Type keyword(s) to search

Ross and Rachel

Buzz11

can someone point out a scene or episode where it is explained why Ross doesn’t ask Rachel out after his divorce with Emily? We see Rachel work up the nerve to tell him she still loves him before Ross and Emily decide to officially break it off, and when she tells him he doesn’t say he doesn’t feel the same way but rather has to fulfill his commitment to Emily just cause they are married... THEN, possilbly the very next episode he decides that he can’t quit seeing Rachel for Emily’s sake so they officially end it; then nothing. He kinda put Rachel on hold but then never went back to her. Is there any thing that fills in that gap, why wouldn’t you go talk to the girl who’s name you said, who sad she loves you still, who you refused to quit seeing, who u admired since high school? It seemed like a missed opportinity.

the other thing: 

remeber the the one where they watch the prom video and Ross was going to take Rachel since Chip wasn’t showing up then chip does show up and Ross is disappointed ted and 5hey all see this on the home movie... then Rachel gets up and kissed him, and phoebe says, “see he’s her lobster” this was obviously after the xerox girl on a break incident and also after emily... I’m gonna need to go back to Netflix and do my homework but I can’t remember what happens after she hugs him from seeing the video- did they get back together from that?

(edited)

Ross didn’t ask Rachel out after he and Emily finally call it quits because he’s bummed about being divorced for the second time and has to find a new apartment. Rachel is dating Danny. So they just sort of -don’t. Then they get married in Vegas.

The other thing: Ross and Rachel started dating after TOW The Prom Video (2x14). TOW Ross and Rachel Take a Break is 3x15 and Emily’s first episode is TOW Joey’s Dirty Day (4x14)

Edited by chitowngirl
25 minutes ago, Buzz11 said:

can someone point out a scene or episode where it is explained why Ross doesn’t ask Rachel out after his divorce with Emily? We see Rachel work up the nerve to tell him she still loves him before Ross and Emily decide to officially break it off, and when she tells him he doesn’t say he doesn’t feel the same way but rather has to fulfill his commitment to Emily just cause they are married... THEN, possilbly the very next episode he decides that he can’t quit seeing Rachel for Emily’s sake so they officially end it; then nothing. He kinda put Rachel on hold but then never went back to her. Is there any thing that fills in that gap, why wouldn’t you go talk to the girl who’s name you said, who sad she loves you still, who you refused to quit seeing, who u admired since high school? It seemed like a missed opportinity.

the other thing: 

remeber the the one where they watch the prom video and Ross was going to take Rachel since Chip wasn’t showing up then chip does show up and Ross is disappointed ted and 5hey all see this on the home movie... then Rachel gets up and kissed him, and phoebe says, “see he’s her lobster” this was obviously after the xerox girl on a break incident and also after emily... I’m gonna need to go back to Netflix and do my homework but I can’t remember what happens after she hugs him from seeing the video- did they get back together from that?

10 hours ago, Buzz11 said:

the other thing: 

I was wondering that myself when I watched those episodes . You'd think after he said Rachel's name at the wedding that that meant he was still in love with her , mixed with her telling him she still loves him  and him and Emily divorcing shortly after . But I guess his feelings weren't really there for her at that point . I always felt like since he met Emily and any point in the series after that , Ross didn't really have romantic feelings for Rachel anymore . You'd think for a shows leading  couple , the writers would throw in some flirty episodes , but really there were none . Even after they had a baby together , Ross said he used to see rachel as the one he wants to wake up next to and have kids with , but not anymore . They were just a poorly written couple but I think they were mainly written like that because of how Monica and chandlers relationship took off and they couldn't have 2 happy couples 

34 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I was wondering that myself when I watched those episodes . You'd think after he said Rachel's name at the wedding that that meant he was still in love with her , mixed with her telling him she still loves him  and him and Emily divorcing shortly after . But I guess his feelings weren't really there for her at that point . I always felt like since he met Emily and any point in the series after that , Ross didn't really have romantic feelings for Rachel anymore . You'd think for a shows leading  couple , the writers would throw in some flirty episodes , but really there were none . Even after they had a baby together , Ross said he used to see rachel as the one he wants to wake up next to and have kids with , but not anymore . They were just a poorly written couple but I think they were mainly written like that because of how Monica and chandlers relationship took off and they couldn't have 2 happy couples 

The writers were quite happy letting Ross and Rachel seem to have completely moved on, only to then suddenly give them the feelings whenever it suited.

