Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: In The Club

Lisin
  • Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Well don't leave us waiting. Is Bruce Leroy still pretty???????

Lol!  Yes, very!  I almost peed myself when I turned the corner and saw him standing there.  I turned to my friend and said, "Oh my gawd, it's motherfucking Taimak!"  And she said, "who?" And then I asked her what the hell it was she was doing during the 80s.....Anyway, he was super nice and friendly, even as I was geeking out and telling him that The Last Dragon is in my top 3 favorite movies.  And then he posed with me for about 5 pictures and told me I was very cool and kissed me on the cheek!  I was this close to asking him about Vanity and if he keeps in touch with her now that she's saved, sober, and bit off her rocker, but I thought it wouldn't be a good idea.  Lol!

• Love 3

I was this close to asking him about Vanity and if he keeps in touch with her now that she's saved, sober, and bit off her rocker, but I thought it wouldn't be a good idea.  Lol!

Ha! I was wondering if he was still fine. Hollywood better leave that movie alone. I wish you asked about Vanity.  I remember seeing a Youtube video of her years ago on some Christian TV show, and she looked matronly. She looked like her former self's mother.  I was shocked.  Glad she cleaned herself up, but the pendulum really swung in the opposite direction. 

I still turn up to Nasty Girl, tho. Sorry, Sister Vanity.

Edited by Sheenieb
  • Love 2

I wished you asked about Vanity.  I remember seeing a Youtube video of her years ago on some Christian TV show, and she looked matronly. She looked like her former self's mother.  I was shocked.  Glad she cleaned herself up, but the pendulum really swung in the opposite direction. 

I still turn up to Nasty Girl, tho. Sorry, Sister Vanity.

A couple months ago, I read Nikki Sixx's biography, "The Heroin Diaries", which had a lot of Vanity in it, as she and Nikki were engaged during the time period that the book covers.  The book had a really cool structure; since it was actual diary entries, the co-writer of the book reached out to all the people in Nikki's life at the time and would have them read the entry and then allow them to comment on what they remembered about the day, event, incident, etc.  All of those comments ended up in the book.  Vanity's comments were all insane!  She would skirt around what ever the subject was and start talking about god and the devil and other stuff in a very nonsensical manner that was so difficult to follow, partly because I was dying laughing at the cuckoo bananas of it all.  Also, every other person interviewed for the book spoke about how awful and crazy she was during that time (1985-1987), which was right about the time The Last Dragon was made.      

Hollywood better leave that movie alone. 

For real.  I will boycott any remake, especially one that stars Rhiannah.  They need to leave all 80s movies alone!

There can never be a good remake of The Last Dragon!!! And, off subject, but on Vanity - have you noticed the people that did the worse shit catch the most religion. Jus' sayin'  I guess I might be in that category some. <screw face>

• Love 2

There can never be a good remake of The Last Dragon!!! And, off subject, but on Vanity - have you noticed the people that did the worse shit catch the most religion. Jus' sayin'  I guess I might be in that category some. <screw face>

Never! I remember there was a rumor about Samuel L. Jackson playing Sho'Nuff. I mean, I like SLJ and all, but no.  There can be only one Sho'Nuff, and Julius Carry (RIP) was it.

If he were still alive, I think he'd fit in on Power.  This is some menacing shit right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_wEb39SuXI

And yes, it's always the hyper religious people that you have to keep your good eye on. There's nothing wrong with being spiritual, but I guess the ones with the sketchy pasts feel as if they have to go all the way in to make up for it.

• Love 2
On 11/22/2023 at 8:10 AM, luckyroll3 said:

Literally just pushed play on a rewatch for the holiday weekend. In the first 1 minute, I'm already sighing hard from sightings of Holly, Lakeisha, and Kanan's dumb son. But thumbs up for Julianna!

Who's in??????

joey-friends.gif

I don't remember a Julianna!!! 😭 😭 😭

Did you rewatch from season 1? 👀

• Like 2
On 11/26/2023 at 2:00 AM, AntFTW said:

I don't remember a Julianna!!! 😭 😭 😭

12 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I don’t remember her either!

I though @AntFTW was making a joke! Is Julianna not her name?!?!? The girl with the scar that was Tommy's partner in Force?

Fuck, I just looked it up and it's Liliana! I've been calling her Julianna all this time! 🤣

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, luckyroll3 said:

I though @AntFTW was making a joke! Is Julianna not her name?!?!? The girl with the scar that was Tommy's partner in Force?

Fuck, I just looked it up and it's Liliana! I've been calling her Julianna all this time! 🤣

I swear, I don't even remember Liliana from the original Power! Obviously, we remember from Force, but when trying to remember her from the original Power, I'm drawing a blank.

I'm gonna rewatch from the start now.

37 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

I swear, I don't even remember Liliana from the original Power! Obviously, we remember from Force, but when trying to remember her from the original Power, I'm drawing a blank.

