Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Here Comes The Magic

• Start Topic

I'm pretty sure a totally different dude did those Rubik's cube tricks, and several more, on AGT a couple years ago. I'm probably being overly critical but the guy kept stressing how he wanted to do something totally new with the cube so I was kind of unimpressed from the get-go because I felt like I'd seen it before, and on a show with much wider distribution, and not at all recently. Although he did keep saying "we" so maybe he works with that other dude. Still it was sort of anticlimactic.

Steven Brundage was on Fool Us season 2 and also on AGT doing Rubik's Cube magic. Not quite the same but similar enough that I thought of him as well.

42799 is the number from Frank Sinatra's mug shot.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Amarsir said:

42799 is the number from Frank Sinatra's mug shot.

A nice bit of trivia to know.  I wonder what Frank would have thought about it.

I thought that segment with the "prisoner box" was one of the more interesting of the Penn and Teller tricks that they've shown so far.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, rmontro said:

I thought that segment with the "prisoner box" was one of the more interesting of the Penn and Teller tricks that they've shown so far.

I would have liked it better had the hand looked remotely like Penn's.

• Love 7
54 minutes ago, Amarsir said:

I would have liked it better had the hand looked remotely like Penn's.

Yeah I actually thought that was one of their lower tier illusions. So many issues with it. The voice over cutting to a recording once in the box. The metal plate on the floor after Penn was already in the box. The hand. The very close camera angle that conveniently blocked Teller's entrance into the box. (It was when the guy stretched out the encompassing fabric and then proceeded to fold it moving towards the box.) The scarf part is fine but the whole thing was a bit too cutesy. 

I liked the other tricks throughout the episode. The stacking blocks at first seemed very obvious until he revealed the levitation. I have an idea of how it works but couldn't be positive.

The quick solve cube always gets me. Even stepping through frame by frame the simultaneous spins are so dang fast that sides just instantly change color. 

The rope guy, at first I couldn't believe he was on. The first couple through the body had some major flashes. It wasn't until he did the bits in the body where I started to enjoy his act for what it was. 

The card trick grab didn't seem to work 100% as he grabbed a group of cards which appeared to be by accident. I would like to see that one done cleanly.

• Love 2