monitor (as teased in our Arrow season 8, episode 1 spoiler-free preview). As the series comes to an end, I’m hopeful to see Laurel Lance become the hero her counterpart was and a crucial part of Team Arrow’s lives.
As a fan of Laurel Lance, I’m excited to see where her journey leads her. The premiere does a great job at beginning the exploration of what being a hero looks like to her, and how she handles the responsibility of it.

We had a chance to speak with Arrow star Katie Cassidy-Rodgers about Laurel Lance’s journey this season, how she’s coming along on her promise to become the Black Canary, and how this new dynamic between Laurel, Oliver, and John will work. Read on!
Can you confirm that you’ll be appearing as Black Siren this season?
[Katie Cassidy-Rodgers:]
 I mean, again, Laurel Lance, Black Siren, Canary, the different roles that I have portrayed, you will see glimpses of them throughout the season. And I think this season really focuses on the entire show as a whole. And if I think it’ll be really fun because we’ll see familiar locations, potential familiar faces, and … I think they’ll really appreciate all of it. And if I can say anything to the fans before our season premiere, which is Tuesday the 15th, they should re-watch the pilot and then even the whole series if they can to really get to appreciate the show entirely and end this season entirely. Because it’s really been incredible and I’m just, yeah, I’m excited for everyone to see it. It’s awesome.

You have a new costume this season! Which one has been your favorite and did you have any input on this newest one?
My favorite costume is definitely by far this new costume. It really truly feels like the Black Canary. It feels like Laurel Lance. It feels almost truer to the comic book than we’ve seen, and I think that’s really cool. It’s been really, yeah, it’s been really incredible. I wish I had it sooner. So this costume is definitely by far my favorite, and I think it’ll be the fan favorite as well. And I actually did not have input on this one, but it’s still really empowering and badass to wear, and I can certainly appreciate all of the time that went into it in terms of designing it and putting it together. It’s incredible.
How would you describe the dynamic between Laurel, Oliver, and Diggle this season?
I think that Laurel’s arc this season is really about fulfilling her promise to become a hero and discovering exactly what it means to be a hero. The good and the bad. I think that in terms of Oliver, and Diggle, and Laurel, it’s almost like they’re on the same playing field in a way. And I really think we get a chance to really see that. And I feel like she really is playing her part in being a member of this team. And again, going out there and feeling like she’s an equal. And I think it’s pretty incredible and it’s really fun. It’s been awesome.

Would you say Laurel’s fully redeemed when we see her this season or is she still struggling with the battle of right and wrong as she tries to be a hero?
I think she’s still discovering again, what it means to be a hero. And I think there’s still lessons to be had and she’s fulfilling her promise. But yes, there’s good, there’s bad, there’s hardship at times, and she’s seeing all sides of it.
Will Laurel develop a closer bond with anyone in particular this season?
I think we’ll get a chance to see her develop a closer bond with several people this season than you maybe wouldn’t necessarily have thought.
Where do you hope to see Laurel when the series ends?
... I hope to see her fulfill her promise as she is doing throughout the season and sort of to be in a position where she could do this — be a hero — given all of the things that she’s learned. I think that makes her strong enough to maybe be in a position where, whether it be her, whether it’d be her and the team, but she’s ready to be there and that’s where she belongs.
You said a few months ago that you pitched an idea for a ‘Birds of Prey’ TV show. Were any of your ideas included in this potential spin-off?
Well, the fact that I’m a part of it and as we know the other individuals who are a part of it, I would hope to think that’s sort of the direction they’re going, more that ‘Birds of Prey’ type that I had suggested. And I think now, more than ever, is definitely a time for women. And it certainly seems that way in regards to what the spin-off is and what it looks like. But yeah, I’m really excited, and I think that they will in one way or another, in a clever way, incorporate that.

So, Laurel and Dinah will both be part of the spinoff. During Arrow season 8, will we continue to see their relationship grow?
Yeah, I think there’s definitely more depth there, for sure.

• Love 1

'Arrow' Season 8 will see Connor and Mia in love-hate relationship as Star City’s protectors reveals Joseph David-Jones
Remus Noronha   Oct. 14, 2019
https://meaww.com/joseph-david-jones-interview-arrow-season-8-connor-hawke-mia-smoak-crisis-on-infinite-earths-teasers

In an interview with MEA WorldWide (MEAWW), David-Jones gave us some exciting teasers about Connor's journey in season 8, his relationship with Mia Smoak (Katherine McNamara), and the upcoming crossover 'Crisis on Infinite Earths'.

"I can't give too much away about 'Crisis,'" he said. "Only to say that after it happens, everything is going to change. I mean obviously, you know Arrow's coming to an end, but it's going to affect everything. The whole world of the Arrowverse is going to change because of what it is. I just know that it's going to be nuts, man. Just amazing." 

Connor's relationship with Mia played a huge role in making last season's flash-forwards to 2040 a fun watch. In the coming season, David-Jones teased that we'll be seeing that relationship explored further and he didn't rule out the chances of a romance between the two when we quizzed him about it.
"I'd say there's a chance, just out of last season, but they're not gonna make it easy," he laughed. "They're not gonna make it easy for the fans at all. We start off and it's like a love-hate thing, you know. There is... not conflict but there is some trouble with things when we kick-off and they're still trying to figure this whole thing out, navigate being heroes now tasked with protecting the city on their own. And they don't know how to do that."

"So it's them trying to figure out who should take the lead, what they should do, how they should work together as a team. And Mia just, in general, doesn't like to work as a team. So there's a lot of conflict between them but there's still a lot of love there, a lot of history. So I think we'll see a difficult balance because Connor really does care about her and vice versa," he added. 

