Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Comrades

What I don't get is: these two were not really THAT intimate, we were made to think, before they separated. And this was their first night back together after she'd been away healing from getting shot. THAT is the sex act they decide they're going to do to get back into it? HIGH DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY!

• Love 1

What I don't get is: these two were not really THAT intimate, we were made to think, before they separated. And this was their first night back together after she'd been away healing from getting shot. THAT is the sex act they decide they're going to do to get back into it? HIGH DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY!

I was under a bit of the impression that they staged it (well, not staged it, but a little bit set it up) so that Paige would walk in on them and be horrified. Based on their dialogue after breakfast, it seemed like they sort of suspected that Paige was snooping on them, so this would throw her off that scent a little bit. Maybe I'm horribly misinterpreting things. Regardless, yes. High degree of difficulty. 

• Love 2

I'm super late to this (stupid, awesome vacation), but I got the feeling that Elizabeth and Phillip might have seen each other in those two months? So maybe they've had a couple of other sexy encounters since the incident.

(edited)

I'm caught up to this point so I can finally start joining the S2 discussion!   I like the way the show is integrating Paige and Henry into the storylines.  It feels natural and low-key, much better than what Homeland did with Dana.  The scene of the other family dead in their hotel room (except for the son -- what do the "Comrades" do for a kid in this situation?) was so shocking, and you could feel that it was for Elizabeth and Phillip as well.  I did not quite follow who they thought executed the family and why, so I'll need to re-watch.  Excellent start to S2, though.

Edited by Inquisitionist
  • Love 1

So glad you're watching! One thing I can tell you is that P&E have no idea who might have executed them, but just generally feel like as Illegals they're always a target. So when Philip says "you want a list [of suspects]?" he's basically just saying that there are tons of people who might want them dead.

• Love 2

I've just rewatched this after seeing the rest of the season.  i don't have any problem with how Jared's reaction was staged, in light of the subsequent information that

he was the killer.

There were people in the hallway when he entered the room, so he'd know that

he needed to act surprised for their benefit.

The director wanted a specific reaction and probably shared just enough with the young actor to get that.  For Mad Men fans, I'm pretty sure that various reactions we saw from Sally did not involve Kiernan Shipka actually knowing that her character had seen her step-grandmother fellating Roger Sterling or even that her own character had been caught masturbating. 

Season 2 rewatch notes:

The episode that reminds you of the time you walked in on your parents having sex.  Although it was the following scene that was unintentionally/intentionally hilarious.   Paige trying not to gag when her mother ate a slice of bacon......All while Henry was droning on oblivious.

Even from the beginning the season started with "but the children".  It was subtle but rewatching it you can see it.  Philip using Henrry on a "brush pass".    Then Jarod being the lone survivor and Elizabeth losing sight of Paige for that single moment.  And the first scene with the deer in the headlight with the baby deer behind.  

What different people consider good movies is interesting.  I could see Sandra liking a good chick flick but Nina finding that same movie offensive.   I'd have prefered Mad Max.

When the list of people who would want to kill you is that long maybe it's time to retire. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Even from the beginning the season started with "but the children".  It was subtle but rewatching it you can see it.  Philip using Henrry on a "brush pass".  

I always remember that moment when they're discussing the brush pass as seeming really important. Philip feels terrible about bringing Henry into it, even in an oblivious way. Elizabeth gives the usual comfort that he "had no choice" and Philip says "Yeah, I did." Philip's starting to see himself as a person making choices--or trying to make choices--and who can therefore make (or could have made) different choices. 

You know, we probably could make an All Episodes thread. Because I originally made some references to more specific things later on and then cut it out because they're spoilers after this ep.

• Love 3

I think their realizing that Claudia is still around was a blow to their sense of being irreplaceably valuable, particularly juxtposed to the (as yet unexplained). murder of the other family. (from wiki: "" another Soviet spy couple, Emmett and Leanne Connors.""). Seeing their flame go out, providing a dismal reality-check for Phillip and Elizabeth, as well as a loss of that rarest of things, someone like them, confidantes however operationally limited the relationship might be, and like an aversive electric shock for attachment-averse Elizabeth, trying to recreate her faux-marriage with a "bigamist husband" and a much-too-rapidly maturing and changing teenaged daughter (and soon son).