Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
xaxat

New Game Announcements and Trailers

A whole lot of stuff was announced at the Game Awards last night. Here are the ones I'm most interested in.

The next Far Cry, New Dawn. I've never played a Far Cry, but this might be the first.

Hades. It's from Supergiant and I have loved every game they have made so far. (Pyre, Transmission and Bastion)

The Outer Worlds. From Obsidain, makers of Fallout: New Vegas. Trailer looks fun as hell.

Apparently it's now a thing (Elder Scrolls 6) to make teaser trailers for games that won't happen for years. I'm a huge fan of DA and will definitely be playing it when it releases some time in 2022.

And this trailer for Anthem seems to be screaming "Yes, it's multiplayer, but we have a real story and NPCs! Unlike Fallout 76!"

Edited by xaxat

When did adventure games come back into vogue?  I'm not complaining.

I bought the original when it was on sale last year. Never got around to playing it. I'll probably pass on this.

The newest trailer for Anthem is a combination cut scene/live action short direct by Neil Blomkamp (District Nine)

I really like the look of Anthem and The Division 2, but I am too old to be shooting it out with 14 year olds. Single player for me.

Edited by xaxat

That's pretty cool. He did the Halo shorts too. Maybe that's where his strengths lie? In live action game trailers?

Also, is there a cast list anywhere? I'm looking for one, but not finding it.

Fuck! Fucking fuck! The Outer Worlds won't be on a platform I will play on. See, I'm fine with it being on every platform under the sun, as long as Steam and/or GOG are included. But no. Frankly, I feel betrayed and disappointed. Judging by the responses, I'm not the only one.

Since I was so pissed off before, here's some good news! Bethesda are putting all their current and upcoming games on Steam. They've realised that they can have both a larger piece of a smaller pie, and a smaller piece of a larger pie. This is the way to do it, IMO.

And here's the crazy thing. The cost of Rage 2 has suddenly dropped by $30 Australian. When I first saw this game, I thought it looked like a perfectly decent $60 title. When the price was announced at $100, I had a good laugh. At $70, I might be able to accept that. If I was a preorder person, I'd be tempted by this. But Rage 2 is very much a wait for the reviews kind of game. Still, I live in hope.

Yes! I'm a big Borderlands fan, have 2.5 thousand hours between the three games. Shit that's a lot. Anyway, I hope this is good. I hope this is on Steam. I hope that if the new Siren is melee focused, they'll finally make some better melee.

Well, shit. It'll be on Epic. Still, I didn't buy the others at release. I can wait a few months.

I don't find it to be an especially compelling trailer.

35 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I don't find it to be an especially compelling trailer.

If I wanted to see a boring white guy with light brown hair, I'd look in the mirror. I'm a xenophile in fiction. Give me something different, not just boring old humdrum. At least it looks like he'll have some better companions. A black woman, an alien, and a droid.

If this is just the Star Wars version of Uncharted, and not something where i have to buy a loot box every five minutes, I'm good.

Upon a second watch, his hair may be auburn or even red. I apologise for calling him a boring brown-haired guy. He's still just as boring, though.

Kojima's latest trailer.

Um, OK.

Kojima should really just go ahead and make a game called What the @#$%?

• Like 2

I'm not sure which I'm looking forward to more. The game, or the almost assuredly batshit crazy behind the scenes stories about its production.

Edited by xaxat
  • Like 1

Not only does Cyberpunk 2077 have a release date (4/16/20), but it also has Keanu "Whoa!" Reeves.

• Like 1

April! The one game I'm looking forward to most of all. It's going to be a long wait. OTOH, I keep meaning to replay the Shadowrun games, and I haven't even started Deux Ex yet. I'm not exactly hurting for cyberpunk content.

9 hours ago, starri said:

Not only does Cyberpunk 2077 have a release date (4/16/20), but it also has Keanu "Whoa!" Reeves.

The Keanu reveal was pretty freakin' cool.

So. The award for the most offensive game trailer at E3 goes to Crossfire X. Why? Trigger warning, seriously. September 11 imagery. Yes, it's been close to 20 years. But it still strikes me as incredibly bad taste. Even worse, it looks like the protagonists actually survive not just the missile, but the fall into the water! All this as background for a modern military shooter game.

I didn't know anyone who died in the attacks, or the wars afterwards, at least that I know of. But it still strikes me as ridiculously bad taste.

Square announced a remaster of FFVIII. I am insanely excited about that, far more than VII. 

I’ve also been surprised by the number of games that have been announced that are going to be released on Stadia in addition to consoles. It eases my worry about the level of commitment that Google has in the service. 

Although they probably said that about Google Wave. 

Too many trailers released to post them all, but here is a good windup of the upcoming PC games announced at E3.

Next Spring is going to be insane for RPG fans. All of these titles release between February and May of 2020. Depending on how deep the gameplay is, I can see myself spending a hundred hours plus on each of them.

Cyberpunk 2077

FF VII

Gods and Monsters

Watch Dogs: Legion

6 minutes ago, Captain Carrot said:

I just hope that it's an actual sequel, with something other than the setting connecting it to BG1 and BG2.

Kotaku just posted an interview with Sven Vincke. He says it's a sequel. It's set about a century after the other games, and that Minsc and Boo are still around, among other things.

• Like 1

Oh god, make it stop. 26 minutes of Fallen Order gameplay. Still no personality, and some suspiciously un-Jedilike behaviour. Does he turn to the dark side at some point? I might actually accept that. He might even get interesting in the process. As it currently stands, I have zero desire to play this.

So there's a new Borderlands 3 trailer out. You know the deal. Shooting things, taking their stuff, maybe a joke or two. No, this is worth watching even if you don't want to play the game. Yep, it's a funny one all right.

Gameplay footage from the upcoming Avengers game. It doesn't move me. Can they give the art, the dialogue, and the combat another pass? Everything just feels off. I don't expect a perfect recreation of the movies, but even with what I feel are reasonable game expectations, it just doesn't work.

Except for the Hulk bit. Hitting people with other people never gets old. And a small appearance by Kamala Khan!

There was some more Death Stranding footage revealed at Gamescon.

This game is seriously weird.

On 6/11/2019 at 9:16 AM, starri said:

Square announced a remaster of FFVIII. I am insanely excited about that, far more than VII. 

September 3rd.

Kojima showed off more footage of Death Stranding at a Playstation event. (Edited version.)

When the trailers first started to drop, I was thinking the game would either be brilliant or a self indulgent mess. 

I'm leaning toward the latter now. It looks like a big fetch quest with occasional fights.