'Arrow' Season 8 Premiere Features 'Throwback' Felicity Moment, Producer Says (Exclusive)
By Philiana Ng‍ 7:00 AM PDT, October 15, 2019
https://www.etonline.com/arrow-season-8-premiere-features-throwback-felicity-moment-producer-says-exclusive-134350

"We're using 'Crisis' in its run-up as an opportunity to re-examine the show -- to look back and, as [showrunner] Beth [Schwartz] says, revisit our greatest hits," executive producer Marc Guggenheim tells ET of Arrow's final run. "That's something that is definitely true within the episodes leading up to the crossover and it's even true in the Arrow episode of the crossover. The Arrow episode is a little bit more of a hat tip to Arrow than the other shows are doing [during the crossover]."
"We want to be true to Arrow while engaging in this enormous crossover. We got our heads together and I feel like because of it, we're going to honor the past seven seasons... instead of just doing another season with the same structure," Schwartz tells ET. "We're going to touch on characters we haven't seen in a while. We're going to tie up some loose ends from every season. With this new structure it's allowed us to do that. It actually helped us make this last season the best season we'll have hopefully."
"The season premiere is like a remix of the pilot. It really revisits fun, key moments in the pilot -- to the point where when I sent my scenes off to Beth, I said, 'In a good way, it didn't feel like a season premiere, it felt like a series finale because it is so backward looking.' It plays as a real acknowledgment of the show," Guggenheim hinted, with Schwartz expressing, "I think that the fans are going to love [the premiere]. It was so fun to write."

"It was really important to me that our favorite places that mean so much to the series are something we revisit in the final season. Not only characters but settings," Schwartz continued, adding that it was important that they honor key characters from past seasons, like Thea Queen (Willa Holland), Tatsu (Rila Fukushima), Talia al Ghul (Lexa Doig), Yao Fei Gulong (Byron Mann) and Adrian Chase (Josh Segarra). "We only get one last chance to see Tommy or other characters, so what do we want to do with them? Who do we want to see? What scenes do we want to see? We only have 10 episodes; this is our last chance. That opened up our wish list of what we wanted to do."
For Thea's return to Arrow, which takes place in the third episode (titled "Leap of Faith"), Guggenheim hinted that a lot of answers will be given about what the younger Queen sibling has been up to. "We very clearly tell the audience where she is, what she's been doing since season six. It's a good update," he promised. "Of course, we have to do that relative to what we learned with Roy's character last year, so all those questions will get answered."

But what about Felicity Smoak? Emily Bett Rickards' absence is felt in the season eight premiere, who is mentioned often throughout the episode. Because the hour revisits the first season, Guggenheim shared that there is one scene in particular that is a direct call-out to a classic Felicity and Oliver moment. "There's a throwback to Felicity in the season premiere -- Emily's not in it -- but there's a very conscious, and I think funny, acknowledgement of her," he hinted.

Still, Guggenheim holds out hope that Rickards will appear one more time before Arrow officially signs off in early 2020, confessing that his biggest bucket list item is getting the actress back for the swan song. "If Emily were inclined to return for the finale, I know exactly how she would be returning for the finale. And I'm very much like a dog with a bone. Part of the job of producing anything is not taking 'no' for an answer, which is not to say we've gotten 'no' for an answer. You always have to keep trying because you never know. You just never know," he emphasized. "You never close the door on anything. You never know what's going to happen."
"We're not going to solely be in Star City. It's going to be a little more of traveling heroes, going to different location to different location," Schwarz said. "Green Arrow and his team saved Star City last year so that's not what's at stake this season. It's not 'You have failed this city.' Now it's 'You have failed the multiverse.' [Oliver] has to save the multiverse. That's what's allowed us to open up our structure leading up to the crossover and allowed us to visit with some characters who aren't in Star City."

When asked if the final shot of the series has evolved over the past several years, Guggenheim confirmed that there have been changes in his vision for what that last image will look like.

"It's shifted for a variety of different logistical reasons. Things that were originally planned for the series finale are now in the crossover, and by moving those moments into the crossover, it allowed me to look at those moments through a different lens and through a different eye and that changed some things," he said. "Until we actually shoot the finale, Beth and I were talking about this earlier today, I've given myself permission to not be dogmatic about what the finale is and allow myself to remain open for another idea."
"You just want to feel satisfaction -- that watching for eight years, even though you're sad the show ended, you have a feeling of 'Oh, that was really good. I feel OK walking away from the show,'" Schwartz explained. "I just want everyone, and myself included, to feel like that was the perfect ending to a show that I've been watching for eight seasons. My favorite series finale was Six Feet Under; if we can do anything in the vein of that show, I'll be happy. I want it to feel specific to Arrow and a perfect ending to Arrow."

• Love 1

Arrow Showrunner Talks Season 8, Guest Stars and That Backdoor Pilot
by Cynthia Vinney – on Oct 15, 2019 
https://www.cbr.com/arrow-showrunner-season-8-guest-stars-backdoor-pilot/

During a Q&A session following the premiere, showrunner Beth Schwartz confirmed, since there are only 10 episodes left before Arrow ends, each one is “just huge.” Season 8’s first episode is “a love letter to the pilot,” while the season as a whole is “our series' greatest hits as well as a build-up to [Arrowverse crossover] 'Crisis [on Infinite Earths].'”

Yet, the show won’t spend a lot of time in Star City. According to Schwartz, throughout the season “we visit places that we’ve gone to in our previous seasons, so they’ll take place in different locations. I think we only have maybe one or two episodes in Star City.”

... Schwartz noted that the show is “trying to squeeze all the characters we can that we want to see for the last time” before the series takes its final bow. As a result, Schwartz said, “almost every episode, if not every episode, there’s a fun surprise guest from previous seasons.”
One of those characters is Thea Queen, who was played by Willa Holland until she left towards the end of Season 6. Outside of a brief appearance in a seventh season episode, Thea hasn’t been seen since, so fans were excited to learn she would be returning for the final season. It’s a sentiment Schwartz shares. “Obviously we love Willa and she is the show,” Schwartz said. “There’s no way we could have had a final season without her… She comes back in a very cool way.”

Part of the goal in having characters from the past return is to give Oliver Queen closure as the show reaches its end. That’s one of the reasons Oliver’s deceased mother is back in the premiere. “What we liked the most about having [Moira Queen] in the premiere is [Oliver] now has his own children, so to have his mother give him advice about motherhood… was just such a perfect moment,” Schwartz explained. She also added, “It was to give him some closure as well, to say he’s sorry for what happened to her.”
Is there any possibility that Felicity could return before the final season ends? “We welcome her back and we’ll see what happens,” Schwartz teased.
Schwartz also discussed the fun and challenge of wrapping up Arrow while also launching the backdoor pilot for a new show that will revolve around Mia Smoak/Green Arrow (Katherine McNamara), Black Canary (Juliana Harkavy) and Black Siren (Katie Cassidy). Schwartz commented, “It was crazy but really fun. We are super-excited about the potential of a new series and all of our kick-ass women.”

