Type keyword(s) to search

The Fault in Our Stars (2014)

SnoGirl
  • Start Topic

Did anyone see this last night? How was the Night Before the Stars question and answer forum? As someone who worked in the movie theater for years before my real job, I thought that this was a totally crazy idea and wished I could go participate in it. I'm totally a sucker for John Green and the Nerdfighters, so I can't wait to see this too.

Oh, my God, Ansel Elgort just *shines* in this movie.  The scenes where his face changes from a smile to tears were beautiful.  Shailene Woodley may be the star, but Ansel comes out shining.  Good movie, bring lots of kleenex.

• Love 3
(edited)

My only bitch about this is that I thought they soft-pedaled the car gas station scene...it could've been a lot more gritty and brutal than it was. Otherwise, the movie was everything I wanted for an adaption- honestly, I thought it was probably the most faithful adaption I've ever seen. Everyone was exactly how I pictured them in my head, except for maybe Hazel's dad, who I pictured as more of a buttoned-down accountant type.

When they got to the eulogy scene, I was a complete and total mess. I've never cried that hard at a movie before.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
(edited)

I thought this was very well done and quite faithful to the book. The two leads did a fine job, though I thought Ansel practically walked away with the whole thing.

Edited by Mrs. P.
  • Love 1

Watched it. Cried a lot. It hit close to home with the whole cancer-goodbyes theme (my dad has cancer and we're fighting).

The only minor thing that bugged me was... that all the cancer patients looked too healthy. I've been around the oncology ward a lot (too much, actually) and I believe the effect cancer has on your body was glamoured.

Still, a pretty emotional journey plus a nice meta about books and their authors.

I just read an article discussing the criticisms that have been expressed about the kissing scene that occurs in the Anne Frank house. (Sorry - I'm unable to provide the link.) Apparently the opinions are fairly evenly divided - some feel the kiss was disrespectful to Frank's legacy and history; others find it in tune with her message of life and hope.

I was surprised to read about the controversary. It never occurred to me to be offended by the scene, either when reading the book or watching the movie.

The scene in the Anne Frank house where they were kissing and people started clapping seemed really unrealistic to me -- I can't envision that happening at all. Not the kiss, but the clapping. It's been a while since I read the book -- was that in it? Other than that, I liked it and definitely a tearjerker.

• Love 1

The scene in the Anne Frank house where they were kissing and people started clapping seemed really unrealistic to me -- I can't envision that happening at all. Not the kiss, but the clapping. It's been a while since I read the book -- was that in it? Other than that, I liked it and definitely a tearjerker.

Yes, there was also clapping during the kissing scene in the book.

That scene felt really weird in the movie. I think that it worked better in the book--it's been awhile since I read it, but I seem to remember that in the book, other visitors were more aware of her struggle to get up the stairs and that's why they started clapping? Something like that. But in the movie, it seemed like there was maybe one person who was behind them.

I did enjoy the movie though, I thought it was a pretty good adaptation. I agree with those who said this was Ansels' movie. When it was announced that he would play Gus, I was skeptical (especially since he and Shailene play brother and sister in Divergent) but he did a great job as Gus. I thought he was just perfect. I'm not a huge fan of Shailene, but I thought she did a good job as Hazel.

• Love 2

I finally was able to see this movie last night and I loved it! I felt like I was watching a love letter from the cast and crew to John Green and his fans. I absolutely cannot believe how much this was like the book. Even the small details like Gus having a huge "V for Vendetta" poster, or the encouragement everywhere in Gus' room were spot on. I think this might become my new Gold Standard for what I compare other book movies to in the future. I had to literally stop myself from whispering "that's straight from the book" throughout the entire movie to my friend.

I loved what Shailene as Ansel were able to portray about Hazel and Gus. I knew how the movie was going to end and I still couldn't hold back the tears. And the volume of people crying shocked me as well. There were two males behind me before the movie who said they couldn't believe their girlfriends brought tissues to a movie. It was a good thing the girls did, because I'm pretty sure the boys were crying before their girlfriends!

I hope that whichever film company owns the rights to "Looking for Alaska" hires the same

Director and Crew that did this movie and are now going to do Paper Towns. They would be fools not to.

I wish all Directors and Film Companies made book movies like The Fault in Our Stars. I really felt like the scenes that I saw in my head while I read the books were being played out verbatim on the big screen. Amazing.

• Love 1

I just saw this last night in HBO. I enjoyed it. I broke my no "cancer" movie rule now that I have seen people with real life cancer. It did make me cry. I read the book too. The only thing I didn't love with Shalene's performance. She has a giggle that she uses that I don't really remember the book Hazel ever doing and it kind of annoyed me. The book Hazel was far more acerbic and I don't remember her giggle.

I enjoyed that they didn't movie up cancer.  Augustus died and all Hazel got was a phone call. No sitting around the bed on a  vigil.

I watched this on HBO. I, too, generally avoid cancer films, but I did like the book, so I wanted to see what they did with it.

I felt like there was something emotional missing, but I can't put my finger on it. The film felt shallow to me.

(edited)

I felt like there was something emotional missing, but I can't put my finger on it. The film felt shallow to me.

I think in general it was just too happy.  Too many peppy rock songs.\

Edited by BooBear

This movie has the formula for making girls cry, saw this in theaters with my girlfriend and there were a lot of napkins being used as tissue. It was a really touching film and I found myself feeling for the characters. It will stick with you long after you're done watching and make you think about life.

I think in general it was just too happy.  Too many peppy rock songs.\

They really, really glossed over how brutal and nasty Gus's death was.

At the same time, Ansel and Shailene have every right to be proud of this movie. Ansel Elgort just shines, as put upthread. That smile is the kind that just socks you with joy when you see it.

Edited by methodwriter85

I remember going to this movie when it came out after just finishing the book.

I was prepared and actually looing forward to a good cry.

But the movie was RUINED for me. Bunch of tweenie girls sitting 5 rows behind were quoting every line out loud, and then they were sobbing with that dramatic soap opera "I'm dying here" whale. I was annoyed, angry and I was actually laughing at the end. (heartless bitch lol)

last time I was inappropriately laughing was during Titanic, but it was because by the time Jack was dead my nerves and emotions were already so high strung and I have been a crying mess for some time, that when my friend and I looked at each other's ruined make up we were not able to stop laughing.

Edited by vavera4ka