Type keyword(s) to search

The Block - General Discussion

Kromm
  • Start Topic

It's both the best of Aussie reality TV and the worst at the same time!  Great setup for a show, but often so manipulative.

Talk about Scotty, The Keithanator, that annoying Shelley, and the various couples and the work they do here!

Yay! 

I am SO torn about this show. I loathe their obvious manipulation and faux storylines, but I like the competiton itself. I think Steve and Chantalle got the raw end of the stick as they have been represented very poorly in this show, and it just seems unfair. 

Yay! 

I am SO torn about this show. I loathe their obvious manipulation and faux storylines, but I like the competiton itself. I think Steve and Chantalle got the raw end of the stick as they have been represented very poorly in this show, and it just seems unfair. 

Although some might argue they deserve it, I felt the Twins got run down a lot too, unfairly at times I mean.  Sure they fight like wildcats, but the show inserted all kinds of context trying to make them foolish and mean, when the actual other contestants (with one notable exception last season) seemed to like them just fine.

Steve and Chantelle? Might want to sue the show.  They were made into a total laughingstock.  Sure they made mistakes and lost tons of stuff.  But a lot of that was due to the inequity of casting.  In a season with four genuine newbies they would have been fairly normal, and not the whipping boy and girl to help illustrate "Every dumb thing" someone can do.

(edited)

Hello! I had to add an Oz to my name from TWOP to get here. 

I agree with you both about Chantelle & Steve. Especially Steve. They were made into the laughing stock, through editing and manipulation of footage. It was obvious in week 3 when they were doing the pool area and the show kept trying to insinuate that Steve hadn't ordered furniture he was tasked with, and then the furniture arrived and he said he'd ordered it a week ago. Then they tried to say he'd only ordered a chair or two, when in fact they showed the footage of the contestants placing chairs & a outdoor setting with cushions etc, that had obviously all come from the same store. 

This season the twins were much more willing to get on with the other teams and have fun, and the new teams were willing to give them a chance to see what they were like, rather than rely on last years show which is a huge difference. I think they learned that it would be a more fun experience if they didn't look at it as a pure competition just to win money & start a career, which is how they seemed to approach last year. I would be very surprised if any other team from Sky High, besides Matt & Kim, spoke to them at all outside of the show. 

All the teams have said things, all have acted out - being exhausted & tired will do that. And no doubt all the teams have been edited and footage manipulated to show more drama than what happened. It's reality tv.

Edited by OzTvJunkie

True. It's just so contrived. The boys are there, desperate to land a different TV gig it seems. The girls are there to further proof how awesome they are and to pump up their business. Steve and Chantelle are screwed whatever they do, and the "Super K's" (I hate that name to begin with as it implies they are way better than the other teams) deliver good rooms, but don't have the overall experience in my opinion. 

I think the judging of the rooms is terribly unfair and way to subjective. One team starts fitting the rooms with timber, other teams do it as well and they are the copycats, instead of just judging room/apartment by itself. 

Last year I stopped watching just after the fluffy roller. I just couldn't be bothered to watch such mean self centered people. This year, I had a break for a month where I didn’t see an ep and I didn’t miss it. I only decided to give it another try because I love watching Dale. While I still don’t like the twins they seems to have toned down.

This year it seems like production has gone mean girl. While editing can’t make you say things you didn’t say they can certainly play around with what you have said and done. I do wonder if Steve slept with someone’s wife because they have been going at him since the first week on the block. Maybe it was because no couple was actively against another couple they decided it was the season for ‘Steve the idiot’.

I always had a problem with the judges judging by what they personally like and sucking up to each other. They don’t need a magazine editor and they don’t need two designers as judges. A builder, a designer and a real estate agent. While the designer says how great the space looks the real estate agent can say that it won’t/will sale for whatever reason.

I miss the old show. I probably will give it another try next year but I know I no longer wait with anticipation for the show to start up again.

Right, xfuse, your proposed team of judges seems perfect. But there wouldn't be snark then, would there? I am actually looking forward to "House Rules" S2 which should start after this Block is over. It seemed like a show with less drama. 

I also don't really get why they have to complete insane amounts of rooms each week, you want a good product? Give them sufficient funds and time and they will rock something out. But again, with less drama of course. 