The backdoor pilot will also tell a story separate from Arrow’s flash-forwards into Star City 2040. Schwartz said, “We always knew what [the 2040 storyline] was going to be and our backdoor pilot is its own different beast.”

Arrow: Beth Schwartz on Thea, Harbinger, Baby Sara and Other Season 8 Teases
Craig Byrne   October 15, 2019
http://www.greenarrowtv.com/arrow-beth-schwartz-on-thea-harbinger-baby-sara-and-other-season-8-teases/

Arrow Interview: Stephen Amell Previews The Final Season
Craig Byrne   October 15, 2019
http://www.greenarrowtv.com/arrow-interview-stephen-amell-previews-the-final-season/

Arrow's Final Season Premieres With So Much Queen Family Nostalgia
by LAUREN PIESTER | Tue., Oct. 15, 2019
https://www.eonline.com/news/1081947/arrow-s-final-season-premieres-with-so-much-queen-family-nostalgia

Arrow Boss on Final Season Premiere: The Flash Team Was 'Very Gracious' About Letting Us Destroy [________]
By Matt Webb Mitovich / October 15 2019
https://tvline.com/2019/10/15/arrow-recap-season-8-premiere-earth-two-destroyed-in-crisis/

Edited by tv echo

Katherine McNamara teases how Mia Smoak will cope meeting Oliver Queen in Arrow season 8 
Rebecca Lewis   Thursday 17 Oct 2019
https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/17/katherine-mcnamara-teases-mia-smoak-will-cope-meeting-oliver-queen-arrow-season-8-10930791/

Fans have long suspected it will take place on screen soon – and recent set pictures appear to show Katherine and Stephen together – but the 23-year-old actress tells Metro.co.uk that if it were to happen, it would be ‘the biggest challenge Mia ever faced’.

‘I know it is rumored Mia and Oliver will meet at some point – and I can neither confirm nor deny! – but if it did happen it would rock Mia’s world in a way that would not only change her forever but force her to deal with all the baggage and resentment,’ she says.

‘She has a complicated relationship with her father even though they’ve never met. Being told the vigilantes were evil and the cause of the demise of Star City then learning about his legacy and all the good things he did, everything wonderful he bought to the city, the importance he had to people as a symbol of hope and of redemption?

‘It’s taught her a lot and when confronted face to face she has to deal with the fact that she respects his journey but she feels he chose that over her, and that is a huge obstacle. ‘If they ever do come together.’
Mia’s reveal as Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) and Oliver’s daughter in season seven came as little surprise to fans who have predicted the twist when she first appeared on screen, but the departure of Rickards from the show has left many fearing for the heart of the show. The Shadowhunters star, however, admits that although fans will feel Felicity’s absence it ultimately only benefits her remaining family.
‘Felicity will never not be part of Mia and Oliver’s story just because of who she is,’ insists Katherine, ‘she is the heart and the core of what makes so much of who these people are’. ‘That never goes away whether she is on screen… and Emily is such a big part of both of our journeys on the show so you can’t help but feel the presence in the story and on screen. ‘You do feel her absence but what that does is force Oliver and Mia to find a way without her and learn to stand on their own and adapt without her guiding voice.’
As for what we’re going to get of Mia this season, Katherine promises ‘a different side of Mia, as she is out of her element for most of the season’. ‘She is fighting and doing what she does best, but she is also being forced to be part of a team and being raised by Nyssa and single parent, she is not used to being part of a team or how to handle that, and as the season goes on she will be confronted with a lot of her past and things she never thought possible.’
Among the devastation and loss of certain characters (again), Katherine reveals that the episode she is most looking forward to fans seeing is episode four. ‘They are all incredible and I can give the merits of each episode,’ she says, ‘but episode four, in particular, is heavy in a way that Mia has never been a part of in Arrow and in a way that changes the nature of the story and the trajectory of the characters forever.’

Arrow/The Flash: Burning Qs Answered About Earth-Two, the New Hood, Canaries Spinoff Set-Up and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / October 16 2019
https://tvline.com/2019/10/16/the-flash-earth-two-destroyed-arrow-season-8-premiere/

WAS THAT ABSOLUTELY EARTH-TWO THAT GOT ATTACKED ON ARROW?
Absolutely. For one, Arrow showrunner Beth Schwartz confirmed that she made sure with her colleagues at The Flash that it was “OK” to have a wave of anti-matter consume Earth-Two (from which characters such as Harrison Wells and his daughter Jessie hailed), and “they were very gracious.” Secondly, Arrowverse producer Marc Guggenheim said on Twitter, “You’ll learn the state of Earth-2 next week.” (If the promo can be trusted, the Monitor says it has in fact been “erased from existence.”) And if you demand a third affirmation, just look at how Jay Garrick’s map denoted the next target. Boy, is Oliver gonna feel like crap when he fires up his DVR back home and sees this:
flash-6x02-crisis-map.png?w=607&h=292

WILL ARROW VISIT OTHER ALTERNATE EARTHS?
“Besides the [‘Crisis on Infinite Earths’] crossover,” Schwartz said that the season opener “is the only episode of Arrow that is on a different Earth.”

DIDN’T THE FLASH ALREADY ESTABLISH THAT ROBERT QUEEN WAS ‘THE HOOD’ ON EARTH-TWO?
Yes, an Earth-Two news broadcast in The Flash 2×06 mentioned that Oliver Queen did not survive The Queen’s Gambit‘s sinking, and thus Robert Queen went on to become The Hood. And yet Adrian Chase was revealed as The Hood in Arrow’s season opener. Guggenheim explained on Twitter that, Diggle included, “More than one person has worn the hood on Earth-1. Why assume things would be any different on Earth-2?” He added that the apparent passing of the Earth-Two baton “is a reflection that 6 years have passed” since Papa Queen turned vigilante.

