Type keyword(s) to search

Amanda To The Rescue - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:45 PM, auntieminem said:

I really like this show. When I saw previews I was thinking I would not like it. She is quirky but in a good way and even though it delivers on feels, overall it is happy and uplifting. 

Me too.  In the previews I thought her personality was a little too much (and that laugh) but after watching the shows I totally love her and realize that is just who she is.  And the world is a better place because she's in it.

• Love 5

Another great episode, with sweet doggies rescued from Central California. 

It was so cool that the two little Bears (Honey & Teddy) were adopted together by the Grandma of Cody, that nice teenager who adopted little old Mr. Rags last season.

Venus, the Husky/Shepherd mix with striking blue eyes, found a nice family, and will likely make a wonderful companion both kids, especially the son who has Down Syndrome.

Kobe, the beefy one-eyed Rottweiler puppy, quickly wormed his way into the reluctant adoptive Dad's heart.  He wasn't on board with the rest of his family's desire for another dog since losing their beloved Diesel, but the minute Amanda walked around the corner with Kobe in her arms, you could see his face just light up.

I cannot think about the neglect and pain these poor pups suffered before being rescued; it is just too distressing for me to imagine.  Thankfully, this show allows me to focus on the happy outcomes.

• Love 4

That sweet kitten was so lovable! I'm so glad it got a home so related to it's own problems.

Not trying to be snarky, I love Amanda, but what is up with the sharp claw like fingernails??  Seems to me that they could hurt a small dog or kitten.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Not trying to be snarky, I love Amanda, but what is up with the sharp claw like fingernails??  Seems to me that they could hurt a small dog or kitten.

Cats & dogs have claws, too - much sharper and more dangerous than Amanda's.  One of my cats had major surgery and infection from an innocent claw puncture wound to the stomach from his BFF kitty - no way could a human fingernail do that.  I'll bet the animals love to be scritched with those talons.  ;~)

Anyone else think that Dr. Jeff (et al) could do that leg surgery for a lot less $$$?

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Anyone else think that Dr. Jeff (et al) could do that leg surgery for a lot less $$$?

Rowdy cat did get the surgery for a fraction of what the first ortho surgeon quoted. My guess is that the surgery and pre/post op care was done at cost. Thought did cross my mind that Dr Jeff would have agreed to do the surgery before making the estimate...... we've seen more than one case where animals were treated for what has to be below cost by the staff at Dr Jeff's PPP as long as the owner family was dedicated to the animal.

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 2

^^^ Agreed.  But the "at or below cost" is a tricky subject.  Sure, if you amortize the cost of all overhead and equipment, and make a profit, it's one thing.  But Dr. Jeff charges what the surgery should cost, and his more benevolent wealthy benefactors cover a lot of overhead.  Plus, he lives simply and doesn't seem to need to make much money for himself.

I'd wager a fairly simple (for Jeff or Petra) leg surgery like that would cost less than $600 at his clinic - well worth the price of a plane ticket.

Floved the kitten bonding - so so very good feels!

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 3

I haven't ever noticed Amanda having those talons for nails - maybe she just felt like it.  I'm sure, however, that the critters she cares for love having scratches from them.

That kitten was adorable and so was the puppy.

• Love 2

Perhaps, someone can help me on this one.  Ref. the pet owners who adored their cat who suffered a mysterious leg injury, (because she was outside) and no one knew how it happened.  And, THEN she got reinjured as she was GOING OUT.  WHAT?  I guess that I just can't understand how you let a pet roam outside these days.  Unless, it's a protected kitty caged area, you can't keep them from highways, other cats, wild animals, cruel humans, etc.  Sounds like a big risk to me.  And, then to let her go outside AFTER she's already had surgery?  I don't get it.  I was hoping they might surrender her to someone who might be able to provide her more security. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Perhaps, someone can help me on this one.  Ref. the pet owners who adored their cat who suffered a mysterious leg injury, (because she was outside) and no one knew how it happened.  And, THEN she got reinjured as she was GOING OUT.  WHAT?  I guess that I just can't understand how you let a pet roam outside these days.  Unless, it's a protected kitty caged area, you can't keep them from highways, other cats, wild animals, cruel humans, etc.  Sounds like a big risk to me.  And, then to let her go outside AFTER she's already had surgery?  I don't get it.  I was hoping they might surrender her to someone who might be able to provide her more security. 

