Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Imagine (Magic) Dragons

• Start Topic

It's odd that the mentalism tricks seem to be fooling them a lot lately. I wonder if it is mostly just because there are so many different ways to get information from an outside party to the magician on stage that even if they know every single method, they would need to guess the right one according to the rules of the show. I really couldn't stand her accent though. There is something about that dialect of British accent which is both hard to understand and annoying. 

The invisible 3 card Monty had a couple slick moves but his loading was way too obvious which made my wife completely check out from watching the rest of his routine. 

The guy from Japan was all over the place. I wasn't sure but it looked like he might have cut his lip during the routine. Again this one had some bad loads, especially the string at the end. I was quite impressed with the balloon though. I've seen people swallow one before and even pop it once swallowed but never bring it back up after doing a bunch of other stuff. Was a cool surprise.

The crossbow was ok. I knew Allison was never triggering the crossbows so that took a bit away from the trick aspect. However just being that close to some pretty fast moving bolts heightened it a bit.

Wasn't that thrilled with P&T's trick this week. 

I'm an enormous fan of Alyson (Willow Rosenberg is my favorite fictional character ever) and all through the crossbow sequence I was thinking about the mentalist a few episodes back who claimed to have practice in reading her "Micro-expressions" and Aly said "I'm not micro-, I'm macro-".  Her facial expressions in that sequence were, pardon the expression, to die for.  Very macro, indeed.

This episode's mentalist was okay, but that's an easy trick to pull off.  I assume somebody in the audience was just sending little zaps in morse code to a receiver on her body (bottom of the shoe, belt buckle…was she wearing any bracelets?)  "B-O-A-T" isn't hard to spell, after all.

Card guy really did all that with rubber bands?  Very impressive.

And any time you bring Dan Reynolds on stage and don't have to sit through one of his awful car-commercial jingles (I hate Imagine Dragons), I count that as a win.  But JMO.

• Love 1

I very dislike Eater acts.

I don't understand the point of someone doing a bit whose primary suspense is danger on this show when it's known they're not allowed to do actual danger as part of the rules. I get that in some cases it might still be interesting from a trying-to-figure-it-out standpoint, but not this one. All the possible things crossbow guy could've done mean no suspense.

• Love 2

I'm surprised P&T didn't say "thumper" on the mentalist. Certainly they haven't objected to that guess in previous seasons.

I don't understand the point of someone doing a bit whose primary suspense is danger on this show when it's known they're not allowed to do actual danger as part of the rules. I get that in some cases it might still be interesting from a trying-to-figure-it-out standpoint, but not this one. All the possible things crossbow guy could've done mean no suspense.

That's the problem for me as well. Knowing it's safe means there's nothing to the trick. I guess it was showy though for people who might not know that.

I rather liked the P&T trick. Not an astounding trick, but what better way to use a stooge than to swap roles and play the stooge yourself?