HOW DID DIGGLE’S SON J.J. WIND UP BEING DEATHSTROKE LEVELS OF EVIL?
J.J. and Connor (Ben Turner/Bronze Tiger’s son, whom Diggle and Lyla at some point adopted) “have this really fraught childhood that we’ll explain more in the upcoming episodes,” says Schwartz. “[We’ll see] how they got to this place where … JJ is willing to kill his own brother, and how he went down this path.”

IS ARROW‘S 2040 STORYLINE SETTING UP THE SPINOFF?
It was announced last month that Arrow‘s penultimate episode will serve as a backdoor pilot for Green Arrow and The Canaries, a spinoff starring Katie Cassidy Rodgers, Katherine McNamara and Juliana Harkavy. Schwartz, though, says the prospective offshoot “didn’t really” affect Arrow‘s Season 8 plan for Mia, Connor et al “We always knew what that story was going to be, and the pilot is its own kind of different beast,” she explained.

SPEAKING OF KATIE CASSIDY RODGERS: IS SHE STILL A SERIES REGULAR?
Though billed in the Arrow premiere with “Special Appearance By” (as opposed to last season’s “With”), the original cast member is still a series regular, TVLine has confirmed.

Edited by tv echo

The Koalition is a video game site (bad audio)...

Joseph David-Jones Talks Connor Hawke's Future and Crisis on Infinite Earths
The Koalition   Oct. 16, 2019

You can also listen to this interview here:
https://thekoalition.com/2019/joseph-david-jones-talks-connor-hawkes-future-and-crisis-on-infinite-earths

-- On whether there is anything he is particularly excited to have fans see this season, JDJ: "I'm crazy excited they've already announced who's going to be playing JJ, and we - me and Charlie - um, we've worked really well together, first, a lot of different things in our performances to like really make that bond a strong one... I cannot wait for this season because it dives deeper into like the Diggle family as a whole. You know, it also dives very deeply into like my history, my background and like my relationships with both John and JJ. I'm like crazy excited."

-- On the (romantic) tension between Connor and Mia, JDJ: "It's still a very complicated relationship... They're trying to figure out the best way to protect the city and be heroes like their parents were... It's us trying to figure it out. We don't really know how to do that... It's like trying to figure out who should be leading the team, who should be taking the fore part... A lot of that is reflected in their relationship. You know, it's love-hate, I guess is the best way to describe it... There's conflict there. And there's conflict when JJ comes into the mix too... There'll be some stuff coming up that the SmoakNHawke fans - I think there's a lot in there that they're going to love, uh, without giving too much away."

-- JDJ: "When I started playing Connor, I really got into fitness." He said that Connor is supposed to be this really fit, expert fighter. He also said that he tries to do as much of the stunts as they can. He noted that everyone on the show is in "such good shape" and that everyone is "working out constantly." He thinks that he'll carry this fitness regimen into other projects in the future. He mentioned that DR is "a lot bigger in person."

-- On whether the storyline for the spinoff will be entirely in the future, JDJ: "They're still piecing together what they want the spinoff to be after this, because they want to find something that makes sense and that the fans are going to love. But also like it's different but doesn't like diminish the legacy of Arrow. So it's a delicate path to walk. And I don't know, I don't know. I mean, as you saw, like, they released that Katie Cassidy's going to be in it, and then Juliana's going to be in it. And we'll see if they're - if they're older in this or, you know, if some - I don't know, something happens... ride with the Legends or something." (JDJ did not say if he was in the spinoff.)

-- On whether there's anyone in particular he would love to have a scene with in the Crisis crossover, JDJ: "Oh my God, everybody." He said that he watched Smallville every day, so it would be "crazy" to work with Tom Welling. He also said there were a couple of people that he couldn't mention that he would love to have a scene with.

-- On what kind of happy ending does he want Connor to have at the end, JDJ: "It's funny because like I want - you know, in order for the show to like keep going, it's not like it has this sort of happy walk off into the sunset moment for the rest of the crew. I want that to happen for, you know, um, Oliver and everyone in the past and everything. But I want us to sort of find who we are as people and as a team... We're not there yet... We're so bad. (Laughs) I don't want to give too much away, but we're not where we need to be, um, at the start of the season. And I'd like for us to all find where we sit in the grand scheme of things and as a team and become heroes, like legitimately. And then have that be able to be something that carries over into this spinoff."

-- JDJ: "I'm not sure how much I can give away about Crisis. Let's just say that it's going to change everything... Yeah. Everything's going to change, and it's not just for our show, but, man, the entire Arrowverse is going to change drastically... I think fans are a little scared, especially with how much change is in the comics Crisis."

-- JDJ said that he's gotten a lot of advice from DR and RG. He also said that he's learned a lot from his fellow cast members on how to navigate Hollywood.

8x04

ARROW“Present Tense” — (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

ECHO KELLUM GUEST STARS – When a mysterious new Deathstroke appears in Star City, Oliver (Stephen Amell) and Team Arrow insist on taking down this villain themselves.  Meanwhile reeling from the loss of one of their own, the future Team Arrow figures out a new way to try and stop JJ.  Kristin Windell directed the episode written by Oscar Balderrama & Jeane Wong (#804). Original airdate 11/5/2019.

'Arrow' Cast Talks 8th & Final Season
The Jam TV Show   Oct. 16, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T4EIP2WG1o

The final season of 'Arrow' premiered last night. It's the show that launched an entire universe --  The CW's Arrowverse. The series stars Stephen Amell and David Ramsey sat down with our Brandon Pope to chat about the show's legacy and the beginning - of Arrow's end.

-- SA: "When it's time to say goodbye, say goodbye. That doesn't mean what the Monitor has prophesized is gonna come true. But it's - it's important. When I'm - when I'm done with the show, I actually feel like it's in the best service of, not just the show, but the Arrowverse, so to speak, to actually really be done. Flash, it's gonna keep going, and Supergirl's gonna keep going. And I just hope they look back at what I hope is, you know, a decade or 12 years or 15 years, and - I don't know, I just hope they had a good time watching our shows."

-- On Arrow's legacy and what it's done for superheroes, DR: "First, I'm real grateful. I mean, but nobody saw this coming. Man, we were doing this in 2012, nobody could've possibly thought this could've happened."