But there wouldn't be snark then, would there?

For the judges there would be more. Each one would think that their area is more important. The decorator would say a room is good because it's in a certain style but the builder would point out the flaws and then they would all argue about what is more important. There would be less ass kissing and more actual real world.

I'm looking forward to House Rules S2 also. That show proved last year that you don't need manufactured drama to have a good show. People will rub each other the wrong way but people do that anyway. The situation is stressful enough they don't need to have a 'Keith' to make some.

The season is almost over and I still wish it was just fans even if I really like Brad and Dale.

If it's possible can all our other dicussion in small talk be moved over here.

True. I would never hire Keith to be a foreman for a project after seeing him on this show. Even if most of it is played up for the cameras, he just comes off as a jerk. 

I understand why the twins are miffed about the other teams turning a bedroom into a bathroom/robe. The twins heavily rely on rules and play by the rules, and if you consider that they weren't allowed to change basic rooms on the block, it makes sense that they are less than enthusiastic about that move. 

One other thing came to my mind. That dumb waiter - the most epic prank of all time!!! - had a terrible payoff and just wasn't funny. All the build-up for this? 

All the build-up for this?

But that is normal for the block. All the build-up for 'Someone leaves the Block' and all we got was a builder quiting after a few hours. All the build-up for drama and rating and I think has backfired on tptb. I don't think anyone takes them serious anymore about something epic that is supposed to happen.

(edited)

The twins really got a bit screwed over by the show and its narrative this time.  But even worse, Steve & Chantelle did.  These poor people mercilessly got made total fools of by this show. The kinds of mistakes they made would have been nothing, gotten nothing but passing mentions, on a season with three other couples of the same experience level.  Alone at that level, and adding ridiculous musical cues, sarcastic voice-overs about them, and very selective editing, they really got unfairly reamed.

Edited by Kromm

I was just watching some of the eps I missed while away. Some of my impressions.

Kara is a bitch and much always have things her way.

Just because you spend 8 thousand on a bathtub doesn't mean it looks good.

Twins expected things to be handed to them and when things don't go their way they whine.

S&C are not as useless as the show is making them out to be. Sometimes they have good ideas and can actually do them.

I am watching the latest episode, they go in for the final low blows towards Steve here. They got the twins to deliver pretty mean stuff in their talking heads. Unbelievable. 

(edited)

I think I finally worked out what the twins issue was this week - they walked in and took over control of everything, but then expected everyone else to do all the work for them, so they could shop and when they had to actually work themselves, (because Chantelle was ill and builders dust would have made her worse, and the twins weren't going to listen to Steve at all), they kicked off. Example being rendering the fireplace. Steve suggested it first, but they didn't listen, knew better and kept trying to find a solution they came up with themselves, and then had to admit Steve was right. It was quite funny watching that. 

Don't get me wrong, Chantelle talking about Alisa's family was petty & ridiculous. I would have bit back about that, too. Quite rightly. But the twins can't complain that Steve is lazy because he's not answering to them when they expect him to, especially when they've refused to listen to him all week. He brought together that whole back garden that was amazing after they banished him out there because they didn't want to deal with him. Lysandra's face when any man was talking about what to do was quite telling. She always looked away, looked very bored & you could see she would rather be somewhere else. It happened when Steve spoke, and when the gardening guy was talking too. 

I do think House 1 did a great job overall, and deserved to score higher than house 2 for the back garden, at least. I don't think there is a "conspiracy of  low scores" that the twins believe there is, (I think house 2 was much better overall), I think the twins have to realise the judges aren't always going to favour them like they did last year.

Edited by OzTvJunkie

Interesting finale, I wouldn't have thought that S&C would make it. Good for them though, cause the way they have been portrayed was foul. 

One one level I feel like saying maybe that's why they did so well--viewer sympathy for such shenanigans against them.  The twins doing well would work with the same theory (since as bad as they were at times, the show STILL demonized them more than even they deserved).

That said I doubt viewer sympathy had anything to do with it.  it was strictly the inherent value of the real estate and the auction order.  The buyers didn't give a hoot about the furnishings--because at that level they'll gladly rebuild and refurnish whatever they don't like.  The order drove everything, because it was strictly a matter of increasing scarcity.  Those apartments can and will be upgraded and resold for a huge profit no matter which of the four it was, so scooping them up was just a matter of holding out on the bidding and so went higher as there were less remaining.