So you could have that wedding disaster, and then Rachel trying to reignite things... only for it all to be laughed off and ignored for the rest of the season. You could have them make fun of each other's dating mishaps with not an ounce of jealousy, only to then be really pissy over some other person they were dating. And you could have either one of them make definitive statements like the Ross quote you mention, only to then go back on it when there was a need for some romantic tension.

Now, all of this could be passed off as the sort of messiness that comes with friends who used to date, but it doesn't really wash. After six years, either you're still in love with someone or you're over them. You don't switch feelings on and off as necessary.

I really despised that "lobster" crap, and it's one of the bitterest memories I have of the last season of the show. Why were the other four so invested in Ross and Rachel being together, when they'd been such a miserable chore the first time around, and threatened to break up the group on more than one occasion? It was a bad case of characters voicing what the audience was supposed to feel.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 6/24/2018 at 9:14 AM, Danny Franks said:

The writers were quite happy letting Ross and Rachel seem to have completely moved on, only to then suddenly give them the feelings whenever it suited.

So you could have that wedding disaster, and then Rachel trying to reignite things... only for it all to be laughed off and ignored for the rest of the season. You could have them make fun of each other's dating mishaps with not an ounce of jealousy, only to then be really pissy over some other person they were dating. And you could have either one of them make definitive statements like the Ross quote you mention, only to then go back on it when there was a need for some romantic tension.

Now, all of this could be passed off as the sort of messiness that comes with friends who used to date, but it doesn't really wash. After six years, either you're still in love with someone or you're over them. You don't switch feelings on and off as necessary.

I really despised that "lobster" crap, and it's one of the bitterest memories I have of the last season of the show. Why were the other four so invested in Ross and Rachel being together, when they'd been such a miserable chore the first time around, and threatened to break up the group on more than one occasion? It was a bad case of characters voicing what the audience was supposed to feel.

I absolutely love it when Monica is trying to follow Chandler to the wine cellar at Ross and Emily's sorta reception and she could not be bothered by Rachel about what she wanted with Ross. Of course Monica eventually broke down momentarily to be a good `friend` but it was nice to see one of the other cast members finally not get all caught up in them and there fickleness

pic.png

Edited by Buzz11
  • Love 4
(edited)

I really wanted them together when I was a teenager.

Now? I look at them and just let out an exhausted sigh. There is NO WAY they should have ended up together. They had some really nice friendship moments later on, but that's as much as they should have been at the end of the day: friendly exes. Nothing more. 

OTOH, maybe they deserved each other, given how many other people flew under the bus in record time in the name of their "love" (GAG). Why set them free and harm everyone else? 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, UYI said:

I really wanted them together when I was a teenager.

Now? I look at them and just let out an exhausted sigh. There is NO WAY they should have ended up together. They had some really friendship moments later on, but that's as much as they should have been at the end of the day: friendly exes. Nothing more. 

OTOH, maybe they deserved each other, given how many other people flew under the bus in the name of their "love" (GAG). 

It just didn't make sense that they did end up together .. they dated for a year 7 years ago .. they both had so many other relationships with no hint of being jealous or caring that the other one is dating. They had a one night stand and had a baby but even then , they realized they weren't in love so they didn't get back together They had a nice friendship .. but then just bebsuse the show was ending , they had to get back together so when they finally did , it made no sense 

• Love 1

Rachel and Joey really made so much more sense. They had a lot in common, similar personality traits that made them compatible, they'd been living together for years, even after she had the baby. But nope, the final season needing Joey to be single and available for his spinoff meant that they had to pull the rug out from under all the setup they'd laid down for Rachel/Joey and... sigh, put Rachel back with Ross.