Arrow's Stephen Amell Reacts to Tommy Merlyn's Shocking Reveal in Season 8 Premiere
By Lindsay MacDonald | Oct 15, 2019
https://www.tvguide.com/news/arrows-stephen-amell-interview-earth-2-destroyed-tommy-merlyn-dark-archer/

With Earth 2 getting destroyed, does that kind of make it clear to Oliver what the stakes are leading into Crisis?
Amell: Yeah. I just shot a scene in Crisis where I'm sitting around a big table with a lot of people in a lot of leather, and Crisis is effectively being explained to us. And I speak up, and I just go, "No, no guys, seriously. I watched an entire Earth be obliterated instantly." And coming from me, who's not - like, I don't have superpowers, I'm not a time-traveler, I'm the one that would typically be doubting something like this. So for me to go, "Guys, this is unlike anything we've ever faced before," it makes people pay attention.

Will Oliver be less reticent to let the team help him with this mission moving forward?
Amell: Yeah, I mean, Dig's (David Ramsey) involved and Laurel's involved, and by the time we get to our seventh episode, we've got a pretty big team with a lot of very familiar faces and a lot of really cool team-ups. It's good, it's exciting.
We got a short look at Oliver's relationship with the Monitor in this episode, but what can you preview about that partnership moving forward? Right now, it feels like the Monitor is jerking him around a lot.
Amell: Things aren't always what they seem. Right now the Monitor is being portrayed as evil incarnate, and we'll see. We will see.

Are there any particular episodes this season that you're looking forward to the audience reactions to?
Amell: I just watched a cut of 806 last night, which is David Ramsey's episode, and it's spectacular. It's so cool. It's so, so, so cool... He did a spectacular job, and it's a narrative technique that for obvious reasons we've never done on the show before, and I don't think that we'll ever get a chance to do again. So I thought he executed it extremely well, and it's a fun one for me. It kind of kicks off our endgame so to speak.

Edited by tv echo

Stephen Amell Shares Why the Final Season of 'Arrow' Is 'So Special'
Damian Holbrook October 15, 2019 
https://www.tvinsider.com/822630/stephen-amell-arrow-final-season-8-returning-cast-crisis-crossover/

And if the premiere is any indication, you guys aren't holding back. 
We're really going for it this year. I mean, if you're were going to limp to the finish line, then all of us should have walked away with The Monitor and that could be it. But everyone in the writers room came back, everyone on the crew came back. Everyone that has been asked to come back — to the best of my knowledge — has said yes. To the point where I have read a couple of scripts, specifically Episode 7, which has got the most major character [appearing], and I was like, "Oh, come on. No way."

Can't wait! But you've got your cast regulars and then all of these guest stars lining up. Does it ever feel kind of crowded for you guys?
No, because it's really compartmentalized.  This is going to be in some, overly simplified, but each episode is its own episode. [Episode] 4 is a little different. But then [Episodes] 5, 6, and 7 really are their own story. If you imagine the first seven episodes [are heavy action], four is like an emotional intermission. That should be the title of the episode. [Laughs]
I get the impression that Oliver's journey is almost like a Wizard of Oz situation, where you have to go to various different earths or timelines to collect something. And along the way, you'll also be gathering one other person.
Yeah, I wouldn't say that's over-simplifying it. That's not the exact way that it happens, but that's roughly right. The Monitor is setting me out on task. Sometimes that's about retrieving something. And sometimes that's about learning a lesson.

Felicity was mentioned several times in the premiere. What are you guys doing to get Emily Bett Rickards  back?
I think if Emily wants to come back, she can certainly come back. She can write her scene as far as I'm concerned. But I don't know. I think, regardless, we've put a nice cap on her story.
As you begin working on the Crisis crossover, how has it been getting everything coordinated? Because, as the Number Ones on the call sheet, you and Melissa Benoist, Grant Gustin, Ruby Rose...you all have to be the quarterbacks for your shows.
It's been great. I mean, this year more than ever. By definition, we're talking about, Melissa Grant, me, Caity Lotz and Cress Williams...did I miss anybody? [Laughs] Everybody is a quarterback and wants the best. And do you know what I mean by Day Out of Days? It's what you call the schedule for an episode. The overall Day Out of Days for our crossovers, physically, is like two pages. This year, it's like a 55-page booklet.

I'm shooting a scene tonight with Melissa from Supergirl, we're using the Legends crew and an Arrow director. It should be a lot of fun. Honestly, I hope it's the most fun. And if you're a fan of the DC Universe, I hope watching Crisis is the most fun you ever have.

I love how they're going all out with getting actors not just from the Arrowverse but from the extended DC Universe. 
Oh, you have no idea...
And I'm sure they've got people waiting in the wings we haven't heard about yet?
Yes. It's really cool.

Since this is your last month...
Yeah, we wrap on the 13th of November.

How do you feel about Oliver now? He's had such a great emotional evolution for these last eight seasons. He's really grown and changed. How would you say he changes in these last 10 episodes?
Well, I mean, we'll see. How many stages of grief are there?

There's five.
Five? Well the seven episodes prior to Crisis are like those stages for him. I mean, there's still lessons to be learned. I think that some of the scenes I get to play once we get past Episode 3 are...you know, we are in our final season and I think I'm getting more chances to break new ground with my character, which is so great and uncommon.

That is great. How much of a break are you going to take before your wrestling show, Heel?
I think we're going to start filming some time in March but that's still up in the air a little bit.

Edited by tv echo

Matt's Inside Line: Prodigal Son Scoop, Plus Riverdale, Chicago Fire, Grey's, Batwoman, New Amsterdam and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / October 18 2019, 
https://tvline.com/2019/10/18/prodigal-son-spoilers-season-1-bright-dani-jessica/

Any more scoop on the Arrowverse’s “Crisis on Infinite Earths” crossover? –Derrick
The question of exactly which Lyla Michaels (ours, or another Earth’s) will be assisting The Monitor as Harbinger will be answered “pretty fast” — specifically, in Arrow’s third episode, says showrunner Beth Schwartz.

