Type keyword(s) to search

My Hero Academia - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Is anybody here going to New York Comic Con? I just found this on the panel schedule for Friday, October 4:

Friday, October 41:30 pm- 2:30 pm
Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden

Join Funimation as they discuss the hit anime series, My Hero Academia, with the English voice actors Justin Briner (Deku), Ricco Fajardo (Mirio), Kellen Goff (Overhaul), Justin Cook (Kirishima), and Colleen Clinkenbeard (ADR Director/Yaoyorozu).

Prepare to go Plus Ultra! with a special Season 4 screening, a Q&A with guests, giveaways and more.

A portion of the seats at The Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden will be filled via the pre-show lottery. For more details visit: NYCC19.com/lottery.

I don't think I can make this. It's away from the Javits Center . . . four blocks, but it's a grind getting there.

I finished off my sketchbook. Here are a few of the final sketches I got last Saturday.

Aizawa.JPG.11ef815df9b978376618dd49a020f059.JPG

Kirishima.thumb.JPG.df158491b09a04bd19f46da4a9e0774d.JPG

Edited by Lantern7

I finally catch up on this show as it’s run is (temporarily) over?  Bummer. 

The Deku / Bakugo fight was one of my favorite episodes yet.  I have a kid who’s working on expressing emotions differently, and seeing Bakugo’s inability to express himself without fighting, and Midoria realizing that and going with it to help his friend, was really powerful.  Nicely done, writers.  

Checking to see if anyone else saw the fourth season opener. I'm thinking a lot of people are pissed that the latest Toonami "event" pushed things back about five minutes.

The episode is a little light . . . freelance writer gets access to Class 1-A, determines that Midoriya has been tabbed as All Might's successor, but he doesn't spill the beans to his editor. His Quirk? He can grow camera lenses from any part of his body. Also, he can print out photos from his chest. Yep.

Edited by Lantern7

I was a little grouchy about the Forge event, but I have my stuff set to tape slightly long so it didn’t clip anything important.

Bubble Girl definitely keeping it slightly awkward to watch this show with the kids.  Maybe she’ll give Mineta a run for his money. 

Bumping up. I think the Overhaul arc is officially over, as Deku manages to save Eri. Of course, there's a lot of collateral damage, including Sir Nighteye getting punctured and Togata's Quirk getting wiped out, killing the hero's career before it starts.

Lots of fun stuff, including oddly sweet moments with Toga and Twice. Gotta love how they didn't want to work with the Yazuka, and they drove one of their bigger guns into a rage by taunting him.

ETA: I'm still getting sketches. Here's Endeavor, Toga and Stain.

Edited by Lantern7

Bumping up again. I'm just seeing if anyone else is watching. Judging by the credits, we're approaching a school festival and a Jiro plot (she's the one with the earbuds coming out of her earlobes). First, though, we get the washouts from the License Exam (including Todoroki and Bakugo) dealing with headstrong kids, and Aoyama revealing to Midoriya that he also has a Quirk incompatible with his body . . . . but since Aoyama is the effete French boy, his initial efforts basically freak Midoriya the hell out. Leaving behind a message spelled out in cheese? You know a situation is messed up when the thought of Aoyama being a serial killer is the best case scenario.

“Eri? Honey, we’re going to introduce you to concept of fun, since Uncle Overhaul was the worst guardian ever. We’re going to the School Festival! What can possibly go wrong?” Cut to Gentle Criminal burning himself with tea. Compared to guys like Stain, he would be a “best case” complication.

Bakugo is still Angry Bomb Boy, but I reckon he’s being more reasonable . . . even if he wants the 1A band to murder the audience.

On 4/5/2020 at 9:52 PM, lathspel said:

Aoyama the disco ball: “I’ve been preparing for this moment my whole life!”

Is it wrong that I think it would be an appropriate destiny for him?

ETA Best Imagine Spot: Bakugo and Todoroki in full Saturday Night Fever mode. That was beautiful.

Edited by Lantern7

I haven't watched the latest episode yet. Just wanted to inform anyone that's interested that Cartoon Network has been airing episodes at 5:30 a.m., starting with the first one on Tuesday morning. Apparently, they're running Tuesdays-Saturdays.

(edited)

Another heads-up: the episode that ran next week will be rerun tomorrow night. Here's the Facebook post where I learned about it.

Has anyone else been keeping up with the show? The latest episodes were basically Deku in a physical and mental war of ideologies against Gentile Criminal and La Brava. Turns out Gentle's motivations are beyond being a pain in the ass. His origin was sad, especially when contrasted to that of La Brava.