I also liked Ross and Rachel during the original run but the 8000th time through the episodes via reruns? I hate them so much. More Ross than Rachel, but they are just so toxic.

• Love 5

And if Ross really still loved rachel , he would have wanted her back after the divorce settled down because rachel had told him she was still in love with him  right after Emily left . But he didn't want her at that point and never brought them up again . 

• Love 1

I thought Ross was at his best when he dated Julie.  Second best was Emily.  I can’t even think of one of Rachel’s relationships that I thought was good for either party.

• Love 1

Rachel had no chemistry with any of the guys but I think that was due to the writing mostly . She was given tag and joshuAAA who were treated mainly as joke relationships with no intention of it leading anywhere and Bruce Willis who survived an episode or 2 at most . Joey had potential when he liked her because he was at his peak maturity but when she liked him , that fizzled really quickly . And Ross and Rachel together were just a nightmare . I agree with the above poster that said he was better and more fun with Emily and Julie ( before they had Ross marry Emily and somehow made us dislike her even though Ross called her his ex girlfriends name as they were saying I do  ) . I never understood how everyone thought Emily was being so unreasonable about him still being friends with Rachel after what Ross put her through at the wedding 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I never understood how everyone thought Emily was being so unreasonable about him still being friends with Rachel after what Ross put her through at the wedding 

I thought Emily was unreasonable because Rachel lived with his sister. She wasn’t just asking that he not be friends with Rachel but to not see her at all, which essentially would cut him off from his sister as well. Not wanting him to hang out with Rachel alone was reasonable but not allowing him to be around his friends as a group was not.

Plus, she actually said that she’d feel better once she came to New York where she could have her eye on Ross. It was very Ross on a Leash, which was disconcerting. You either trust him or you don’t and she clearly didn’t. I really wonder why she even went through with the wedding when that name thing happened. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

I thought Emily was unreasonable because Rachel lived with his sister. She wasn’t just asking that he not be friends with Rachel but to not see her at all, which essentially would cut him off from his sister as well. Not wanting him to hang out with Rachel alone was reasonable but not allowing him to be around his friends as a group was not.

Plus, she actually said that she’d feel better once she came to New York where she could have her eye on Ross. It was very Ross on a Leash, which was disconcerting. You either trust him or you don’t and she clearly didn’t. I really wonder why she even went through with the wedding when that name thing happened. 

Yeah I agree with that . She was being unreasonable thinking he wouldn't see rachel when seeing the group but I do think if she had asked him not to stay friends with her or see her individually , that wouldn't be unreasonable. I get that that wasn't going to happen for the shows sake  but in real life , I think it's realistic . 

But yea , why marry him in the first place is the real question 

• Love 3
On 7/17/2018 at 9:28 AM, Jaclyn88 said:

And if Ross really still loved rachel , he would have wanted her back after the divorce settled down because rachel had told him she was still in love with him  right after Emily left . But he didn't want her at that point and never brought them up again . 

Ross and Rachel did not get together because their timing was off and the show knew they were their bread and butter, and they would tease them when they felt like it.

Emotionally, Ross was not going to get involved with Rachel after his divorce blew up. As time went by,  Rachel was involved with someone else, so there was no point to bringing it up.

They would hook up in Vegas and get married. They would become territorial at times when they were involved with other people. They would make out when Monica and Chandler got engaged. They would sleep to together and have Emma together. They would pretend that they were engaged in front of his extended family and friends. He would be her rock when her father has heart attack and tell him that they will never be off the table.

They were the show's angsty couple after Season 2 Breakup and the show chose to use that occasionally but put them and their fans on hold.