Katherine McNamara Dives Into The Final Season Of The Hit CW Show, "Arrow"
BUILD Series   Oct. 18, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tsgVRVZtq8

-- KM: "Well, the biggest thing about this season in general of Arrow is that, for people who love the show, it's gonna be really special, because each episode kinda pays respect to a different aspect that has made Arrow Arrow. You know, we saw with the first episode, it went back to the pilot, it went through all of those moments and all of those characters that we loved so much. And that continues throughout, so it's - it's a really, really special way to pay tribute to this legacy that's been built. So with Mia in particular, we saw this kind of in the first episode, she's having to work on a team for the first time. She was raised by her mother alone in a cabin, trained by Nyssa al Ghul, who's an assassin. She's very much a lone wolf and is not used to having to consider the opinions of others or the safety of others. And that, particularly with her brother William, she promised her mom that she would look out for him, and he doesn't fight the way she does. She can't be there all the time to protect him, so - I mean, we even saw in that moment where the - the - you know, JJ gets the upper hand because she's concerned about William. That's a very real fear for her because it's the one thing she promised her mom. And that's something that's going to play into the season quite a bit."

-- On how much they have filmed, KM: "I just finished the crossover... So, yeah, that's all I can say. That's all I can say, is that I'm in the crossover, and I can say no more than that. But, um, I just finished my pieces for the crossover... We have two more episodes to shoot for Arrow. And then, that's Arrow."

-- On the backdoor pilot and the tweeted "Green Arrow and the Canaries" comics cover, KM: "All I can say is, it's exciting to see what - what is coming. Potentially. You know, there - I know in episode 9 of Arrow, it kind of goes to what happens next. That's kind of the beginning of - the beginning of the epilogue of the series. And we'll see what they - what they do. I actually, truly don't know a lot yet. (Interviewer asked if they've filmed episode 9 yet)  No... We're about to start 9, so I'm just now getting information. I really don't know much... I've been, you know, in crossover land. So I've been in pretty much every different universe you could possibly imagine at this point. Um, I actually haven't been to the Arrow set in almost three weeks. Yeah. So that's been a huge departure. But I tell you what's so fun about crossover is that you get to see the interaction between different characters you would never otherwise see. And just for Mia, as a nerdy fan, it's so fun to just be on set. Everybody's in their suits. I'm like, (smiley reaction). It's so cool." She also talked about how each set "has it's own personality."

-- On why episode 4 is her favorite this season, KM: "Episode 4 is a huge turning point. It's really the end of episode 3 into the beginning of episode 4. It's - it changes everything. It's a huge moment and a huge event that not only changes Mia forever, but also changes the course of the entire arc of the story. And, uh, that's what you have when you're building to Crisis. 'Cause all bets are off and there are no rules anymore. And literally anything can happen. And it rocks Mia's world in a way that she never thought possible. And it really is going to force her to confront everything that she's tried to push away in her life."

Edited by tv echo

'Arrow' Star Katherine McNamara on Why Her Character is a 'Punch First, Ask Questions Later Gal' [VIDEO]
October 18, 2019
https://cheddar.com/media/arrow-star-katherine-mcnamara-on-why-her-character-is-a-punch-first-ask-questions-later-gal

-- KM: "What's interesting is when we found Mia last year, she was a cage fighter, she was totally in her element, kicking ass and doing everything that she does best. But this season, she's still the same Mia, but now is working as a team. And that is, being raised by Nyssa al Ghul, who's an assassin, and by her mother kind of in isolation in the woods, she isn't used to working well with others. And, being a punch first, ask questions later kind of gal, it takes a minute of adjustment."

-- On what she is most excited for us to see Mia conquer this season, KM: "Well, this season of Arrow is really special, because the writers knew this was the final season, they were really able to craft something to honor the legacy of Arrow. So each episode goes back to an element that really made Arrow what it is. So as we saw with the first episode, we went back to the pilot and kind of teased old characters in a new way. And that kind of thing only continues as the series moves forward. And with Mia, very quickly, um, a series of events takes place that changes her forever and will completely rock her world in a way that she's really forced to confront everything that she's tried to push away. And everything that's - that's hardened her, she has to kind of bring to the forefront, which, when it comes to emotional things, that's really not her forte. Um, she doesn't quite know how to handle when things like that come up. So it'll be interesting to see what happens." On preparing to play a character that's not good at handling emotions, KM: "You know, it's kind of the most fun, because when you have these characters that are so strong and so confident in who they are, when they are taken back a step, when they are knocked down, you get to see that kind of underlayer of vulnerability, and that is kind of a fun layer of juxtaposition to play around with and see what colors come out."

-- On what she would want to see from Mia if a spinoff were to happen, KM: "Well, what's so great about this season is, you get to see what the legacy of Arrow means. And if it were to continue, I would hope that that would be Mia's path, to fit into an Arrow kind of world and to be able to protect the city that she has grown up and that she loves so much and that her parents worked so hard to create."

Edited by tv echo

How “Crisis on Infinite Earths” Changed the Trajectory of ‘Arrow’s Final Season
BY CHRISTINA RADISH      OCTOBER 15, 2019
https://collider.com/arrow-season-8-interview-marc-guggenheim-beth-schwartz-crisis-on-infinite-earths/

What do you think it’ll be like to watch the Arrow-verse continue without Arrow?
BETH SCHWARTZ:
I’m curious about whether they’ll talk about our characters, and whether we’ll see some of our characters on their shows. I don’t know. It is a little bit strange to think that the flagship show isn’t gonna be in the next fall line-up. But right now, we’re focused on this last season.
What can you say about the relationship between Oliver and Diggle, this season?
GUGGENHEIM:
By design, the season is very much centered around just the two of them. It’s funny, now that Felicity is not part of the show, we’re down to just Oliver and Diggle. It’s always been Oliver and Diggle, or Oliver and Felicity, or Oliver, Diggle and Felicity. We’ve gotten rid of two out of the three, so now the remaining dynamic, especially with Thea gone, the remaining dynamic is now Oliver and Diggle. What we’re going for is that we’re trying to infuse, in the season, a sense that the end is nigh. These characters know, not in a meta sense, that the show is ending after 10 episodes, and that imbues their relationship with higher stakes and a greater sense of emotion. To me, that’s really, really critical for Season 8.