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

New season has started. Five teams (4 couples, and a pair of brothers), a ginormous office building to convert in 5 two-storeys appartment. Hopefully we will get more renovation than drama this year! Anyone watching?

I am! 

It'll be interesting to see how they all handle what's happening and I'm hoping the mean edit that Steve received last year will not be returning. I'm liking all the contestants so far, although it seems Karlene is a little work shy when they were all cleaning up, but that shopping comment may have just been a throw away and was edited in to make her look bad. 

I'm going to give it another go but this year might be last year if all I see is manufactured drama and/or mean girl editing. The Block is not the only reno show so if they annoy me again this year I can get my reno fix by another show.

• Love 1

I'm liking all the contestant so far as well (although I still have some difficulties telling the three "slim blonde girl / tall muscle guy " couples apart. I'm interested to see how Chris and Jenna's ideas will come out (tree in the house, photographs of the building site...).

I'm a bit scared about the "twist" announcement. I really hope it is not a way to build artificial rivalry and alliances.

The twist will go either two ways. One, some of the teams team up and low/high score so someone can win. The second way is everyone is nicey nice and gives everyone a nice average score. I think that everyone is going to be nicey nice.

I just got caught up. Does Channel 9 have some focus group research that tells them they need to go BIGGER every season? Every time, they push the "This is the biggest building we've ever tackled!!!" angle, but does anyone watching actually care? I think people just want to see contestants building and styling rooms. It seems like they're really pushing the boundaries of what is feasible. I have no interest in watching teams fail to complete their rooms.

(edited)

I just binge caught up too (due to this show getting noticeably worse each of the past few seasons I've had to decide if I even wanted to bother).  

I imagine they must do some research to see if things are even achievable and adjust the budgets they give the Blocksters to compensate for hiring more and more extra bodies to help out.

My big issue this season so far (besides the "Drama!" setup with the judging) is if these apartments will be worth even approximately the same thing as each other as a base.  I know in theory they have the whole "taken from the reserve price" thing to compensate for that, but I don't think that really works.  

For example, the apartment in the middle, which at first glance seemed like it might inherently be worth a lot less than the others, as we learn more seems like it will be worth far MORE.  Not only do they get a rooftop area none of the others do, but the whole initial notion about them not having windows because they are in the middle isn't in fact true--they have these big spectacular rooftop level windows PLUS like all of the others it looks like some kind of void with external light coming in.

Edited by Kromm
(edited)

I'm liking all the contestant so far as well (although I still have some difficulties telling the three "slim blonde girl / tall muscle guy " couples apart. 

From the back it's not so easy, but the front it gets pretty easy to tell the blondes apart.  There's the beauty queen who's been established as super-perky/positive, there's the Mom with the braided her, and there's the older blond (who probably doesn't fit the "slim" description as much), who's got a sharp tongue. 

The three guys are a bit less distinctive than the women, surprisingly (plus the all boys team has at least one muscly guy too, so if you see him just by himself he's also easy to mix up with the other three muscly guys).  

BTW: Does that part of Melbourne maybe have different "zoning" rules than previous seasons?  I haven't heard them mention Tools Down times because of Noise restrictions even once.  Clearly that building used to be zoned as either Commercial or Light Industrial.  It must have been rezoned to allow these apartments there.  But the neighborhood overall must not have other residential zoning, or there'd be some kind of noise restriction, yes?

Edited by Kromm

I think in the last ep they mentioned that they had until 8 pm to finish up. They didn't say it was because of noise but they did mention a time limit. I got a feeling i'm not going to like Dee and Darren. I hope someone tells Scotty to stop it with the so call 'cute' names. It's annoying.

From the back it's not so easy, but the front it gets pretty easy to tell the blondes apart.  There's the beauty queen who's been established as super-perky/positive, there's the Mom with the braided her, and there's the older blond (who probably doesn't fit the "slim" description as much), who's got a sharp tongue. 

The three guys are a bit less distinctive than the women, surprisingly (plus the all boys team has at least one muscly guy too, so if you see him just by himself he's also easy to mix up with the other three muscly guys). 

