Type keyword(s) to search

New Game Announcements and Trailers

xaxat
  • Start Topic

A whole lot of stuff was announced at the Game Awards last night. Here are the ones I'm most interested in.

The next Far Cry, New Dawn. I've never played a Far Cry, but this might be the first.

Hades. It's from Supergiant and I have loved every game they have made so far. (Pyre, Transmission and Bastion)

The Outer Worlds. From Obsidain, makers of Fallout: New Vegas. Trailer looks fun as hell.

(edited)

Apparently it's now a thing (Elder Scrolls 6) to make teaser trailers for games that won't happen for years. I'm a huge fan of DA and will definitely be playing it when it releases some time in 2022.

And this trailer for Anthem seems to be screaming "Yes, it's multiplayer, but we have a real story and NPCs! Unlike Fallout 76!"

Edited by xaxat

The newest trailer for Anthem is a combination cut scene/live action short direct by Neil Blomkamp (District Nine)

I really like the look of Anthem and The Division 2, but I am too old to be shooting it out with 14 year olds. Single player for me.

Edited by xaxat

That's pretty cool. He did the Halo shorts too. Maybe that's where his strengths lie? In live action game trailers?

Also, is there a cast list anywhere? I'm looking for one, but not finding it.

Fuck! Fucking fuck! The Outer Worlds won't be on a platform I will play on. See, I'm fine with it being on every platform under the sun, as long as Steam and/or GOG are included. But no. Frankly, I feel betrayed and disappointed. Judging by the responses, I'm not the only one.

Since I was so pissed off before, here's some good news! Bethesda are putting all their current and upcoming games on Steam. They've realised that they can have both a larger piece of a smaller pie, and a smaller piece of a larger pie. This is the way to do it, IMO.

And here's the crazy thing. The cost of Rage 2 has suddenly dropped by $30 Australian. When I first saw this game, I thought it looked like a perfectly decent $60 title. When the price was announced at $100, I had a good laugh. At $70, I might be able to accept that. If I was a preorder person, I'd be tempted by this. But Rage 2 is very much a wait for the reviews kind of game. Still, I live in hope.

Yes! I'm a big Borderlands fan, have 2.5 thousand hours between the three games. Shit that's a lot. Anyway, I hope this is good. I hope this is on Steam. I hope that if the new Siren is melee focused, they'll finally make some better melee.

35 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I don't find it to be an especially compelling trailer.

If I wanted to see a boring white guy with light brown hair, I'd look in the mirror. I'm a xenophile in fiction. Give me something different, not just boring old humdrum. At least it looks like he'll have some better companions. A black woman, an alien, and a droid.

(edited)

I'm not sure which I'm looking forward to more. The game, or the almost assuredly batshit crazy behind the scenes stories about its production.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

April! The one game I'm looking forward to most of all. It's going to be a long wait. OTOH, I keep meaning to replay the Shadowrun games, and I haven't even started Deux Ex yet. I'm not exactly hurting for cyberpunk content.

So. The award for the most offensive game trailer at E3 goes to Crossfire X. Why? Trigger warning, seriously. September 11 imagery. Yes, it's been close to 20 years. But it still strikes me as incredibly bad taste. Even worse, it looks like the protagonists actually survive not just the missile, but the fall into the water! All this as background for a modern military shooter game.

I didn't know anyone who died in the attacks, or the wars afterwards, at least that I know of. But it still strikes me as ridiculously bad taste.

Square announced a remaster of FFVIII. I am insanely excited about that, far more than VII. 

I’ve also been surprised by the number of games that have been announced that are going to be released on Stadia in addition to consoles. It eases my worry about the level of commitment that Google has in the service. 

Although they probably said that about Google Wave. 

Too many trailers released to post them all, but here is a good windup of the upcoming PC games announced at E3.

Next Spring is going to be insane for RPG fans. All of these titles release between February and May of 2020. Depending on how deep the gameplay is, I can see myself spending a hundred hours plus on each of them.