I wondered about that too (although my cat is an indoor/outdoor cat), but if I spent in excess of $7,000 on him he would be an indoor cat.  Having said that, however, he would be absolutely miserable if he was indoors 24/7 because he is not used to it at all.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

I wondered about that too (although my cat is an indoor/outdoor cat), but if I spent in excess of $7,000 on him he would be an indoor cat.  Having said that, however, he would be absolutely miserable if he was indoors 24/7 because he is not used to it at all.

He'll eventually adjust, and (hopefully) live longer for it.  I went through that with one of my boys, and it was cruel to be kind ... 

• Love 4

What gave me pause was the apparent fact that the post-surgery cat was allowed outdoors too soon, and then the owners' behavior was rewarded with a discount surgery. At least that's what I saw. Lucky for kitty. Perhaps the owners got a gentle but firm talking-to behind the scenes.

I'm not a fan of squeaky TV personalities, although I am a private animal squeaker in my own home, but I like that Amanda's smarts and skills are on display.

Fat fuzzy puppies whose tummies drag the ground give me life.

I'm impressed with Amanda's kids.

• Love 5

I realize this is nit picky, but, I can't figure out why she named her son Beast.  It set a tone for the young man and no doubt is something that he will always have to deal with.  Seems odd and I question the reason.  To me, it says that she was trying to make a statement. Only, it's her son who has to deal with it. 

Do you think that Panda Paws pays her a salary?  She doesn't seem to work a regular job. I would imagine it would be difficult to manage another job, plus have the flexibility and time to care for the animals. 

• Love 1

I have the feeling that Amanda is personally financially comfortable, perhaps only recently. I assume she is Executive Director of Panda Paws, drawing a salary.

Does she have title to that home in Hawaii? It's hers or she has use of it, since she and the kids stay there regularly.

And surely she's paid for the show. Her organization is probably now receiving lots of donations. Didn't Chewy pay to have the facility on her property completely renovated to house and care for animals?

I checked Panda Paws for an annual report but thus far Amanda has not submitted one. I never donate to any charity that does not make public financial reports. Learned that the hard way.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 4:31 PM, pasdetrois said:

What gave me pause was the apparent fact that the post-surgery cat was allowed outdoors too soon, and then the owners' behavior was rewarded with a discount surgery. At least that's what I saw. Lucky for kitty. Perhaps the owners got a gentle but firm talking-to behind the scenes.

I'm not a fan of squeaky TV personalities, although I am a private animal squeaker in my own home, but I like that Amanda's smarts and skills are on display.

Fat fuzzy puppies whose tummies drag the ground give me life.

I'm impressed with Amanda's kids.

Beast and Jade seem to be great kids and take their Mom's menagerie in stride.

Funny thing about my indoor/outdoor cat - he has started spending more time inside than out (except for his forays out to bring me presents - I once woke up with a (dead) snake in bed with me.  I sincerely hope it was dead before Ashton put it on the bed.  He has gone from semi-feral to being a lap cat in the last few years.

• Love 1

Oh that mini-Yorkie this week was adorable!  I didn't realize the consequences of teacup breeding practices.

I live near Canton, Texas and Dog Alley is notorious.  Thefts of pedigreed dogs in my small town happen routinely and it usually occurs right before "First Monday" in Canton (there is a huge craft/tradeshow thing the weekend that is attached to the first Monday of every month - for instance the next First Monday will probably be November 30 since the first Monday of December is December 2).  I guess that the authorities figure if they close it down it will make conditions even worse for the animals in that area.  That poor dog's paws were horrible!

Two of my favorite Saturday night shows doing a crossover is a win-win for me (I told somebody that I date Animal Planet on Saturday night - which doesn't say much for my social life, does it?).

• Love 4

I really enjoyed the crossover show, especially seeing Amanda working with the dogs even while travelling.  I can imagine how sick and exhausted she was feeling; I had pneumonia and a sinus infection a while back, and was too sick and weak to even move, until all the meds kicked in, many days later.  She really is an amazing person.

• Love 3

So the remaining two road trip pups got their happy ending and found perfect homes.  Cupid will get a the physical therapy she needs, with love and acceptance from her family, both human and animal.  It was cool to see she has a two-legged housemate who looks like a smaller version of Duncan the Wonder Dog!   I just knew Patrick the cameraman had fallen hard for Everly; it's amazing that they were able to introduce her to his dog-hating chihuahua so easily.

