Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: I Wasn't Ready

• Start Topic

Decided to check this out, since I liked House of Cards.  I understand that its based on a book, so I'll have to check it out at my library at some point.

I figured there'd be race separation, but found it funny how the one spanish speaking lady called the other a coconut (brown on the outside, white on the inside, sortof like the oreo name, I presume) because she didn't speak spanish, yet Chapman did.  And yup, Chapman should have kept her mouth shut after thanking Red for the yogurt.  She may be new and get some slack, but not much.  And lol over how she keeps saying "but the book said X" as if there's an instruction manual.

I presume the somewhat longer sentence (compared to the crack dealer) was because of the large amount of cash Chapman muled.

I didn't quite get the one guard that obviously masterbated after her phone call.  Was he just fantasizing over the 'new girl?'

Just started watching with Mrs. Daddee just last night…we are now b-watching through the weekend...

Lots of things to enjoy in S1E1.  I thought "Weeds" by J. Kohan was terrific, although I admit to RL causing me to lose track of it after a few seasons.  What grabbed us in the "OITNB" premier was the sheer carnival of characters.  But above all, like all the scripted shows we enjoy most, this one immediately demonstrated that the creators and showrunners assumed that the audience is intelligent - earning our instant appreciation and loyalty to the show.  Even better now that we can watch for as many hours as we prefer.  Netflix has some very forward thinking development execs; very glad they rolled with this show.    

Edited by Daddee
  • Love 2

Just started watching the series and really enjoyed the first episode!

I'm surprised Chapman didn't immediately suspect something when the server gave her food specifically from Red the next morning.

Just started watching the series and really enjoyed the first episode!

I'm surprised Chapman didn't immediately suspect something when the server gave her food specifically from Red the next morning.

It's been a long time since I saw the first ep, but I seem to recall that Piper reacted as if Red were honoring her with a special "welcome to the prison" dish . . . thus illustrating Piper's naivety and/or sense of entitlement.