Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E19: P-R-O-M-P-- PROMPOSAL

Outraged that JJ's girlfriend, Izzy, declines his invitation to prom, Dylan and Ray swing for the fences with a bold plan to make her jealous. Jimmy, Kenneth and Melanie coach Maya through accepting criticism for the good of her company, and one of the DiMeos takes a big step into a new life.

(edited)

Aww, Jimmy! :D

I knew it was getting to be about that time in the season when the show brings up his architecture background (1x19 "C-H-- Cheater" in s.1, 2x17 "A-C-- Action" in s.2); but now that Maya has her own business and JJ may be leaving home soon, it looks like he might finally get back into it for real this time.

I'm glad Izzy's reason for wanting to go to the prom turned out to be relatively minor -- she'd been on the prom committee and had her Grease theme rejected for a "heaven" motif, so she was bitter about that and wanted to watch the movie with some friends instead -- but still, I'm also glad JJ eventually realized how much it meant to her. 

I don't recall seeing Bella Thorne in anything before, but I thought she was a hoot here as the ditzy but well-meaning Cassidy ("I love being woke"; "I'm learning!"). The movie she was preparing for sounded hilariously awful in every conceivable way (would-be dancer seriously considers suicide after ending up in a wheelchair, only to get miraculously healed, etc.). 

Edited by GRChereck
correction
  • Love 4

I love when Jimmy gets to make a speech. It happens so rarely in the series but it is always one of my favorite moments: Jimmy takes a stand or makes a point with a fierceness that surprises everyone because he's usually so easygoing. 

• Love 7

That was a good episode - I liked how the writer's took pretty much every bad thing you can imagine a movie that has a person with a disability anywhere near the foreground in it and put all of those tropes in the fictional film. I'm surprised she didn't try to hire JJ as a consultant to the film.

I liked Jimmy taking the stand - though I am confused again as to why Kenneth wasn't with JJ - maybe JJ wanted Dylan to be his voice and Ray to help him with the physical stuff, so it'd be less obtrusive.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, bros402 said:

I liked Jimmy taking the stand - though I am confused again as to why Kenneth wasn't with JJ - maybe JJ wanted Dylan to be his voice and Ray to help him with the physical stuff, so it'd be less obtrusive.

That's the impression I got -- plus, in the previous Prom episode (1x21), it was pretty much the same arrangement, with the kids doing their thing and Kenneth doing something with the parents. (Though in both, as I recall, he hadn't planned to do so -- in 1x21, he'd forgotten his phone at the DiMeos' house and got caught up in Jimya's argument, and here he was going to leave but decided to stay when the investor Melanie had invited over turned out to be an old friend / ex-boyfriend.)

Also, nice callback to JJ and Ray's shared crush on Emma Watson. xD I'd just been wondering whether there would be one sometime this season...

• Love 2

Its taken awhile, but I love that they're going back to Jimmy architecture dreams. It was something he really seemed to love and be good at, and with JJ going to college, Maya starting her job, and Ray and Dylan are both older now, this is a good time to try it again. 

Good episode, I liked the way the prom plot with JJ and Izzie went, and the actress that JJ took to prom was so hilarious ill informed on everything. That movie sounds so awful, a combination of every stupid disability movie ever, that I kind of want them to show some parts of it, if they dont do TONS of rewrites! 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

I really liked the episode. I guess the reference to committing suicide because wheelchair movie idea, plus all the other ableist Hollywood stuff was at least partially based on the movie "Me Without You" - which I didn't watch but know of all the bullshit in the story. Brilliant way of introducing possible oblivious people to the concept of representation. And the ableist/woke/diva part was also done well, by being comedic about the whole thing but still showing the seriousness of getting rid of ableism.

Nice touch with the protesters posters and the community's motto.

"Hot Mc-Ableist" - perfect!

I also liked that Jimmy stepped out of his role of appeaser and enabler to cll out Maya's sabotage of her own business.

• Love 4

I loved this episode. JJ video for Izzy was awesome. I thought it was so sweet that Ray and Dylan teamed up to find a date for JJ. The protesters could also be a nod to the Upside where disabled people objected to Bryan Cranston being cast as quadriplegic. I don't think JJ needed to Izzy he didn't know she was going be there. It's not a good idea to give someone mixed messages.

• Love 2