Amanda's tv crew will all eventually end up with one of her rescues!  ;~)

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:14 AM, walnutqueen said:

So the remaining two road trip pups got their happy ending and found perfect homes.  Cupid will get a the physical therapy she needs, with love and acceptance from her family, both human and animal.  It was cool to see she has a two-legged housemate who looks like a smaller version of Duncan the Wonder Dog!   I just knew Patrick the cameraman had fallen hard for Everly; it's amazing that they were able to introduce her to his dog-hating chihuahua so easily.

Amanda's tv crew will all eventually end up with one of her rescues!  ;~)

I guess that introducing dogs the right way has a lot to do with how accepting the other dog can be - Amanda had them introduced with a minimal amount of tension, lots of treats and respecting Patrick's dog's territory.  Or maybe it was just a case of right dog, right place, right time.  Anyway, that was a sweet ending to both of the road trip dogs' stories.

• Love 5

I recall an episode of Dog Whisperer where Caesar said to let them smell the rear end before introducing face to face. This is yet another example of how this can work. Glad it worked out!

I had to look away when they showed the dogs abscessed took getting lanced! Oh my....bless Jade's heart she LOVES this kind of stuff and wants to do this when she grows up! We must THANK people like this for existing. I would have thrown up if I'd been in that room, wow!

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:40 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I realize this is nit picky, but, I can't figure out why she named her son Beast.  It set a tone for the young man and no doubt is something that he will always have to deal with.  Seems odd and I question the reason.  To me, it says that she was trying to make a statement. Only, it's her son who has to deal with it. 

Do you think that Panda Paws pays her a salary?  She doesn't seem to work a regular job. I would imagine it would be difficult to manage another job, plus have the flexibility and time to care for the animals. 

Beast is a nickname, I believe. They said his "real" name on one of the earliest episodes when they first introduced the family. 

• Love 3

I would also assume Beast is a nickname - if his last name is the same as her's (Geist? - not sure if it is pronounced G "long I" or G "long E) then it would be Beast Geist which I can see her using as a nickname when he was younger.  

Most nonprofits pay the person who does the actual on the ground work a salary.  Since Amanda cares for those dogs 24/7 then I suspect she does get paid by Panda Paws.  It is good she has an oversight board to keep it aboveboard.

• Love 3

Well, I suppose that Beast being a nickname would be better than an actual given name......I guess. lol Both of the children are quite delightful.  I'd think more appropriate names would be used, like Hero or Noble.  

• LOL 2
15 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Well, I suppose that Beast being a nickname would be better than an actual given name......I guess. lol Both of the children are quite delightful.  I'd think more appropriate names would be used, like Hero or Noble.  

I believe his name is Bradon Geise (I got the spelling of the name wrong a few posts above).  Also apparently Amanda is engaged to someone named Jeffree but they must be keeping teir relationship way quiet.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

I believe his name is Bradon Geise (I got the spelling of the name wrong a few posts above).  Also apparently Amanda is engaged to someone named Jeffree but they must be keeping teir relationship way quiet.

OMG....I had no idea.  I think it was in the first episode of this season, Amanda got real emotional.  I thought it was due to missing her old boyfriend. Hmmm.....well, who knows when that episode was filmed. Maybe, the timing was before she met this new person.  But to be engaged so quickly......man.

Bradon is a nice name. Not sure why someone would prefer to be called Beast. lol

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

OMG....I had no idea.  I think it was in the first episode of this season, Amanda got real emotional.  I thought it was due to missing her old boyfriend. Hmmm.....well, who knows when that episode was filmed. Maybe, the timing was before she met this new person.  But to be engaged so quickly......man.

Bradon is a nice name. Not sure why someone would prefer to be called Beast. lol

The sweet thing is that he appears to be as far from a beast as one teenaged boy can get!

I was watching a Facebook Live with Amanda earlier this week (slow week at work) and I think she said the episodes we were seeing now were filmed last January, so what seems real-time for us is actually ancient history for them...so if she broke up with Gary before this current season then it has been at least close to a year.  

• Love 3

I acknowledge what Amanda does is admirable, but, I would think it takes a special kind of partner to live in that kind of an environment with her.  Plus, you can't be first in her life, as there are the kids, then the animals.  lol  I love animals, but, I'm pretty sure that I couldn't live that lifestyle.  

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I acknowledge what Amanda does is admirable, but, I would think it takes a special kind of partner to live in that kind of an environment with her.  Plus, you can't be first in her life, as there are the kids, then the animals.  lol  I love animals, but, I'm pretty sure that I couldn't live that lifestyle.  

I suspect she would have to find someone who shares her passion.  I know Tia Torres' husband (ex-husband - she hasn't mentioned him in years since he went back to prison) was fundamental in starting Parolees part of her rescue, and presumably was also passionate about the dogs.

