Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E17: My Fate Cries Out

Dee
  • Start Topic

Cookie gets picked up by AUSA Conway, while Lucious is visited by his past. Becky, Hakeem and Andre devise a plan to save Empire by putting on a show with special guests Sevyn Streeter and Ty Dolla $ign. Meanwhile, Andre helps Empire by getting help from the last person the Lyons expect and Cookie may never forgive Lucious for what he's done.

Shine!

Meanwhile-- Maya continues to bug, TH has some moves!, loved Giselle's response to Kelly Patel (I really like it whenever she's on screen!) especially since that came as a surprise.  I loved Andre's separate scenes with Cookie and Lucius. And that was really sweet with Tiana and Devon, even if Hakeem now wants her again because she's moved on. 

Really hoping for some happiness for Andre and Teri.

• Love 1

Just for this being a Jamal free episode I will give this episode a big thumbsup. 

I liked the heavy focus on Andre, and his scenes with his Mama and Daddy were beautiful. The ending got me in the feels, it reminded me of the scene where Andre suffered his mental breakdown. Great work from all three actors. 

I have always felt that they have criminally underused Andre/Trai this whole time to focus on the other two brothers/ actors, who I feel are weaker actors. 

I hope Kingsley can somehow stick around, I actually would like to see Andre and Kingsley come to the forefront with Jamal being off screen and Hakeem just...I think Lee has lost the plot when it comes to that one. He just doesn't seem to show any growth or purpose. 

Heck, if it's Hakeem who somehow ends up in the casket I would not mind personally. 

• Love 1

Someone tell me if I am remembering this wrong, but weren't we told earlier in the season that the funeral takes place 6 months after the current events they're showing us right now?

I think I remember the funeral being detailed as a flashforward, so if that's the case then it doesn't make sense that whoever ends up as Dre's donor is in the casket. It's 6 months later, why wait so long to bury them?

Andre is going to need his heart, presumably, in hours or days, maybe weeks  but certainly not months later. 

Hmm, now I am more curious how they're going to handle this. 

49 minutes ago, AnswersWanted said:

I liked the heavy focus on Andre, and his scenes with his Mama and Daddy were beautiful. The ending got me in the feels, it reminded me of the scene where Andre suffered his mental breakdown. Great work from all three actors. 

They were phenomenal. Taraji just blew me away as a fierce lioness protecting her cub.. 

• Love 1

I do not need Maya on my screen ever again. She's always been annoying, but when did she become such an entitled diva? Who do you think you are, girl? Dang.

• Love 1
(edited)

Paul McCrane is a fantastic director.

The music choices, the camera angles, the performances from the actors, the use of space and silence to enhance the emotional tone of the episode.

Just lovingly crafted work from everyone involved.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 3

Thank God Cookie got there, I knew she would never let Andre do any of this! Taraji was amazing in that whole sequence, of course so was everyone, all of the actors were at the top of their game. The roller rink scene was so adorable, it was nice to see Andre have some nice moments with his parents, even knowing where it was leading. 

Loved the literal ghosts of Luciouses past, and seeing some characters from seasons past, and the countless people that Lucious has killed, who whos deaths have affected him. It was kind of funny how they pointed out how many times Andre has tried to kill or screw over Lucious over the years. 

I hope that Andre and Terry can get their happy ending, they've just been through so much. 

• Love 6

Maya's starting to really piss me off with her bitchiness. Her character brings nothing to the show besides petty drama which would be unrealistic in the real world. What breed of moron tries to act like a diva to the mother of her boss' grandchild? Especially when her fling with Hakeem is temporary. I just can't wait for her to disappear into irrelevancy like countless other characters.

Out of all of the brothers, Andre's character feels the most fleshed out. It's kinda sad that his storylines are always handled horribly. I just want him to be happy, dammit! Hakeem has become somewhat more responsible and calmed down since the first season and Jamal's well...