SCHWARTZ: The Oliver and Diggle bromance is very much alive, this season. It’s really special because it’s what started the show. There are so many throwbacks for the earlier seasons that I suggest everyone binges, if they weren’t already planning on doing that, before [watching this season]. There are so many callbacks, and to have the two of them, who started it all, going through this last season there, their relationship is one of the main focuses.

How does Katie Cassidy fit into things?
GUGGENHEIM:
She’s fantastic. I can’t talk too much about Katie without spoiling things. The reason I haven’t talked about Katie is that it’s very hard to do it without spoiling 801. Katie directed 803, and it’s been such a privilege to watch her prepare to become a director. She’s just been so professional. She was acting in 802, while prepping 803, and putting in 24/7 days. She’s just tireless. She’s amazing. She actually has some great, fun things to do in Season 8, but I can’t talk about any of them because it ruins the end of 801. You asked which character turned out completely differently, and Laurel is probably the best answer. The whole idea of Black Siren was never in the game plan. It was just the idea of bringing Black Siren back for 509 was a one-off idea, and we loved having her back so much that (CW President) Mark Pedowitz called, very similar to the way he did with Emily [Bett Rickards], and said, “You’re gonna have her back again, right?” And we were like, “We’re way ahead of you.” When Katie came back as Black Siren and when Emily was introduced to the show, those were two times where Mark Pedowitz said, “You’re doing more with her, right?” And we were like, “Now we are.”
What can you say about the new generation of characters on the show, with Mia and Connor?
GUGGENHEIM:
They’re so great. The cast of the future storyline, I don’t know how we got so lucky, but we actually managed to cast actors who are great, and who are incredibly professional and nice people, and who get along really well. It was almost like casting a brand new show in many ways, and to be able to strike lightning twice is really hard. I’m shocked and amazed that we pulled it off.

How do you balance the fact that you had this satisfying ending to Felicity, knowing that Emily Bett Rickards was leaving, but still have her feel like a part of the world?
GUGGENHEIM:
That’s a great question. It’s a challenge. The way I look at it is that it was a perfect ending for Felicity. Were Emily to return to the show, it wouldn’t be to provide an ending to Felicity’s story, it would be to provide an ending to Oliver’s story. They’re two different exercises. As a viewer, I hate when an actor or actress leaves a show, and then, suddenly, it’s like they’re dead and you never talk about them. We’ve never been that way, on this show. Take Sara Lance, who died in the pilot. We had no intention of bringing that character back to life, when we first started out the show, and yet, you hear about Sara, all the time. It’s part of creating a real, lived-in universe. If someone leaves your life, you still talk about them. So, we’re still talking about Felicity. There’s a moment in Episode 801 that’s a big acknowledgement of Felicity. I hope it makes the cut because it’s really funny and fun. Emily’s not in it, but it’s a major acknowledgement of Emily and Felicity. You’ve gotta have those moments, otherwise their absence is really suspicious.

SCHWARTZ: Because we didn’t know if she was gonna come back in our final season, it was really important to me and everyone else to make sure we had a good ending for her, just to prepare ourselves. Writing that last scene, not only did I cry when I was writing, but every time I saw it in a cut, in post, and during the final mix, everyone looked at me and was like, “Oh, god, here she goes again.” I don’t normally cry because I’ve seen the episodes a million times, but that final scene, the performances from Stephen [Amell] and Emily, and just knowing that was the end of that character, was really emotional.

Is there a plan for if she does come back?
GUGGENHEIM:
Yeah. There are plans for everything, honestly. In many ways, that’s what you have to do, especially in this kind of situation.

SCHWARTZ: Obviously, we’d love to have her back for the final season, but I’m really happy with how we ended her character. I know she’s said this, too, so unless we find a creative way that’s better than that, we’re not gonna just bring her back to bring her back.
Will we also hear more announcements on people returning?
GUGGENHEIM:
Yes, there are so many more. We’ll be doling out that information, as the season goes on.

What can we expect from the characters that you have announced, that are coming back?
GUGGENHEIM:
They’ll be a little different. The way I would put it is that 801 is our re-visitation and our remix of the pilot. If this season is a re-visitation of our greatest hits, this is like going back into the recording studio and messing around with the balance and the mixing of it, and it’s a lot of fun.
Is there one particular character that’s very different from how you thought they would be? Did their journey become so the different that they couldn’t end up where you expected?
GUGGENHEIM:
That’s a good question. No. It depends upon, expected from when? For example, there was never a Felicity Smoak in the pilot, and there was no Felicity Smoak in the overall plan of the show, so that alone changed everything. The governing philosophy of Arrow is that I like to break a show the way I like to go to Europe, which is that I like to have a plan – I like to have my theater tickets and my restaurant reservations and my museum tickets – but then, I like to be able to give myself freedom to deviate from the plan. And I really think that’s exactly what we’ve done with Arrow. And by the time Arrow is finished, I think it’ll be particularly true, where we always had a plan, always had ideas, and always had certain things we felt we were moving towards, and for the most part, we’ve honored the spirit of that, but we’ve also given ourselves the freedom to react to things, like when a great actress like Emily comes along, we write towards that character. We’ve be open to new and different ideas, so that when different opportunities, like having “Crisis on Infinite Earths” as part of our universe, comes along, we can take advantage of that.
What’s exciting about also getting to build to this big crossover, with “Crisis on Infinite Earths”?
SCHWARTZ:
It’s so different for us. We’ve never done that before. The crossovers usually stand alone. We get to it, and then we barely talk about it after. It’s like a dream that happens. But this year, everything focuses on it, which actually works perfectly for our final season. We’re not just ending a season. We’re ending seven years, leading up to this eighth season. And so, it allows us to touch on all of those previous seasons because it opens up our world. It’s not just Star City. It’s all of the characters, and Arrow is the one that started all of that.       

Is it tricky to find that balance between continuing to tell new story while you’re also juggling the legacy of all of these seasons of the series?
SCHWARTZ:
It surprisingly hasn’t been. Once we knew that we were gonna tell the story leading up to “Crisis,” I especially wanted to make sure that we see all of the characters that have had a huge impact on the series, and even the places that did, it all seemed to fit together.