• Love 2

Oh man! All my animal shows tonight have such sad stories. I'm afraid Lowkey is going to be another Splat (the swimmer pup) and have to be put to sleep. I hope not, I've cried enough tonight.

Edited by Gramto6
typo

Animal Planet officially wrecked me tonight!  Too many sad stories in a row. So glad that Sprout did find his happily ever after though. One bright spot.

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Love 2

Sprout was so uplifting. Lowkey was a sad story. Amanda is truly a very devoted animal caregiver. I can see why she worries about the emotional turmoil on the kids.  

I really think this is the best show on Animal Planet right now.  I prefer it far better than Pit Bulls or the Crikey show. I wonder if the rescue has received an increase in donations since the show went on air.  

I do find Amanda's increasing number of tattoos confusing.  They are now all over her arms and legs, as well as neck.  I get having a few tattoos, but, covering most of your body.....?  I don't get it.  I've noticed that many of the people on Pit Bulls and Parolees have their body covered too.  Is this an animal thing? I find it very distracting. 

I had never heard of the condition that Lowkey had until I started watching this show.  I didn't realize it was that common.  

• Love 4
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 9:27 PM, Gramto6 said:

Oh man! All my animal shows tonight have such sad stories. I'm afraid Lowkey is going to be another Splat (the swimmer pup) and have to be put to sleep. I hope not, I've cried enough tonight.

That was a sad story but sometimes doing the best thing for the pet is the hardest thing.  One can truly say that the little pup knew he was loved from the moment he was put into Jade's arms.

Perhaps Beast got his nickname when he was doing motorcross.  

Speaking of sad stories, did you happen to watch Crikey where the zebra had to be put down?  You are correct, it was a sad night for the animal planet viewers!  (Perhaps they didn't all air on the same night but I watched them all at the same time!)

• Love 2
3 hours ago, RoxiP said:

That was a sad story but sometimes doing the best thing for the pet is the hardest thing.  One can truly say that the little pup knew he was loved from the moment he was put into Jade's arms.

Speaking of sad stories, did you happen to watch Crikey where the zebra had to be put down?  You are correct, it was a sad night for the animal planet viewers!  (Perhaps they didn't all air on the same night but I watched them all at the same time!)

Yes, I noticed that. I was trying to think of ways to help the zebra live, like giving him already ground up hay?......not feasible though. And, not feasible for Lowkey.  No way someone could attend to a large heavy dog 24/7 every two hours for cleaning....holding his head up all the time AND, he was in pain.  Just a sad situation.  The kids flew to my state to pick up Lowkey.  I guess the lady who saved him had no way of knowing just how severe his condition was. At least they tried. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, RoxiP said:

For a flash of a moment, I though implants for the zebra. But quickly realized it was not possible, plus he was a senior and had lived a full life. And yes, what is best for the animal is often the hardest. Been there had to do it myself with my sweet cat.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

For a flash of a moment, I though implants for the zebra. But quickly realized it was not possible, plus he was a senior and had lived a full life. And yes, what is best for the animal is often the hardest. Been there had to do it myself with my sweet cat.

Yes. In the wild he would have died of starvation or been eaten by lions due to his weakness.  And, Lowkey.....I'm surprised that the mother allowed him to live. I've always been told the mother dog will not nurse a puppy that is not healthy or disabled. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

And yes, what is best for the animal is often the hardest. Been there had to do it myself with my sweet cat.

Yes, not only making the decision, but questioning yourself afterwards. 😢😢😢

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 3

Same with my beloved Siamese.  She had kidney failure and my daughter had taken her to the vet while I was at work.  The vet called me and offered to put her on IV fluids for her to come home and I asked if that would give her another six months, six weeks, six days and he said at best six days - he just wanted to give me the opportunity to say goodbye.  I knew when I left her that morning that I was saying goodbye and I did not want her to suffer for another single minute.  I still miss her so but I knew letting her go was in her best interest.

I was wondering about the zebra too, and for an instance I was wondering why they didn't feed him mash or something, but then it occurred to me that their digestive system is geared to only eat hay so he probably wouldn't have been able to digest something softer.  I wonder if they already knew his days were numbered and that is why they were bringing in the new zebra.

Amanda had another dog with the same condition earlier this season and was able to rehabilitate it into a good enough condition that it was able to get a new home - I guess this one was too far gone.  I think a lot of it has to do with the size of the dog and how early they are able to get intervention and PT.

