Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
configdotsys

Kids Behind Bars: Life or Parole

DVR'd a new show on A&E called Kids Behind Bars: Life or Parole. The first episode we meet Aaron, a very disturbed looking kid who shot his 14 year old female friend in the back of the head in her house, dragged her out the door and into the woods behind the house. First he said a "black dude that turned out to be white" did it, but the house had a no shoes policy so when the cops told him to take off his shoes, he had blood on his socks. He eventually claimed that she was "goofing" around pointing the gun at him, he took it away from her and went to put it away and it went off. It just happened to hit her in the back of the head. Then he dragged her out.

The premise of the show is that "children" should not receive life without parole for crimes they committed as kids. I did not fully catch it but his lawyer had six months to appeal for a re-sentencing of this obviously psychotic person and pointed out how much Aaron had matured since then. Right. He matured into a full fledged psycho. Aaron was raised by his sister who looks to be about about 60 years old. He's 22 now and we see him via a camera talking on the phone to his lawyer and then his sister. The police who arrested him said he will kill again if released and I believe them. Something is not right in the head with this kid. Next week we have Curtis, who took park in a carjacking with three other teens, 23 years ago.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2019 at 3:12 PM, configdotsys said:

He matured into a full fledged psycho. Aaron was raised by his sister who looks to be about about 60 years old. He's 22 now and we see him via a camera talking on the phone to his lawyer and then his sister. The police who arrested him said he will kill again if released and I believe them. Something is not right in the head with this kid. 

I totally agree with you on this one. So much more in the show pointed to him being very damaged and disturbed. Not something time and “maturity” will ever fix.

• Like 2

I watched the next two episodes. One was about Curtis, who took part in a carjacking as a teen with a few other teens and the victim was killed. Wherever they live, I believe the law says that even if you are not a shooter, if you are there, you're just as responsible as the killer. Curtis has been in for 23 years and has educated himself, learned several languages and wants to get out. He gets his wish.

Then we had Preston, who seemed to me to be cut from the same cloth as Aaron from episode 1. A very angry tough guy who was a cold wise ass with the police when being questioned. He and his buddies robbed a kid and to this day the victim's father is completely devastated and suffers PTSD and other health issues as a result of losing his son. But Preston has found Islam and has decided that he shouldn't be in prison anymore. He expressed no remorse for the crime, and his sister or half sister or something thinks what he did wasn't so bad. No, he just shot a guy. One of his accomplices did not want anyone to get shot so they removed a couple of the bullets from the gun but Preston kept firing until he killed the guy. We got to hear how Preston's mom was on drugs and he was an abused kid and all that stuff. I feel for anyone who is dealt such a hand but this dude was a thug that I could easily see killing someone else if released. He did not get his wish and will remain in jail probably for life. Poor Preston was surprised at that. He never thought he'd get the book thrown at him.

My own view on these killers who ask to be released from prison early is that will happen as soon as the person they murdered is able to crawl out of the ground and get their life back.

I was concerned that this show was going to be only about "kids" who are released. Glad to see that's not the case. 

Edited by configdotsys
  • Like 2

I did feel Curtis had done his time and had really worked on himself. Preston on the other hand, no way. I had to shake my head when he was so sure he would soon be released and was “shocked” when he didn’t. Loved your post configdotsys.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hoosiermom said:

I did feel Curtis had done his time and had really worked on himself. Preston on the other hand, no way. I had to shake my head when he was so sure he would soon be released and was “shocked” when he didn’t. Loved your post configdotsys.

I had such mixed emotions about Curtis because he most definitely was a completely changed person and did serve 23 years. It's not like he did a few years and they let him go. I did feel horrible for the victim's parents because their son wasn't able to marry and grow and enjoy life so it's hard to think that his killer will be able to do all those things that he robbed from the victim. While he did work on himself, was very well spoken and impressed me with his learning of multiple languages, he was locked inside so he had no other real options but to either get into the prison life gang thing or read and learn. We'll see once he is out and struggles to find work as a convicted felon if he reverts back to criminal ways. His episode was one of those that can generate such good discussion on both sides if only people were civilized enough to engage in constructive conversation. That's what I so love about this place.