Cyberpunk 2077

FF VII

Gods and Monsters

Watch Dogs: Legion

6 minutes ago, Captain Carrot said:

I just hope that it's an actual sequel, with something other than the setting connecting it to BG1 and BG2.

Kotaku just posted an interview with Sven Vincke. He says it's a sequel. It's set about a century after the other games, and that Minsc and Boo are still around, among other things.

• Love 1

Gameplay footage from the upcoming Avengers game. It doesn't move me. Can they give the art, the dialogue, and the combat another pass? Everything just feels off. I don't expect a perfect recreation of the movies, but even with what I feel are reasonable game expectations, it just doesn't work.

Except for the Hulk bit. Hitting people with other people never gets old. And a small appearance by Kamala Khan!

Kojima showed off more footage of Death Stranding at a Playstation event. (Edited version.)

When the trailers first started to drop, I was thinking the game would either be brilliant or a self indulgent mess. 

I'm leaning toward the latter now. It looks like a big fetch quest with occasional fights. 

So. Diablo 4. I can't see myself buying it. Quite apart from certain other Blizzard behaviour, I was reading through the feature overview when they lost me with this.

While most of the world is socially open, certain, smaller parts of each region are campaign specific. Once the campaign objectives have been completed, those areas will also dynamically open to other players. This means you might see another party of adventurers pass you by or you could organically stumble into an event or World Boss other players are already battling. You won’t need to party up to enjoy these activities; whether you decide to join the fray or continue your own journey, that decision remains yours.

No. When I play solo, I mean solo. I don't want to see other players running around. I played about twenty minutes of Path of Exile, and quit at the first town because of that shit. It breaks immersion. I don't stream, I don't have a chat window open. Leave me to play my game in peace.

Valve announce a VR game. Yeah, they're calling it Half-Life: Alyx. But it's still going to be VR only. When I read the headline, I think my heart skipped a beat. Then the bad news. FFS. I suppose if they've put all that time and money into their VR system, they want people to play it. But I have no interest.

I think that Jason Schreier put it best.

"I wish Valve would make a new Half-Life" *the monkey's paw curls a finger*

• Love 1
On 11/18/2019 at 8:21 PM, Anduin said:

Yeah, they're calling it Half-Life: Alyx. But it's still going to be VR only.

I just looked at the recommended specs. Technically I could run it on my current setup, but it would probably be pretty janky. So I would need to pay for the game, a VR headset and a new graphics card.

Pass.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Cranberry said:

I've been following this game's development for almost five years and I'm excited that soon I'll be able to play it! It'll be on Steam, too.

It's an interesting teaser and all, but what do you actually do in the game? Is there any info on the actual gameplay?

7 hours ago, Anduin said:

It's an interesting teaser and all, but what do you actually do in the game? Is there any info on the actual gameplay?

There's not a ton of info yet, but you control the cat and you befriend (and likely sometimes control) the little droid floating above you in the video. Official description from Steam: 

Stray is a third-person cat adventure game set amidst the detailed neon-lit alleys of a decaying cybercity and the murky environments of its seedy underbelly. Roam surroundings high and low, defend against unforeseen threats and solve the mysteries of this unwelcoming place inhabited by nothing but unassuming droids and dangerous creatures.

See the world through the eyes of a stray and interact with the environment in playful ways. Be stealthy, nimble, silly, and sometimes as annoying as possible with the strange inhabitants of this foreign world.

Along the way, the cat befriends a small flying drone, known only as B12. With the help of this newfound companion, the duo try to find a way out.

Here's a link to one of the devblog entries from 2016 showing early cat movement and collision tests: https://hk-devblog.com/2016/01/10/some-gameplay-work-in-progress/

There are other interesting posts on the devblog as well.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Cranberry said:

There's not a ton of info yet, but you control the cat and you befriend (and likely sometimes control) the little droid floating above you in the video. Official description from Steam: 

Here's a link to one of the devblog entries from 2016 showing early cat movement and collision tests: https://hk-devblog.com/2016/01/10/some-gameplay-work-in-progress/

There are other interesting posts on the devblog as well.

Thanks! Yes, it does look interesting.

• Love 1