• Love 2

Was last night a repeat? It was about little ChickPea, who Amanda said was the most seriously ill of any pet they have placed for adoption.  And, Aiden, who was another guy from Tia's rescue group. Chickpea really did get to me.  Man, I'm glad she has a great home. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

At least that irresponsible breeder had the grace to turn Chickpea over to the rescue that brought her to Amanda. I would guess other places would have just let the puppy die.

There is that - but, if I heard correctly this is not the first time this breeder has surrender puppies with genetic defects. So, yeah, better than simply euthanizing the "defective" puppies. Would have been much better to hear that they identified the dogs with defective genes and stopped using them as breeders.

Sort of think of the breeder as being on par with someone who ties a dog to the fence at a rescue - better than dumping the dog out in the country, but I'm not going to think very highly of the person doing it

• Love 3

It was not a repeat - sadly it was the season finale.  

Amanda said that this breeder is trying to breed for the "tiny" French Bulldog, which is undoubtedly what is causing the horrible genetic issues that Chickpea (and presumably others) has.  

Aiden was so cute - he had no idea that there was anything wrong with him! 

• Love 3
On 12/8/2019 at 6:17 PM, SRTouch said:

There is that - but, if I heard correctly this is not the first time this breeder has surrender puppies with genetic defects. So, yeah, better than simply euthanizing the "defective" puppies. Would have been much better to hear that they identified the dogs with defective genes and stopped using them as breeders.

Sort of think of the breeder as being on par with someone who ties a dog to the fence at a rescue - better than dumping the dog out in the country, but I'm not going to think very highly of the person doing it

Oh no, I don't give the breeder any good credit, other than not killing the defective    puppies. I think this whole designer dog thing is disgusting and cruel to the poor defective puppies. 

• Love 5

A little off-topic, but I ordered two t-shirts from Panda Paws and received them yesterday - they are really nice, decent weight and I got lots of compliments on the one I wore last night (the other was a gift).  

• Love 1

Well this looks to be ugly (I got this off the Panda Paws Rescue website)...I'm assuming that is her former partner?

Wednesday September 2nd, 2020 - 3:56 pm

It is with great dismay that we, the board of directors of Panda Paws Rescue, inform our supporters that former Panda Paws Rescue director and officer Gary Walters has claimed ownership of the Panda Paws Rescue YouTube channel, the Panda Paws Rescue logo, and all the videos he helped make for Panda Paws Rescue. Additionally, he has used Panda Paws Rescue’s name on his for-profit website, as well as images of Panda Paws Rescue’s president, Amanda Giese, and her children, without permission and in violation of a written agreement. Mr. Walters has no basis to claim ownership over Panda Paws Rescue’s intellectual property. Nor does he have any right to use the Panda Paws Rescue name or images of Ms. Giese and her children. Mr. Walters’ conduct has forced Panda Paws Rescue and Ms. Giese to file a lawsuit in federal court to protect Panda Paws Rescue’s intellectual property, good will, and non-profit status. Panda Paws Rescue intends to publicly fundraise so that it has the resources to vigorously prosecute this lawsuit. We will, as always, be transparent and keep our cherished supporters updated as this transpires over the next several months. Thank you for your understanding and continued support. ... See Less

I miss this show a lot!

Yesterday I was surfing for something to watch and there was a full day of Amanda to the Rescue on Animal Planet!  I wonder if something is afoot and maybe it will be back? I know from that last post above it sounds doubtful, but one can hope.

She has moved (I think to Michigan).  I follow her on Facebook and she seems to be living a whole new life, although of course still involved with rescue.  It seems that she does more coordination between rescues in her new location.  Of course I could just be misinterpreting.  This really was a good show.  I have a t-shirt and everywhere I go people ask me what it is about.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, RoxiP said:

She has moved (I think to Michigan).  I follow her on Facebook and she seems to be living a whole new life, although of course still involved with rescue.  It seems that she does more coordination between rescues in her new location.  Of course I could just be misinterpreting.  This really was a good show.  I have a t-shirt and everywhere I go people ask me what it is about.

Oh darn! I had a little secret hope the show would come back. Glad she is still involved in rescue, I'm sure she is a great asset to whatever organization she is working with.

Her rescue is still with the PandaPaws umbrella.  Just different location and I don't see her featuring special needs animals as much...which she might still be doing - I just don't focus on her site that much.  I really liked this show and I liked her too.  Animal Planet really did viewers dirty by getting rid of all of their good shows.

• Like 1