Type keyword(s) to search

Characters Guide Updates

• Start Topic

(edited)

I've noticed that I tend to post things about what I'm doing with the character quide, so this is a place to do that. I'll post here when I've updated the guide after each episode, since you can't see when that's done wihout looking through the names. This is also a thread where you can tell me if anything is confusing or you have new ideas. Or just about anything concerning the quide.

UNSULLIED RULES APPLY. If you haven't read them, and follow them.

Edited by Nymeria

Just wanted to let you know that I've added the "Historical Characters" section to the character guide. (After rewriting it twice, only to realize that the second post was acually posted, silly me). It's a bit later than I said it would be, again, and I'm sorry. I know that there are characters missing too, quite a few I'd imagine. I've only included the ones I knew where to find in episodes, otherwise it would have required a complete rewatch (which I will do eventually, and then I'll keep my ears open).

So, if you have anything to add, tell me. (Via PM of course)

I've also updated the guide after the latest episode.

• Love 1

Ah hell ,first off while trying to click "like" I accidentally clicked report, and backed out of there with a speed worthy of my dog at bath-time.  So if any report went through (I truly don't think it did), please ignore it! 

But thank you, Nymeria, that is so helpful and kind of you! 

Glad you guys like it!!

After Whitestumbler wrote that transcript of the Aemon-Jon scene from season 1, I added those characters to the guide. They're in the historical characters section. I'm also working on adding a few more knights from the Kingsguard-book scene.

• Love 2

I've updated the list after episode 8 now, and yes, it took so long partially because I didn't want to put bracets around Oberyn's name. I've also added another knight to the historical characters section.

(edited)

I'm going to end my HBO subscription on Wednesday. So if there's anything I should change from this season, you have to tell me soon. (I have the DVDs from previous seasons, though). Just wanted to say that.

Oh, and I did update after episode nine, just forgot to write it here. I also added another historical character A Targaryen this time. ETA: I didn't realise the poster who gave me this info wasn't unsullied. But I double checked it with the episode, as I always do. So don't worry. No spoilers here.

Edited by Nymeria
  • Love 5

Thanks so much for keeping this list up for us. I'm getting better at remembering many of the characters - at least ones that get some air time in the season - but there are so many others that I sometimes want to refer to that your list is invaluable.

Next Wednesday would be too soon for me to notice if there is a character I don't remember, but I'm sure I'll survive until next season.

Oh! does this mean you won't be carrying on with the list next season? I sincerely hope not. :-(

• Love 2

I don't know Anothermi. I'm not sure I'll watch next season at all. It's got nothing to do with not liking the show. I love it, I'm just not sure I'll watch it. In any case I'll return here before the season and make sure someone else takes over. But, like I said, I haven't decided yet. If I return I'll just start a new subscription.

Really, really glad you like it!

Haha, thanks Shimpy. That's unlikely though since I live in Sweden ;)

• Love 5

Nymeria, we of course hope you will be with us next year but if not, I wanted to also thank you for your scribing during this season. It is most appreciated. Please accept a mug of mead with my sincere thanks.

• Love 2

So I've ended my subscription now, but apparently I still have access to it until 6 july. So there's still time for updates, if any are needed. I am going away tomorrow though, and will be living without internet for a week or so. But I'll be checking in every now and then throughout the summer, when I'm at home.

• Love 1

Hi everyone!

I'm back with the list for another season. I haven't rewatched (and I won't anytime son) so the status is the same as last year. Unfortunatly I won't get to watch the first episode until a couple of days after the premier so don't expect any updates until later in the week. Just thought I'd let you know!

• Love 4

You are a goddess and I raise a mug of grog to you!  

Thank you so much for helping to keep our character universe in order.  We tell tales of your valor (and good looks, of course) round the Spitball Wall Fire (flameless edition, there was an incident, let us speak no more of it , some people shouldn't take up candle-making after grog consumption, that's all I'm sayin') and in those tales your mentality acuity (and good looks, of course) are legend.  Your loyalty and perseverance (and good looks, of course) are mentioned to rousing cries of "hear! hear!"  Your good humor and unimpeachable character (and good looks, of course) cannot be adequately done justice.  

tl;dr version?  You.are.awesome (and cute) 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 3

The list is up to date, with what I picked up on the first watch at least. From now on I'll update tuesday night at the latest, otherwise I'll tell you.

Questions and corrections are welcome (via PM), as usual.

• Love 4

The list is updated now, two weeks later... But better late than never, right?