Yes, the guys are more difficult to tell apart (and I still have trouble telling which guy goes with which girl !).

So far, highly disappointed on the "please, more reno" front. Day 4 (5?) and it seems they have hardly done any work, the walls are not even on yet! I'm a bit annoyed about the "steel structure" debacle. This kind of work should be done before the interior reno starts. If I was a potential investor I would be put off by the way important structural work seems to be conducted in this building and I would worry about how this building will age.

I'm liking Jenna more and more, she's full of energy and ideas.

I'm a bit annoyed about the "steel structure" debacle.

Keith does my head in, calling himself the Blockinator and wth was up with getting the steel in so late?  He is always stuffing things up.

I want to see the actual work being done. Between the two eps it went from Darren having a massive amount of work to having the room painted. I thought for a moment I had missed an ep. It would have been nice to see the teams working. It doesn't take a large amount to time to show each team doing something work related.

It's also amazing how condescending they can be on demand.  

I mean clearly Max and Karson's result was based pretty much on things out of their control (a vendor who just doesn't show up OR answer a phone, and another who outright doesn't pick something up).  I suppose in the future they can do things like pester people to make sure things were picked up AT the time they are supposed to be doing so, and do extra reference checks on vendors to make sure they're responsible (clearly the cabinet maker wasn't), those are extraordinary circumstances and not deserving of judge scorn.  Marking down?  Yes.  But it should have been a lot less condescending.  There's a difference between critical and pissy. These judges are pissy.

And while it could be called a Rookie mistake to leave those installations to the last day.... watching the show it was made painfully clear to us that was mostly due to another situation of their control (the steel work).  Them getting the steel work earlier than some other couples didn't even help, because they still had to schedule those installations for the last day because of it.  

Yeah, I was torn on that one. On the one hand, contestants do need to figure out a way to finish their rooms. It is the point of the show. On the other, if both contractors had shown up on time -- something that was totally outside the contestants' control -- there wouldn't have been a problem. Even though they wouldn't have done anything different, yknow? It was a shitty thing that happened, but it probably could have happened to any one of the other couples with the same result. They all had tradies coming in last minute.

(edited)

Right.  I'd say the lack of the door in Dee & Darren's room was arguably worse offense (because that was a lot more directly on the heads of the couple).  Admittedly it was one thing missing rather than two, so yes, it still shouldn't have gotten worse scores, but in terms of Judge scorn it was probably more deserving of it. 

Also those street facing windows in Dee & Darren's room had to be disgustingly bad, if we believe the show's earlier narrative about how late Darren got to sanding and cleaning them. That should have led to scores almost as bad as something being missing because of a vendor.  I mean it's outright evidence of a total lack of planning vs. a last second disaster.  Really Dee & Darren's scores should have been almost as low--and definitely lower than poor Chris & Jenna's score... which it wasn't. I mean bad wall paint in a few spots vs. a missing door and windows that look like garbage (and probably need days to fix since you have to strip all the paint off, do the sanding/grinding down that never got done right the first place and THEN and only then paint them again)  I'd score the bad wall paint better, because that was all that was wrong there and is piss-easy to fix (hours instead of days).

Also, IMO they should score each other's rooms BEFORE they hear the judge feedback and those scores.  I mean that's what the show would do if there was any pretense at all of fairness (I guess there isn't).

Edited by Kromm

Also those street facing windows in Dee & Darren's room had to be disgustingly bad, if we believe the show's earlier narrative about how late Darren got to sanding and cleaning them. That should have led to scores almost as bad as something being missing because of a vendor.

This is why I am so over the judges. They decide the scores based on what Neale thinks will look good in a magazine and the judges own personal style. Mainly if Neale doesn't like it, it doesn't score very well. A door missing doesn't stand out as much as a cabinet missing in those magazine.  Not having a zillion little brick brac is always worse than a door missing.

(edited)

This is why I am so over the judges. They decide the scores based on what Neale thinks will look good in a magazine and the judges own personal style. Mainly if Neale doesn't like it, it doesn't score very well. A door missing doesn't stand out as much as a cabinet missing in those magazine.  Not having a zillion little brick brac is always worse than a door missing.

It's moronic, I agree.  A missing door is FAR worse in this case, because it's their personal failure.  At the very least it should have counted for the same level of scorn/penalty--one major room feature missing (apparently the blinds were counted that much since they never got mentioned again after the first time).

