Type keyword(s) to search

Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon: The Original '92-'96 anime

I generally liked all of the series and the movies too, but some really rank higher. I have strong affection for Sailor Moon, R, and S. I also really liked Stars. The one i couldn't really ever get into was SuperS because of its focus on Chibi-Usa.

The Sailor Moon R movie has one of the best endings of any animated film. One thing I consistently loved about the show was it's themes on friendships, self-confidence, team work and love.

(edited)

I really love Classic-S. SuperS I loathe, because i read the manga first and it was so much better:

Chibi-Usa and Helios aren't nearly as creepy. Every single senshi gets development. Hell, Mamoru gets development. Hell, the cats get development.

Stars I have a lot of mixed feelings about, but a lot of the negatives are just the bad habits of the previous seasons reaching their zenith.

The R Movie is IMO damn near perfect. Every character is relevant and gets to have their moments and the climax is pitch-perfect. Moon Revenge FTW.

Edited by SilverShadow
  • Love 1

I really love Classic-S. SuperS I loathe, because i read the manga first and it was so much better. Stars I have a lot of mixed feelings about, but a lot of the negatives are just the bad habits of the previous seasons reaching their zenith.

The R Movie is IMO damn near perfect. Every character is relevant and gets to have their moments and the climax is pitch-perfect. Moon Revenge FTW.

Gosh, I love S. It's so mature and beautiful and dark. I think it's my favourite of the series in terms of the best written as an arc. I was mostly indifferent to Stars for a long time as I hadn't seen all the eps until a few years ago. When I did rewatch it and see it as a whole, it really grew on me. I agree that it was mostly bad carry over from SuperS. I really grew to like the Usagi/Seiya relationship. I like Mamoru and all, but there was something really sweet about Usagi and Seiya.

The R movie is near perfection. At its best, the show gave so much growth and depth to each of its characters and their connections.

• Love 1
(edited)

I can't choose between the first three seasons.

Classic-It's so damn iconic. It's what you think of when you think Sailor Moon. And the finale-what can I say that hasn't been said?

R-The Doom Tree is a nice breather, I like the Four Sisters and Rubeus as antagonists. And Saphir's one of my favorite supporting characters. Crytsal Tokyo as a concept is also really cool.

S-OUTERS! I love them all so much. And Hotaru is my favorite senshi. She and Chibi-Usa's little friendship is so sad and sweet.

I can't quite get behind Seiya and Usagi in the anime. Way too much "Nice Guy" behavior from my perspective. (Even though she's a girl.) I do like her as a character. Seiya comes off much better to me in the manga and the '96-'98 musicals, though. YMMV of course.

Edited by SilverShadow
  • Love 1

I agree with the Sailor Moon R movie love; in my opinion it's the best stand-alone piece in the whole series.  I love the way the story progresses until the climax, the fight scenes were great, and every character has a moment to shine.  Moon Revenge for the win indeed!

My favourite moments of classic Sailor Moon:

The Zoisite/Kunzite/Rainbow Crystals arc which culminate with the Serenity/Endymion reveals.

The Final 2 episodes of the original series.

Sailor Moon R movie.

The Talismans reveal in Sailor Moon S with the return of Pluto and Uranus and Neptune's sacrifices.

The first 6 episodes of Sailor Stars.

I was pretty meh on SuperS (and totally agree the manga version was 100x better) because of the Chibi-Usa super sweet pinkness of it all, but when I rewatched a few years ago I really appreciated the animation, and the climax episodes were fairly good as well.

• Love 1

I usually try not to compare the manga with the anime, because of all of the differences.  Personally I think the anime stands apart as its own thing.

The Sailor Moon R movie is terrific.  That last sequence with a dead Usagi, Mamoru and Fiore, and the revival is amazingly produced.  Just amazing work and it's a shame it can't get the recognition it truly deserves worldwide.

Another thing the Sailor Moon R movie reminds me of is that live-action Christmas special the actresses did around the time of its release.  That thing is great.  Kotono Mitsuishi is always great and I enjoy seeing the behind-the-scenes stuff with her.

SuperS wasn't too hot, although there is a lot to like.  While rewatching I usually end up focusing on the girls' different outfits from episode to episode.  I like that the animators put some effort into the styles and fashion.

• Love 1

I usually try not to compare the manga with the anime, because of all of the differences.  Personally I think the anime stands apart as its own thing.

I actually agree for most of the series. There are bits that are stronger in one or the other but both are worthwhile. With SuperS I can't think of a single thing I prefer in the anime. Its that bad. And its the only arc where the plot is totally confined to the handful of 'important' episodes. You could skip the majority of the season and miss nothing important. The pacing is just terrible. 

• Love 1

Indeed, SuperS was a lot of filler. S was long but benefited from having new senshi Neptune and Uranus to develop and interact with the Inners. SuperS relied mostly on Chibi-Usa. I don't hate her, but I'm not interested in her that much. I also felt they could have used the eps to develop the Inners more, but it felt mostly redundant. The thing I remember most positively from SuperS was how cheesey and fun the villains were. The Witches in S were fun too, but I found those villains were on the whole much more dark so less 'fun'.

I think Stars has some bad pacing too, but it grew on me with its focus character focus on Usagi and the Outers. I love the Outer Senshi.

My favorite season was definitely S, but then again, the Outers are my favorite characters in the series.

SuperS...well, yeah, too much Chibi-usa focus. And I hated that they tied her transformation and attack (well, calling Pegasus) to Sailor Moon's, necessitating her appearing all the damn time.

Stars is pretty good, and it's much more funny than I originally remembered The episode where all the characters hang out at Usagi's house is one my favorites. The pacing does suffer towards the end, during the fight with Galaxia. Sailor Moon stands around and pretty much cries while the fight goes on and on an on...then she realizes it's the 200th and final episode, so she may as well start fighting back. Though the Chibi Chibi reveal just sucked.

The R movie was pretty good, though I also liked the S movie. And the Ami's First Love Special was great too. If only the rest of the Exam Battle side stories had been animated as well.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 1
(edited)

Check out this image featuring the various animators who worked on the original show.

5J9Wssr.jpg

If I had to rank them in terms of who I enjoyed the most to the least, it would be as follows (number 1 starting form the left and continuing to the right till we get to 9) in the following groups:

Animators 2, 3, 6, 7

Animators 4, 5

Animators 1, 8

Animators 9 (his episodes were usually the worst looking).

The gap between the first 2 groups isn't that big. The gap between groups 2 and 3 is a bit bigger, and gap between group 3 and 4...well, rather big lol.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 1
On December 31, 2016 at 7:22 AM, OrigamiNightmare said:

Does anyone else have the soundtrack from the English dub of the 90's? "My Only Love" was/is an awesome song, along with "Rainy Day Man".

There's a link in the DiC/Cloverway dub thread. 

Anyhoo, has anyone seen the overdub Ford Fusion ad with the new Sailor Moon English VAs (Stephanie Sheh and Michelle Ruff). Very exciting for me because I drive a 2006 Ford Fusion. XD 

The Swedish airing could be so infuriating. Every episode that had a song in it (usually during a fight scene), except on one occasion, they simply did not air, skipped the whole episode, with the explanation that "Swedish kids would not understand a Japanese song." The final episode of season one when all the fallen soldiers come together with Moon against Beryl (or Queen Morga as she was called here) they obviously couldn't skip to so they took at the song and replaced it with background piano twinkles.

Edited by joelene