Type keyword(s) to search

Paige Dineen

I'm going to laugh like a hyena, I bet, at whatever thin excuse the show cooks up to keep Kat McPhee's waitress character around the super-secret team of geniuses solving crimes n' foiling terrorists.

• Love 4

Let me try to help:

There's the almost-plausible:  one or more of the geniuses is OCD about food (such as Sheldon Cooper on the Big Bang Theory or surprising numbers of people in real life).  This would be even better if the diner is the only place in the area that does gluten-free or has a signature cassarole or something.  (I know food allergies are real; sometimes OCD is a survival strategy.)

Sort-of-plausible:  as above, but one of the team is really attracted to the waitress--like the way Leonard and Howard both had long-term relationships with former/current Cheesecake Factory waitresses.  Partial credit if they make the comparison, like Psych and The Mentalist did.  Bonus points if one of them wonders if she's a plant, like the dry cleaning clerk on Who Wants to Be a Superhero, and they reference that episode. More plausible if you combine it with food OCD or allergies.

Less plausible in real life, but more likely for the show:  It's the only/nearest 24-hour diner, because they're in an alternate pocket universe between the Waffle House/IHop divide.   Also she's trying to make it as an actress/singer/model, and she's almost talented enough to pull that off. Maybe she had a manager who ripped her off just before her Big Break, and also had a tragic secret that ties to the plot in surprising ways if you've never seen a television show before.

I give it seven or eight episodes before they find an excuse for her to sing in front of other people--probably the diner tries karaoke.  I *like* her singing; I'm hopeful.

• Love 1
(edited)

Egad.  Those closeups of her head look like someone hit her in the face with a shovel--all weird and puffy.  Some super-incompetent makeup artist I guess, since in the photos of her earlier that same day her face looks fine.

Edited by Kromm

I'm going to laugh like a hyena, I bet, at whatever thin excuse the show cooks up to keep Kat McPhee's waitress character around the super-secret team of geniuses solving crimes n' foiling terrorists.

Ha. If this was more of an action show, I suspect that within a few episodes Paige turns out to be some super-spy in Witness Protection.

Well, they solved the problem of how they're going to keep going back to the diner.  I liked how they didn't make her character visibly smart OR stupid, and gave her a plausible reason to be a better-than-average Nerd Whisperer (autistic son, possibly Asperger's ex).  Also, she can connect a laptop while standing up in a car going 200 MPH, so that might come up again.

• Love 2

While I like that Paige isn't resentful of having a super-smart kid or seemingly dumb about things in general, I wish that Paige would quit seeming to confab with Walter about group things. There was/ has been a running sub-plot of her being "boxed out" by the team "proper", yet there seems to be whispery two-person scenes  where Paige and Walter discuss team things.

Granted, there have been times/scenes of Paige directly asking for boundaries to be respected by individual folks, and the P/W scenes tend to be about how Walter could try something other than his usual abrupt, of-course-I'm-right self. Also, they do look nice together, imo. It just feels like neither side has stopped going to Walter to talk about the other. Especially with Walter and the ex not telling Paige the truth of the ex's baseball intentions. Actual grown-ass folks wouldn't get into the middle of that ish and told the ex to leave the team/Walter out of the drama.