Edited by Lantern7

Good news: Festival arc is over! Bad news: We're going into repeats on Toonami! It's a production thing . . . I think that Funimation is having problems dubbing the episodes into English since they can't meet in one place anymore. There are only two more episodes left.

Festival was a success, Jiro and the rest of 1A rocked, Eri smiled a lot, and Deku got to beat the snot out of Gentle Criminal. Also, La Brava. I don't think she had an "introduction" via Present Mic. "NAME! La Brava! QUIRK! Some Ol' Bullshit! Apparently, if she loves someone hard enough, she can power that person up! Are you kidding me?!?" Of course, those two were properly fleshed out and sympathetic. When you have guys like Stain, All-For-One and Overhaul, seeing a guy doing the MHA/BnHA version of Jackass is welcome.

While we're waiting for the last few episodes to get dubbed, here are characters from The Boondocks costumed as the heroes and villains of BnHA/MHA:

Stinkmeaner as All-For-One makes so much sense. "I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaccckkk!!! And this time, I'm stealing yo Quirks!!"

Nice job, MHA, for some outstanding animation plus making me actually care about Endeavor.

I’m not sure how I feel about his wife not hating him though.  It feels manipulative towards the viewer somehow. 

"Thanks to top-ranked hero Endeavor, injuries were at a minimum. However, eighty people died of dehydration watching Hawks in action. It has been verified that all eighty died with smiles on their faces and ruined underwear."

Endeavor's "beard" is mainly fire? Interesting. Would not have guessed.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 6/28/2020 at 5:18 PM, lathspel said:

Nice job, MHA, for some outstanding animation plus making me actually care about Endeavor.

I’m not sure how I feel about his wife not hating him though.  It feels manipulative towards the viewer somehow. 

That, for better or for worse seems to be a very Japanese attitude towards the entire situation. There's more I could say on that, but that would require the discussion of an arc that has yet to be adapted in the anime, and I do not wish to spoil.

• Love 1

So I finally got around to watching this season.  I initially stopped halfway through the Overhaul arc (not a fan of kids in danger stories) and I'm still not a fan of that arc.  But I did love Gentle Criminal and the whole Koyoka + Bakugo band with Yuga as the disco ball.  Also I ship Deku and Mei Hatsume hard so it was nice to see her as well.  I also liked that UA does have an event to show off the other Departments beside hero course.  

I finally got around to watching the fifth season premiere. Class 1A looks impressive in an emergency drill with UA's Big 3 guesting as villains. Well, just two of them. Mirio is content to play a way-too-cheerful drowning victim. Also, we get reminded of names and Quirks. I think my favorite would be Ojiro. Present Mic: "Quirk! Tail." It's just pronounced like Mic is inferring, "Yeah, he's got a tail. Not a big deal. He does okay with it." Or maybe that's just in the English dub.

If you're interested, here's the Death Battle with Todoroki and Zuko:

Anyone else keeping up with the 1A/1B fights? Latest one was funny . . . 1A winds up beating 1B before the commercial break. And they did it with Bakugo leading the charge AND actually playing well with his teammates. As much as I want Monoma to get wrecked in the final match, I had to share in his confusion. Bakugo being a team player would be the LAST thing you'd expect.

Given that Midoriya is the protagonist, I'm thinking the final fight goes three episodes, minimum.

I'm almost finished with the manga that's been published in English. Have managed to largely avoid spoilers after that but not all. The anime chose to jump over a critical storyline while still having to show the results from it, and then come back to it as a gigantic flashback. I'm confused why they mixed things up like this. But first they take a detour to a flashback that was actually in Vigilantes and not the main series. That one actually makes excellent sense because it explains who the character is and why it's so heartbreaking,

I finally got around to watching most of this season.  I loved the joint training arc.  That's actually what I want to see more of in the series.  The Endeavor arc was also interesting. Having Endeavor see how much of a terrible person he's been and actually trying to change his ways makes for an interesting story.  Also love Hawks and Zeno Robinson has done a great job with him.  

That said, I dropped the series.  I honestly do not care for the villians in this series, especially Shigaraki.  I find villains to be interesting when they actually have sympathetic motives.  Shigaraki is not.  He's just evil so I couldn't care less about how sad his backstory is.  Funny enough Re-Destro actually would have made an interesting foil for the heroes.  I looked ahead and it looked like the series is going a direction I'm just not interested in so I'm out.  

On 1/16/2023 at 6:17 PM, Lantern7 said:

Anyone watching the current season on Toonami?

Been trying to catch up on newer episodes.  Most of the time, I catch the movies which have been airing on local cable channels.  Only two are dubbed, one is subtitled but still entertaining.