Liliana was in the original Power season 1, she got the scar and they sent her to chicago because she was so recognizable. That was Ghost’s idea because she proved her loyalty not going to the ER etc. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Scarlett45 said:

Liliana was in the original Power season 1, she got the scar and they sent her to chicago because she was so recognizable. That was Ghost’s idea because she proved her loyalty not going to the ER etc. 

I feel like there was a person that got attacked in an elevator way back in Season 1, right? If so, was that her?

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, AntFTW said:

2 hours ago, AntFTW said:

I feel like there was a person that got attacked in an elevator way back in Season 1, right? If so, was that her?

When she showed up on Force, I didn't remember her at all. But she was in the first couple minutes of the original's premiere ep and the attack happened in ep 2 or 3!

3 hours ago, AntFTW said:

happy-yay.gif

Should we start an All-Seasons Discussion thread?

• LOL 1
On 11/28/2023 at 3:15 PM, luckyroll3 said:

When she showed up on Force, I didn't remember her at all. But she was in the first couple minutes of the original's premiere ep and the attack happened in ep 2 or 3!

I'm halfway through the first season... and even upon my rewatch, had I not heard it from y'all, I still wouldn't have noticed that was Liliana that we meet again in Book 4.

When I started watching the show, I was late to the party. When I started, the 3 seasons were out already. I binged watched all of it and I was HOOKED! The show that we start with feels like a different show than when we finish it.

Edited by AntFTW
On 11/30/2023 at 8:36 PM, AntFTW said:

The show that we start with feels like a different show than when we finish it.

The literal character assassinations in the last 2 seasons are frustrating as fuck. The writers changed several characters' motivations and personalities to suit the story they wanted to tell instead of making their actions make sense for who they'd already established the characters to be. Lakeisha and Proctor come to mind immediately, but there were others. 

On 12/3/2023 at 11:13 AM, luckyroll3 said:

Lol! Knowing that she would die soon helped!

It helps that she's mostly absent in season 2.

I was tempted to fast forward through all of her parts. When I started rewatching and she popped up, I was like "Oh shit! I forgot about her." For real, I really forgot I had to deal with her if I was going to rewatch.

I'm on Season 4 now. Seasons 1-3 had me hooked!

• LOL 1
On 12/4/2023 at 5:29 PM, luckyroll3 said:

The literal character assassinations in the last 2 seasons are frustrating as fuck. The writers changed several characters' motivations and personalities to suit the story they wanted to tell instead of making their actions make sense for who they'd already established the characters to be. Lakeisha and Proctor come to mind immediately, but there were others. 

I think Lakeisha is dead on. I'm on the fence about Proctor. For lack of better words, I think we got too much character development with Proctor. I feel like they created more of a story for him than we needed.

I just finished season 5, watched Angela die.

The biggest thing that I may have forgotten or didn't notice the first time is the fractures that exist between the characters are already there when the show started. The big ones are Ghost and Tommy not seeing eye-to-eye from the start; and Ghost and Tasha's marriage (even in the absence of Angela) is strained. Those two things pretty much drives the rest of the show.

• Love 1
On 12/8/2023 at 9:10 PM, AntFTW said:

I'm on the fence about Proctor. For lack of better words, I think we got too much character development with Proctor. I feel like they created more of a story for him than we needed.

For me, when they introduced Proctor, they showed him to be a very good lawyer. One who was brilliant enough to operate in the gray. Dirty, yes, but because he knew how to manage the loopholes to his advantage. Then, after Jamie's trial, all of a sudden he's helping Jamie and Tommy plan murders?!?! Proctor was too good a lawyer and too smart to allow himself to be in the room to overhear the plan, much less take part in the planning! I feel they swung too far in the other direction with him. 

On 12/8/2023 at 9:10 PM, AntFTW said:

The biggest thing that I may have forgotten or didn't notice the first time is the fractures that exist between the characters are already there when the show started. The big ones are Ghost and Tommy not seeing eye-to-eye from the start; and Ghost and Tasha's marriage (even in the absence of Angela) is strained. Those two things pretty much drives the rest of the show.

Oh for sure. And don't forget that Jamie has always been a self-righteous, self-involved, and hypocritical dick. They certainly got that right in season 6. 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, luckyroll3 said:

For me, when they introduced Proctor, they showed him to be a very good lawyer. One who was brilliant enough to operate in the gray. Dirty, yes, but because he knew how to manage the loopholes to his advantage. Then, after Jamie's trial, all of a sudden he's helping Jamie and Tommy plan murders?!?! Proctor was too good a lawyer and too smart to allow himself to be in the room to overhear the plan, much less take part in the planning! I feel they swung too far in the other direction with him. 

That’s the way I feel about Angela. She went down a similar path I think.

I feel like they performed a tug-of-war in personalities for Angela. One minute, she’s operating by the book (how we start), and then she operates in the gray (feeding info to Ghost); then, she back operating by the book (when she wants find Greg’s killer, whistleblowing on the prosecutors in her office); then goes back to gray, then to open to having people killed (Mike Sandoval, John Mak) and Dre shot at to get him sign a witness statement.

• Love 1