Hey, is Keith really taking it in the pants this series?  He always looks like a bit of a fool, but the continuous series of structural and site planning fuckups is just staggering this time. Whatever off-screen project manager there is who's the office counterpart to Keith's on-site foreman job also is coming off like a total fuckup too.  And the architect seems to have been asleep on the job too--I mean I get they're making the apartments vary not only for DRAMA! but also out of structural necessity, but leaving a structural wall in the middle of an assigned room space? Giving Blocksters TWO bathrooms too small for baths?  Even beyond the misplanning with how the structural work is being scheduled, the actual structural DECISIONS seem pretty hairy.

Edited by Kromm

Speaking of fuckups, I wounder if Max and Karstan shouldn't be trying to get some money back from those cabinet folks.  It wasn't clear to me if the installer was the same person who made it, or worked for a company that made it, or whatever, but someone along the line was making a profit they should have surrendered part of for that guy's level of service (if he was an independent, then totally out of his share, and if not then out of the share of the people who employ him).

And the architect seems to have been asleep on the job too--I mean I get they're making the apartments vary not only for DRAMA! but also out of structural necessity, but leaving a structural wall in the middle of an assigned room space? Giving Blocksters TWO bathrooms too small for baths?

This is why I would never buy anything from the Block even if I had the money. I simply don't trust them. They keep harping on that it's the biggest Block ever and the apartments are going to be worth over two million but they have bathrooms so small that you can't put a bath in them. It's not only K&M two bathrooms not being big enough but other teams don't seem to have much room. Also if D&D has the smallest apartment why is there bathroom bigger than K&M. It looked on the drawing that D&D bathroom was the same size as a bedroom. I think I agree with Dee, the architect is an idiot.

There do seem to be a few things going wrong on the planners part this year, that hasn't been that apparent in previous years. (Not forgetting Steve & Chantelle having to have an elevator shaft built whilst they were trying to do a bathroom!) 

I think D&D's apartment is the smallest, and because of that, the rooms are small. I don't understand exactly why, considering they could have just split that side in half evenly between the two teams. Not having a city view didn't harm the twins apartment last year. Although Dee is coming off as a bit of a bitch - with the comments about not winning the contestants judging etc. The couple that came second by one point were the obvious choice to win the second prize. 

I'm a bit worried about the open shower with the stairs. That seems totally impractical & dangerous to me, but I bet the judges love it. 

It's interesting watching, although I'm agreeing with the critique that I'd like to see more renovating. 

I'm a bit worried about the open shower with the stairs. That seems totally impractical & dangerous to me, but I bet the judges love it.

They probably will. The couple judging is all about not giving someone an advantage by winning more money than anyone else. While they could have given the win to D&D I think the other couple think they are more of a threat to win more rooms.

There do seem to be a few things going wrong on the planners part this year, that hasn't been that apparent in previous years. (Not forgetting Steve & Chantelle having to have an elevator shaft built whilst they were trying to do a bathroom!)

Don't forget all the crap the tradies (plus Dale) had to put up with in the last all star version. They had a pole in the middle of their room for most of their week.

Dee does seem like a bitch or entitled. I'm not surprised at all.

Dee does seem like a bitch or entitled. I'm not surprised at all.

Dee is what my grandfather used to refer to as "a ballbreaker". It's not that's she's complaining in the wrong places (she's usually right) but it's the WAY she does it. Her dial seems to go from zero to a hundred in seconds. Her husband is kind of clueless in many ways, it's true. but I've noticed couples like that where the guy's balls just shrink over time and they actually get more and more haphazard BECAUSE they get reamed out so often and stop giving a fuck.

There are touches of being a bitch too, although that's a different thing. The way she sniped and complained about the early morning work crew was that. We weren't really in any position to see for sure how loud the crew actually were (it kind of looked to me like Dee was fully awake and doing her usual morning routine when she "discovered" this and was just complaining because it gave someone else a leg up), but in either circumstance she'd have a basis to complain. But her attitude sounded snotty and petty and "I'm telling teacher", rather than going to the perpetrators themselves and asking for an accounting.