The last couple of weeks have been a bit crazy for me, since I unexpectedly moved to a new apartment.  But now I'm back to regular updates, I hope.

• Love 4

You continue to rule, Nymeria and may your new home have a minimum of Walkers, Ghouls, Grints, Spindlyspookers, Misslesidlers (really can't remember what Tyrion said in the first season any longer) and Pudnuckers.  

Also, spiders of any size.  

Thank you, as always and you deserve many thanks.  

thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouwithappreciategratitudetheoddsongsungoffkeybutmeantwellthankyouthankyou*grog* thankyou

• Love 2

As you've probably noticed, I haven't updated in a while. There's been a lot going on, so I haven't had the time. I'm not going to be able to update for the rest of the season either. But I will be back in july, either with updates or a decision not to continue. In the meantime, you are welcome to let someone else update.  :)

(Don't worry, nothing serious has happened).

• Love 4

Ah, life. It has a habit of happening whether we ask for it or not. 

A heart felt thank you again for all the work that you have put into keeping us sorted. I realize it must take quite a bit of your time, and you do a wonderful job of it. I've made a lot of use of the Character guide, so your efforts are not in vain. 

Hope we will see you updating again, but if not, enjoy what you are doing and remember us without regrets. 

• Love 4
Hope we will see you updating again, but if not, enjoy what you are doing and remember us without regrets.

Well put.   

*Grog* 

Thank you so much, Nymeria.  That has to be a bear of a task at times and it has often been so helpful.   Oddly enough, it doesn't feel like we had too many new characters introduced, except for what appeared to be fairly brief parts (like the slaver), so it's all worked out.  

• Love 3

I can't tell you how often I use the Guide, Nymeria.  Top of my head: needed to refer to the Tyrells' homeland: knew the seat was Highgarden, but what the hell was the province called?  Ah: The Reach.   Needed to be clear on Aemon's brother's place in the kingly succession.  Ah: he was father of the Mad King!  And Doran is Doran, and Qyborn, is it?, and wait -- who's that new name on Arya's list? -- and on and on.  

To paraphrase our very own White Stumbler, in his valedictory to departed Mods: And now your Watch is...to be seen.  And utterly appreciated.  

• Love 3

Brothers and Sisters of the Spitball Wall, I am having a confusion:

1. Is Grey Worm still alive and have we seen him since right after his fight with the Harpies? I thought we saw Missandrei nursing him afterward but I cannot remember...we have not seen him since though, have we?

2. When looking through the Unsullied Character Guide, I noticed that next to Rickon's name it said "presumed dead". WTF man?!? Presumed dead by whom? I didnt think he was dead. He was sent to the Umbers and maybe he's there and maybe he isnt but I never thought he was presumed dead, did any of you think that?

Brothers and Sisters of the Spitball Wall, I am having a confusion:

1. Is Grey Worm still alive and have we seen him since right after his fight with the Harpies? I thought we saw Missandrei nursing him afterward but I cannot remember...we have not seen him since though, have we?

2. When looking through the Unsullied Character Guide, I noticed that next to Rickon's name it said "presumed dead". WTF man?!? Presumed dead by whom? I didnt think he was dead. He was sent to the Umbers and maybe he's there and maybe he isnt but I never thought he was presumed dead, did any of you think that?

We did see Grey Worm being nursed by Missandei but haven't seen him since, no - presumably he's not fit for action yet.

Rickon is not presumed dead by us, but is presumed dead by nearly everyone inside the story, so I guess that's what that means. A handful of people know he's still alive (although when I come to count them, more than I thought!) but Westeros in general believe both Rickon and Bran to be dead - hence Sansa's shock the other week when Theon let slip that he didn't kill them after all.

• Love 1

Yeah, the only people who know Rickon is alive have a lot of reason to keep pretending he's dead:  Theon -- out of guilt and also the terror that is Ramsay.  Ramsay, because he'd really like to make sure the Stark boys are dead, for very obvious "Shit.  Heirs of Winterfell at large and of the male variety.  Stab. Kill. Murder. Murder" reasons. Bolton: see prior Ramsay reasoning.  

Sansa:  the exact opposite of all Bolton reasons.  She can't run around telling people, "Dude, Rickon and Bran are totes alive!"  because a) they might not be b) she doesn't know where they are c)  have you met her husband?  See:  all reasons relating to stab-kill-murder-murder-with-a-side-of-peeling.  