• Like 1

This week we have 15 year old Bobby, a high schooler with good grades and a player on the football team, who shot and killed his girlfriend’s bigoted parents in their bed. The mother died, the father survived.  Bobby is Mexican and his gf’s parents did not believe in interracial relationships so they had to sneak around. 

This case was somewhat reminiscent of the Pamela Smart case from 1990ish. Smart was the 22 year old Media Director of a public school district in New Hampshire and got her 15 year old lover to kill her husband by telling him that the husband was abusive. The reality was that Smart feared losing everything (including face for being with a 15 year old) in a divorce. The lovestruck teen shot her husband in the head and spent nearly 30 years in prison as did his buddies/accomplices.

In this case, the daughter took her parents’ gun and gave it to Bobby and was cursing him out for not killing her parents for her. She told Bobby that her father sexually abused her so Bobby thought he had to do it in order to save her. This was a premeditated, planned killing and it seemed that Bobby was hounded by the gf to do it until it got the point that he thought he had no choice but to save her because no one else would. 

The father refused to be interviewed for the show but testified against his daughter at her solicitation of capital murder trial denying that he was ever abusive to any of his children and calling his daughter a master manipulator. Dad wanted both “kids” tried as adults. The daughter got life and has refused all requests for interviews or comment. Bobby got 75 years.

Bobby is now 41. He’s done 26 years and points out “I was a kid and this is not who I am.” He insisted that he had to save her from her father. His two brothers don’t think that a 15 year old should get life. He calls his girlfriend at the time— the daughter of the victim— “a good chick.” 

The attorney organization that takes on these cases met with Bobby’s mother and brother and told them that they would review his case— they receive tons of them— and decide if they will pursue Bobby’s.  In the meantime, we are told that the father has forgiven his daughter and Bobby for what they have done. 

The lawyer is then shown telling us that in Texas, a Supreme Court ruling came down in 2018 that said if juveniles wanted to appeal under the “kids shouldn’t spend life in jail for stuff they did as kids” ruling, it had to be filed within one year and because of that, Bobby ran out of time and can not appeal his sentence. She speaks to him on the phone to let him know that they cannot take his case due to that but will revisit at some point if that law is challenged or changed.

During Bobby’s last interviews on the show he asks what having him sit in jail all these years accomplishes. How about punishment for murdering someone and trying to kill another?

• Like 1

Another very sad case with the young man having no criminal history and if not for the girlfriend, would not have committed this crime. Those horrible accusations she made against her father would have of course horrified the boy but still, he went from a seemingly good kid to a murderer. I almost feel there has to be a screw loose somewhere to make that leap. 

13 hours ago, hoosiermom said:

Another very sad case with the young man having no criminal history and if not for the girlfriend, would not have committed this crime. Those horrible accusations she made against her father would have of course horrified the boy but still, he went from a seemingly good kid to a murderer. I almost feel there has to be a screw loose somewhere to make that leap. 

It was such a strange episode. I wondered what was going on there when it was nearly 45 minutes into the episode and there had been no discussion yet about a resentencing hearing. And then we find out that it is not because a judge decided that he needs to stay in jail or get out per this new law, but simply that time expired and there's nothing that can be done. 

I could totally see this girl riling him up and crying to him about abuse and threatening to leave him if he did not help her. I hope she rots because if not for her, he would never have gotten into this predicament. I read every news article at the time about Pamela Smart and that kid was totally manipulated into killer her husband. That is probably what happened here too. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, configdotsys said:

in Texas, a Supreme Court ruling came down in 2018 that said if juveniles wanted to appeal under the “kids shouldn’t spend life in jail for stuff they did as kids” ruling, it had to be filed within one year and because of that, Bobby ran out of time and can not appeal his sentence.

I'm not exactly crying over Bobby remaining in prison but that seems pretty restrictive. It's not like these lifers have a good attorney on speed dial.

23 hours ago, configdotsys said:

He [Bobby] calls his girlfriend at the time— the daughter of the victim— “a good chick.” 

That right there makes me think he shouldn't be out on the street if he can't figure out his former girlfriend was not a "good chick." Man am I glad she got life. Bobby at least had the excuse of thinking she was in some kind of danger, though that doesn't mean he's not responsible. She, on the other hand, seemingly just wanted her parents dead for whatever reason and kept at him until he killed them. That is stone cold.