Type keyword(s) to search

Beautiful Boy (2018)

Silver Raven
  • Start Topic

Slow, with a confusing time line (when are we seeing this scene, now?). but you can't fault the acting.  Steve Carell, in particular, was outstanding.  He'll probably get an Oscar nomination for Welcome to Marwen, but he deserves it for this.

The sound track was strange, too.  And I thought "Sunrise, Sunset" was just too spot on the nose, it was kind of ridiculous.

Jack Dylan Grazer was pretty good, too, and he's a dead ringer for Timothee Chalamet.

• Love 2

I was very underwhelmed....I really liked Steve C and while I’m a huge TC fan I wasn’t that impressed by his performance....I thought it didn’t have a lot of range....but, I blame the director for that....I think if anything it shows how talented TC is that he took what he was given and was able to give a performance most think he’ll be nominated for. 

I didn’ t hate the movie, but I didn’t like it either, I think it told a very realistic story of addiction but it just lacked something...I can’t explain what....

• Love 1
On 11/3/2018 at 12:02 AM, snickers said:

I was very underwhelmed....I really liked Steve C and while I’m a huge TC fan I wasn’t that impressed by his performance....I thought it didn’t have a lot of range....but, I blame the director for that....I think if anything it shows how talented TC is that he took what he was given and was able to give a performance most think he’ll be nominated for. 

I didn’ t hate the movie, but I didn’t like it either, I think it told a very realistic story of addiction but it just lacked something...I can’t explain what....

Yes, I thought would feel more for the characters, but I don't know for some reason I didn't. All of the elements are there for a powerful story on addiction, but it just didn't come together for me until near the end, and even then I felt more for the woman at the meeting who had just lost someone than I did for Steve Carell for most of the film. I can see why the director and screenwriter were trying to be unique in doing things and not doing cliche things that you would expect to see in a film about addiction, but I barely got the sense that it was something that tears families apart. 

I thought Timothee Chalamet did a pretty good job; although, I don't think I praise his performance as much as I've seen others do. Perhaps it was because of the flaws of the film, but I felt I've seen other actors do better when portraying addicts. 

As for Steve Carell, I thought he had some really nice moments when he was being more subtle and quiet, but when he gets all explosive and screaming, his voice just reminded me too much of Michael Scott, and I found myself wishing that another actor had played the part of David. 

To me this just felt like a higher budget Lifetime movie. The acting was decent, although I'm not super enamored with Timothee's acting... for the most part he was good, but he had certain tics (?) or mannerisms that just felt... forced or affected? I'm not sure what the word is that I'm looking for. 

However, he was a lot better than Steve Carell, who I agree had some nice moments during the quieter scenes. But whenever he yelled - "This isn't us! This is not who we are!" - I could just see him ~!acting!~ if that makes sense. 

But in any case, what really pushed this into mawkish Lifetime territory to me was the music. Oh god the overly dramatic music choices made me cringe. I wish this movie hadn't been afraid to be more quiet. 

• Love 1