Type keyword(s) to search

My Big Fat Summer (TLC) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Not watching, but I saw the intro and the woman jumping into the pool - into a tube that looks like a donut - was a bit too much.

I got to the part about the couple "rowing" a lot and turned it off.

• Love 1

I am glad for this thread and am watching the show. I like it so far. I feared that it was going to be another fat people as entertainment or freaks. Probably a big step up for TLC in that this a British produced show.

13 minutes ago, Susanlynn9 said:

If this resort was made for fat people, why is everyone afraid to get into swim suits? Doesn't make sense. There shouldn't be anyone there who isn't on the fluffy side.

Susanlynn9 I can actually identify with their feelings. When one has been overweight, big, whatever for a long time, you just automatically go to that place where you think you just  don't belong. 

10 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Do you have to tell them how much you weigh when you book your reservation? What happens if you show up and are thin?

That's a great question 3girlsforus. I don't know. Also, it's such a lovely resort, I wonder if one would be welcomed back as a guest of they lost weight?

• Love 2

Yay! 

I'd hate to go to that resort because they're all such sad sacks. I liked the group therapy, but man, some of these people know how to suck the life out of everything. 

• Love 2

I was 318 lbs and had WLS back in 2010. I definitely would have been self-conscious in a "normal" setting, but in a setting made for the overweight, I would have been thrilled to be able to relax. I guess it's different for everyone.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, DC Gal in VA said:

I really like the resort counselor; she's so encouraging and understanding without being patronizing. BTW, missed where this resort is located. It's so gorgeous.

One of the islands in the Bahamas

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

I really like the resort counselor; she's so encouraging and understanding without being patronizing. BTW, missed where this resort is located. It's so gorgeous.

It's Eleuthera.  That water!

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Ivylady said:

Yay! 

I'd hate to go to that resort because they're all such sad sacks. I liked the group therapy, but man, some of these people know how to suck the life out of everything. 

Agree.  Unless I missed the premise, wasn't the whole purpose these folks going to this "resort'  was because there would be no fat shaming?  I checked out right after the swimming pigs. 

@Susanlynn9 don't understand why they needed the commentary either.  I also found it amusing (but I grew up with British parents and cousins that lived in Scotland) that they felt it necessary to subtitle what some of them were saying.   Meh, like I said I was underwhelmed by the entire production - is this going to be a one time TLC freak show or will there be more episodes?  Fingers crossed that it will be one and done!

Thanks @PrincessPurrsALot for setting up this forum, too bad the show disappointed....

Whew, so glad that to see that they're having fun in their night out.

Uh oh, they going to a regular, public beach? Sorry, but I just might be the one to chicken out since I thought that the whole point is to be comfortable in a bathing suit. Let's face it, some people enjoy being hateful and mean to large people.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Susanlynn9 said:

If Dane wants to take control of his weight, he's on the wrong show.

I wonder how he'd get to Dr. Now from the island.  I suppose he could book a small yacht (stocked with treats and fast food) or went by private jet to Houston where he could crankily yell at the pilot to land a couple of times in order for him to pick up snacks.

• Love 1

I wasn't sure what to think when this show started but I left it on. Overall, I'm in favor. I've gained weight as I've aged and honestly I am now much too inhibited to get into a swimsuit. I'm not 300 pounds or anything but def not the slender-to-normal size I used to be. I totally get where so many of the guests were coming from and I'm glad they were able to get out of their much too limited comfort zones and enjoy the beach and the water. And the company of others.

And I'm with those who liked the attitudes of counselor and the guy who ran the resort. Positive without a lot of "fat is beautiful" propaganda. More like, "this is who you are, you are good, and you can swim and frolic on the beach and enjoy the sun, just as and where you are." 

• Love 4
Just now, Jeeves said:

I wasn't sure what to think when this show started but I left it on. Overall, I'm in favor. I've gained weight as I've aged and honestly I am now much too inhibited to get into a swimsuit. I'm not 300 pounds or anything but def not the slender-to-normal size I used to be. I totally get where so many of the guests were coming from and I'm glad they were able to get out of their much too limited comfort zones and enjoy the beach and the water. And the company of others.

And I'm with those who liked the attitudes of counselor and the guy who ran the resort. Positive without a lot of "fat is beautiful" propaganda. More like, "this is who you are, you are good, and you can swim and frolic on the beach and enjoy the sun, just as and where you are." 

Yes, yes well said Jeeves, my thoughts exactly.

• Love 2

Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't some iteration of this show already air like years ago? I swear I remember seeing that resort featured on another TLC show if only because I recall thinking that it was great that non-traditionally sized persons could have their own vacation space where they weren't judged so harshly for not looking like a castmember of Baywatch in their bathing suits. 

I only watched the first ten minutes because I was too Doug'd out. 

7 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I’m not really overweight any more but still won’t be seen in a swimsuit outside my own back garden.  I will not even wear shorts away from home because I have such horrible varicose veins on both legs.  

Haven’t watched this yet as I was falling aleep after poor Doug’s pity party but look forward to it today.  

The need for subtitles always makes me laugh, I’ve spent so many years living in Europe that I understand most accents anyway.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Giant Misfit said:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't some iteration of this show already air like years ago? I swear I remember seeing that resort featured on another TLC show if only because I recall thinking that it was great that non-traditionally sized persons could have their own vacation space where they weren't judged so harshly for not looking like a castmember of Baywatch in their bathing suits. 

I found an article about the resort from Oct 2017 that said the resort was two years old then so maybe that was a different place. 

I love the idea that is was a vacation and also helped them work on their confidence and self-esteem. Personally I think the worse you feel about yourself the harder it is to make positive changes - whether it’s losing weight or something else. 

Of course the cynical side of me wonders how long it will be under the place is ruined by obnoxious people who aren’t insecure about their obesity and just come for the private resort experience (it only has 24 people at a time) and spend the whole week as obnoxious gluttons. 

1 hour ago, Giant Misfit said:

I think I saw it on British television a year or two ago. TLC probably did with this the same thing they did with the British show "The Hoarder Next Door", which got a name change - to the much more sensational "Hoarding: Behind Closed Doors" - and an American voice-over (perhaps by the same woman who did last night's show). I just wish I could remember the name of the British version. Google is no help at all.

2 hours ago, Miracle Maxie said:

I think I saw it on British television a year or two ago. TLC probably did with this the same thing they did with the British show "The Hoarder Next Door", which got a name change - to the much more sensational "Hoarding: Behind Closed Doors" - and an American voice-over (perhaps by the same woman who did last night's show). I just wish I could remember the name of the British version. Google is no help at all.

Yup! You might be right about that. I was using a VPN so I could watch "The Hoarder Next Door" a few years ago so maybe I saw it back then? Thanks for checking the Googles!