The Umbers know, but again: Bolton methods and by the by, when you have the underage heir of anything hanging around the joint, it's best not to advertise it, lest Bolton: You feel me on this yet? comes calling.   So at the Umbers he is likely hidden or known as the blacksmith's kid (Westerosi method for concealing bastard sons) with his strange mother:  Osha, the Wildling woman with the pet wolf.  

So Presumed dead within the story by nearly everyone.  

On Grey Worm, you got me but I guaran-freakin'-tee you this show would not have spared us his heinous death scene if he was, in fact, no more.  

So he's alive by the logic that: We're clearly supposed to like him, yet none of us require therapy and/or Xanax since the last time we saw him. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Plus Bran, what's-her-name and Hodor all know Rickon is alive, but they aren't around this season and even if they were likely wouldn't be in a position to tell anyone anything even if they wanted to, due to a) being under a tree in the frozen wastes of the north, and b) having all the same 'too dangerous to talk' reasons as anyone else, not to mention Bran being presumed dead himself. And Hodor can't really tell anyone anything. I almost counted what's-her-name's brother, whose name I also can't remember, but then I did remember that he's dead, so, not telling anyone anything.

So yeah, more people know the secret than I'd realised, but they're not talking about it. So Westeros in general continues to believe the boys dead.

ETA - Meera! That's her name. Meera.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 1

Okay, now I'm refreshed, thanks shimp! One last pesky clarification, so does Ramsey and Roose know that the boys were not actually killed by Theon? I seem to recollect Theon telling Ramsey this but I cannot be certain...thanks.

Yes, they both do know.  Bolton sent Locke to Castle Black, believing that the Stark boys would head towards their brother, Jon Snow.  

Locke -- the guy who cut off Jaime's hand -- died at Camp Craster's Worst Amusement Park Ever and we haven't heard any of the Boltons refer to the Stark boys other than making Theon talk about killing Bran and Rickon....which Ramsay did, knowing that Theon had actually killed two farm boys and then burned them. 

• Love 1

Hi everyone!

I'm just here to say that I won't be updating the list this season. Someone else is more than welcome to continue the work, i they won't too. But I'm not going to watch this season at all. I hope y'all have fun with season :)

Sorry I didn't tell you earlier, I forgot.

• Love 4

And now your watch is ended. Thank you so much, Nymeria, for the terrific job you did. The Character Guide begun by Maximum Taco has proven to be indispensable to The Unsullied, since we can't be consulting any (digital) ponderous tomes, let alone, the source material. You took on the role at a key time: the Unsullieds' relocation from TWoP, and a point in the story when the asterisks have been flying like meteor showers. Even when we faltered, you kept on. Cheers and heartfelt thanks.

• Love 1

Hi everyone!

I'm just here to say that I won't be updating the list this season. Someone else is more than welcome to continue the work, i they won't too. But I'm not going to watch this season at all. I hope y'all have fun with season :)

Sorry I didn't tell you earlier, I forgot.

Adding my heart-felt thanks for your stellar work, Nymeria. I have made - and expect to continue making - good use of the Character Index. Although your watch has ended, we, the ragged band of Unsullied, will hold you in our thoughts as we plod forward.

• Love 1

I probably should have posted this in here, so...

I've updated the guide as of Season 6 episode 1 - but I have done it purely from memory as I didn't know I'd be doing this when I watched the episode - so if I have missed any new character etc, feel free to PM me.

• Love 1

Oh thank you, Silver Stormm! Zero memory that Oberyn ever referred to Nymeria (the Queen, not Nymmy the Kid). That kind of fleeting mention of an historical character is exactly what leads fingers straying toward a Demon Search Engine...And since she wasn't a Targareyn (dragon rider), that saved Ned from having to suggest that Arya consider another name for her wolf -- or at least, summon her by whistle, not by name -- around King Robert and Prince Joffrey, on the road from Winterfell to King's Landing.

• Love 1

Thank you SilverStormm!  <bows down>

At least my/our understanding of Arya and why she  would have chosen that name for her wolf has been confirmed. She definitely would have chosen the name of a warrior queen. I'd gone back and speed-watched Arya scenes from S01E01. Of course I didn't find anything but I got all nostalgic for that beginning - and for Nymeria ("Nymeria. Gloves."). I so want that wolf to be found.

Thank you, Silver Stormm! I knew I'd heard the name on-screen somehow and had a moment of 'oh, so that's why the fancy name for the wolf', but I couldn't remember the context - and the memory clearly got conflated with Arya talking to Tywin about the Targaryens and their dragons.