Type keyword(s) to search

Burden of Truth - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Burden of Truth

https://www.cbc.ca/burdenoftruth/

In Season 1, corporate attorney Joanna Chang (Kristin Kreuk; Smallville, Beauty and the Beast) made headlines fighting for the justice of five sick girls in her hometown of Millwood. This season she finds herself at a top law firm in Winnipeg ready to make a fresh start away from her previous firm. There, a new client draws her into the shadowy world of hackers, activists, and a political movement that won’t take any prisoners. The case leads Joanna through many twists and turns, until she eventually becomes a killer’s target. Her estranged father tries to assist her, which leads to an event that will change both their lives forever.

Meanwhile, Millwood’s lifeblood has been left depleted following the bankruptcy of the mill. With rising unemployment rates, tensions in town are running high, leaving Billy (Peter Mooney; Rookie Blue, Saving Hope) to retreat further away from town, but when his reckless brother Shane (Andrew Chown; Beauty & the Beast, Reign) shows up, Billy is forced to confront childhood memories.

Season 2 returns to The CW on June 2 at 8:00pm

I can't believe they managed to sneak in most of the cast from Season 1 even though many left town and appear to be scattered across Canada. The only person that didn't seem to make an appearance is Joanna's ex-boyfriend Alan Christie, played by Benjamin Ayres.

I find it hard to believe that someone claiming to be a gamer and who is an only child, would not be able to hook up their own gaming system. How long was she in that apartment without connecting the gaming system, did they not connect up the TV as well, typically you only need to connect a single cord (HDMI). They could have found a better reason for the girls to get together, like to talk about their "daddy issues" with the trigger being the letter.

1 hour ago, cinsays said:

Found this and watched it last night.  Is Joanna supposed to be a likeable character because I found her unappealing.

I don't know if you watched the prior two seasons of the show that establish her character and motivations, but she is sort of a type A person who is trying to become more laid back and caring for her friends. The show isn't that great or exciting, very little action, and set in a small town. I am surprised that it is still on the air and that it keeps getting new seasons. I am sure it is very cheap to make which helps to get it renewed. I am watching for Kristin Kreuk (hoping she would do something sexy) and there is never anything else new on when the show airs. It is probably better liked in Canada than in the U.S.

• Useful 1
On 5/23/2020 at 3:07 PM, AnimeMania said:

I don't know if you watched the prior two seasons of the show that establish her character and motivations, but she is sort of a type A person who is trying to become more laid back and caring for her friends. The show isn't that great or exciting, very little action, and set in a small town. I am surprised that it is still on the air and that it keeps getting new seasons. I am sure it is very cheap to make which helps to get it renewed. I am watching for Kristin Kreuk (hoping she would do something sexy) and there is never anything else new on when the show airs. It is probably better liked in Canada than in the U.S.

Same here. I watched all episodes of this show for lack of anything else to do/watch. I think KK is just an OK actress, but I'm mostly curious to see what the main storyline is for each season and how it gets resolved.

I'm surprised some of the secondary characters are still there, like Diane and Taylor. In fact, I wish the show would get rid of Taylor and Joanna's little sister because I don't think they add anything to the series. [OK yes, when the plot revolved around Matheson Mill, they were central, but they're no longer needed, IMHO].

Joanna and Billy have OK chemistry, but I don't think any character has GREAT chemistry with any other character (friendship, romantic, familial). Maybe that's because none of the actors are really all that fantastic. Perhaps the best actor on the show is the person who portrays Diane - now promoted to school principal.

When Joanna's Asian heritage was brought up in the past, I wonder if that was the actress herself who inserted that into the plot, or if the writers/producers insisted on that. Anyway, if the Asian angle is all due to KK, good on her! I'm glad she's not ignoring or hiding the Asian part of her ethnicity.

• Useful 1

I like this show. Its rural town setting feels like a gritty rural town. The diversity and strong Aboriginal presence is so welcome. The fourth season premier was really strong and the overarching storyline has the potential to be its best. I also like how not glamorous the lawyers are. Mundane. 

34 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

I like this show. Its rural town setting feels like a gritty rural town. The diversity and strong Aboriginal presence is so welcome. The fourth season premier was really strong and the overarching storyline has the potential to be its best. I also like how not glamorous the lawyers are. Mundane. 

Because I have NHL  CenterIce so I can watch hockey, I saw a recent ad for the show on TSN.  It looks like Taylor is now a police officer...?  I wonder if US tv (CW???) will pick up the latest season. 

It appears that at least 1-2 years have passed since the third season finale. Joanne already gave birth (I missed how old the baby is and I'm a single dude, so I have no idea how old the actual baby appears to be). Luna just graduated from law school, whereas she was just starting out in the third seasons.

Just started watching the second season on Hulu. I thought I had watched the first one on tv some years ago, but no. I really like how the have a lot of the story with the First Nationers. This, Coroner and the beloved Stumptown ( hate that it has been cancelled) has them as real people and not plot devices. I love that. I like foreign mysteries that are usually darker in themes so this is just the right amount of lightness. 

19 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Burden of Truth 4th and Final Season starts Thursday, August 19 on The CW.

Yay - I'm glad we in the US will be able to see how the series ends.

I've just finished watching this and thought it was good. I've loved Kristin Kreuk for years and thought she was great in this.

So interesting finding out about the indigenous communities in Canada.