I wonder if there is a little bit of the whole "man at work, woman doesn't belong in my workplace" thing going on with Darren too. It's not a misogynist thing, it's a thought pattern where he's used to his wife not being at work, and him making all the decisions etc and getting on with the job - and now he's found himself at work with his wife, and he's having to adjust to being in a team in his work environment with her rather than just working. Adam from this year & Leyton from last year were the same to begin with on House Rules. The girls tend to be really shrill about it too because they're having to remind him they're meant to be a team, and that's exhausting. 

It's why mistakes like the towel rail happen. 

I'm not saying she's not a bitch, or a ball breaker, but I'll be interested to see how they progress as his thinking adjusts. Adam & Leyton realised, and I'm sure Darren will too - unless the editing monkey's seize on it and milk it forever. 

Love that Chris and Jenna did well this week, they are really turning into my favorite contestants (particularly bubbly, spontaneous Jenna, she's a work machine and she cracks me up). There bathroom was stunning with this indoor/outdoor feeling.

I didn't like so much the platform shower/bath in Mike and Carlene's bathroom. I would be worry everytime I take a shower that the whole bathroom would be flooded (unless there is drainage in the lower floor part?) and I don't think these stairs are well suited for children.

Max and Karsten's was also really nice. I loved the wood vanity in the brothers' bathroom but I'm not sure it's such a great idea to not have a bath, even if there is a bath in the ensuite it is not very functionnal with children (or is there a third bathroom in the planning?). They've all done a great work this week!

I think I will end up watching only reveal episodes, it's about the only episode where we actually have an idea of what they build and no personnal drama.The other episodes this week were (to me) pretty boring.

I wish they would score each other's room before seeing the judges' score.

Edited by Sarnia

I loved how Scotty put up their scores for each others rooms, not just the total. Dee has been outed as a competitive cow with her 7's & one 8 for the bathroom that everyone deemed dangerous. Her smugness as they awaited their win (because they came second) was almost palpable through the screen. I would have loved to have seen the other teams award it to Chris & Jenna or someone else to see her crestfallen face. 

The bathrooms were spectacular though. I'm loving Chris & Jenna too, as they don't seem to take themselves too seriously. Their win was deserved, although I would worry about smacking into the glass wall constantly. I loved the boys vanity unit. The wood with white basins was beautiful. I definitely think they could have squeezed a bath in, but understand why they didn't. If they had, I think they might have won. 

• Love 1

Ugggh, this whole "everyone stands around because Keith can't get his shit together" thing makes for terrible TV. I think I will also just watch reveals and the contestant ratings (which is already entirely strategic and stupid). 

At least Chris and Jenna are great value. "The Macarena" is not where most people's minds go when they see a really big shower cavity....

I loved how Scotty put up their scores for each others rooms, not just the total. Dee has been outed as a competitive cow with her 7's & one 8 for the bathroom that everyone deemed dangerous. Her smugness as they awaited their win (because they came second) was almost palpable through the screen. I would have loved to have seen the other teams award it to Chris & Jenna or someone else to see her crestfallen face. 

We already knew she was a bitch, so being outed as a competitive cow wasn't much further...

Ooh, seems this week the contestants judged each others rooms before they saw the scores from the judges - so no more second place gets the prize. This might be interesting, although I think the producers are using it as a way to add drama. 

I'm liking this years contestants overall, they might be having spats with their partners etc, but the producers are digging hard to create drama and the contestants don't seem to want to buy into it, which is brilliant. 

(edited)

Hmmm.  I'm starting to get the sense that Max & Kartson are going to be this season's designated judge's punching bags.  I mean what they produced this past week didn't look like it should have scored almost as low as a couple who didn't even produce the right room types.  I sense they may be the last to win a room--and are going to be bleeding due to a lack of money a lot worse than the others--except.... maybe for the Blockhead we've already been told overspends (Carlene).

EDIT - And the episode with the challenge reinforced this. Judge Darren looked like he was saying positive enough things about Max & Karston's entry to justify giving it to them to spread the wealth around a bit.  But once again they miss out on getting any actual money.

Also, seriously... it bummed me out seeing Dee win ANYTHING.  It might have been amusing to see her get madder and madder each week until her head popped off, but now she'll just be bitchy-smug, as opposed to bitchy-furious.

Edited by Kromm