Is it fun, before you say goodbye, to get to bring in the cast of Black Lightning, as well?
GUGGENHEIM:
We obviously didn’t know that we could plan to end Arrow at the same time that we’re doing “Crisis on Infinite Earths,” but it’s turned out to be a really wonderful synergy. We’ve been able to think of the finale with an eye towards “Crisis,” and think of “Crisis” with an eye towards the finale. And now, the ability to bring in Black Lightning, who was one of the characters on the top of our list, in terms of characters that we wanted to have be a part of the crossover, it’s just great. We’re very, very fortunate. Black Lightning was the last piece of the puzzle.

When you’re building to a story as big as “Crisis on Infinite Earths,” people have been speculating since you teased it with the last crossover. What would you say to the people who are speculating, who are sure that they know how things are going to end? Would you say that they just have no idea how things are all going to play out?
GUGGENHEIM:
It’s funny, the thing I’ve learned is that Twitter is basically crowd-sourced story breaking, in the sense that it’s impossible to come up with something that no one could have foreseen ‘cause you’re dealing with tens of thousands of people, who are all coming up with different ideas. Some of those ideas are gonna be things that we’re doing, and some of those ideas are gonna be things that we’re not doing. That being said, I would say that some people have accurately predicted certain things, and then, with respect to some of the characters in “Crisis,” their guesses are way off the mark, and I like that. Also, one thing that we’re trying to do in the crossover is that, even the things that you are expecting, we’ve challenged ourselves and said, how do we do it in ways that you’re not expecting? There are different kinds of spoilers, in my opinion. There’s what you do, which is the spoiler everyone thinks about, but then there is the how and when you do it, and you have those clubs in your bag.
Which is fun because, with anything adapted from source material, you want to have that joy of the source material, but not have it feel like an exact replica of that.
GUGGENHEIM:
Yes. That’s the thing. Obviously, it’s a different animal, from the source material. That said, when we pitched the crossover story to the network and the studio, we basically pitched with several covers from the comic book series. We had one cover for each hour, so we had five covers. It’s a 12-part series, but we said, “This is gonna happen in this episode, this is gonna happen in this episode, and this is gonna happen in this episode.” We’re being faithful enough to the source material that you can point to these seminal moments that ended up on the covers. The only surprise is the way we do it. Obviously, these are completely different characters and different circumstances, but we are acknowledging enough of the source material to be able to point to different moments in the crossover and go, “That came from the comic, and that came from the comic, and that came from the comic,” and that’s fun.

When it comes to the endpoint of what Arrow will end up being and how it eventually says goodbye, is it anything like what you thought it might be, or is it very different from how you imagined it?
GUGGENHEIM:
That’s a great question. I would say, for the most part, it’s very similar to what I always had in mind. There have been some new ideas and some tweaks, and the crossover changed certain elements, but I would say that Stephen and I, for years, have talked about how things should end, and I would say that we’re definitely true to the spirit of that plan.

SCHWARTZ: I don’t know what people are thinking this series is gonna end up like. The hope is to end it very true to our show and have a satisfying ending for those fans who’ve been following, from the very beginning. That’s our hope, and we’ll see how it goes. I’m such a fan of television, and I have been, my whole life. I’ve watched so much television, so if I feel like this is hitting all of the points and I feel satisfied, that’s usually how a fan will react. Hopefully, we’ll be on the same page.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow’s Connor Hawke actor hints he’ll appear in planned Canaries spin-off
Morgan Jeffery   October 18, 2019
https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-10-18/arrow-spin-off-connor-hawke/

Arrow might be ending after its eighth season, but a female-led spin-off is already in the works, with Katherine McNamara (Mia Smoak), Katie Cassidy (Laurel Lance) and Juliana Harkavy (Dinah Drake) all set to reprise their roles.

The new series will be set in the future timeline established in Arrow’s flash-forwards… and another character who’s prominent in these scenes is Connor Hawke (Joseph David-Jones). Though yet to be confirmed for the spin-off, could David-Jones also appear?

“Mmm-hmm, there is a chance!” the actor told RadioTimes.com. “We’ll see. I can’t give away anything!”
He added: “I think they wanna find a story that makes sense to tell after Arrow, because it’s something that was so near and dear to all of the fans and it was something that was sort of unprecedented at the time it came out, so]they don’t wanna just make something that is gonna not do justice to the Arrow legacy…

“They’re keeping everything close to the chest like they always do. but I think it’s gonna be a fun show show. I’m interested to see where things go with the spin-off.”

David-Jones also told us that Arrow’s final episodes will feature “a lot of callbacks” to previous seasons. “They’re trying to bring about a cathartic end to this entire series and this man’s journey, so you’re going to see a lot of people from his past we’ve brought back in, you’re going to see a lot of moments revisited from earlier seasons and I think fans are gonna love it,” he said.

The star also revealed that his character was originally supposed to become a series regular on fellow Arrowverse series Legends of Tomorrow, before plans changed and he joined the Arrow cast instead.

-- KM: "Good morning. So today's pretty special. Uh, it is the first day of shooting on the backdoor pilot, as it were, of Green Arrow and the Canaries. And it's really exciting. I really don't know what's in store, but whatever it is, it's going to be pretty badass. So I cannot wait to share it with all of you. And... there we go."

The Sit-Down: Katherine McNamara
CBS Local News   Oct. 21, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe4GgiKF1jc

-- KM mentioned that she's just coming out of "crossover season in the Arrowverse," adding that it's "fun" but "mental" (alluding to the crossover shooting schedule)

-- KM: "[Y]ou saw Original Team Arrow, but they all kind of fit together and they started off and were so heroic from the get-go. You really didn't get to see their growing pains. And that's what we get to see this season with, uh, with Future Team Arrow, as it all fits together with, you know, the story as it comes to a close."

-- KM: "I think Arrow this season is so special. The writers knew this was the final season, so they were really able to think about how they wanted to end this story that they've all given so much to. And - and every episode is kind of a love letter and a respect to an aspect of Arrow that's made it so - such a legacy. Um, so it's exciting for people who've watched the show from the beginning."

Edited by tv echo