Type keyword(s) to search

Eurovision Song Contest - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Semi-Final 2 was vastly different to Semi-Final 1. I've seen people say the songs were weaker but I'm not sure that was the case. Not as memorable probably but not weaker, if that makes sense.

I was really disappointed in the live translation of Who The Hell Is Edgar? It just lacked some oomph but...here in Australia we get a replay of the live shows during Primetime. And they had Semi Final 1 last night and Queen of Kings sounded better than I remembered. So maybe, I'm not getting the best experience at 5am in the morning with the TV not as loud. Will have to check out the Semi Final 2 replay tonight to see if Edgar has more oomph to it that what I remember.

My favourite was Cyprus. And since he is actually an Aussie, I'm pretending he is our entry this year. Loved the vocals, loved the presentation and loved the lack of sleeves. And considering he is a full blown Aussie, born and raised in Sydney, I feel disappointed for him that he isn't getting more coverage for making the final. He is basically a footnote to the Aussie entry - 'Oh by the way Cyprus made the final and he is an Aussie, anyway back to the breaking news of what socks out footy players wear'. I honestly hope he places higher than Australia in the Grand Fina

In regard to our entry, our commentators were frothing at the mouth with how amazing the staging was and how they rocked the crowd blah blah blah. But truthfully the song jsut isn't my cup of tea. Is it the worst we've sent. Definitely not, but it's not the greatest thing we have sent either like the media here is trying to portray. They are probably just happy we didn't send a reality tv contestant again.

And after two semis I have come to 3 conclusions about the show this year

1. Hot Pink is the new White

2. People are trying way way too hard to replicate the SloMo dance break from last year. 

3. I want pre-recorded vocals banned again. Even if it means the loss of dance routines.

• Like 1

I too was kind of bummed at the lack of oomph from Who the Hell is Edgar. Still love it though!

A lot of my faves from night 2 made it through, so I was excited about that. I really liked the Australian entry. I’m baffled about Blanka from Poland….I’ll just leave it there. Here in the US we’re going to watch live on Peacock and hopefully vote for the first time!

• Like 1

Kinda loving the country intros this year -- it's, like, "This Is What Putin Is Trying To Destroy In Ukraine," "Here's What Putin Would Try To Destroy In The United Kingdom If He Got A Chance," and "Here's What Putin Would Demolish In Every Single Other Country In Europe If We Didn't Oppose His Stupid Fascist Ass At Every Single Goddamned Turn."

• Love 1
On 5/13/2023 at 9:02 AM, Bill1978 said:

3. I want pre-recorded vocals banned again. Even if it means the loss of dance routines.

Good news! They've banned pre-recorded vocals in Junior Eurovision this year, presumably partly because of all the dance breaks ruining the "song" part of "song contest", so they'll probably wind up being banned in Eurovision mothership again next year.

• Like 1