Type keyword(s) to search

Beat Bobby Flay - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm staying in a hotel,  so I have no idea how old this episode is, but one cook who just boasted of having worked at the French Laundry made what he proudly called Toad in the Hole.  Sorry mate. What you made was a piece of  bread with a hole in it and a fried egg in the hole.  Maybe somebody who knows him watched this and was able to take him down a peg or two.

I just realized I never finished the holiday episodes, so picked up where I left off.  I didn't care for the frosted episode, so barely paid attention, but I liked the Feast of Seven Fishes episode a lot. 

I've had the squid ink calamari Antonia made in the first round at her restaurant and it's delicious, so I'm not surprised she won, and she might well have even if Christian had properly cooked his pasta; it sounds really simple, and it is, but it doesn't taste like everyone else's calamari.  I love her helping him plate so he'd finish in time. 

Michael Symon was talking a little more trash in the second round than he usually does with anyone other than Bobby, so that was fun in the second round.  So was Bobby saying let Antonia have Michael in the final round, because he's whiny for a while after he loses.

The food in that final round had me drooling, but I most wanted to eat Antonia's so I'm glad she won.

I wanted all the food in the first two rounds of the last episode.  I don't love caviar, but I like it, and would happily consume both first round dishes, especially Brooke's.  And I'm with her that the meat needs to be cooked on the bone, but a steak that thick in such a short amount of time??  She's as great a competitor as she is a chef, so I figured coming into the second round she had this in the bag against a guy who never competes, but there was just no way she was going to get that cooked properly, so that was a rare error in judgment from her.

The final round, though, not my jam.  I love salmon (I don't love the color of poached salmon, but the flavor of salmon any which way is great), but I hate latkes (because I hate potatoes) and I don't much care for chicken liver.  Andrew's salmon and, especially, his grandma's sauce sounded great.  The broth with Bobby's sounded really good, too, I would just prefer the green sauce from Andrew.  I'd try both chicken liver dishes and be surprised if I liked one or both.  I obviously wouldn't eat either latke, but Andrew's looked better.

• Like 2

Just watched the 3/14 episode.  Michael Voltaggio looked different - actually smiling broadly several times, and looks less gaunt than usual.  Both good changes!

• Like 3

I'm glad you posted, as I didn't realize a new season had started -- I haven't come across any commercials for it while watching ToC (the only thing I've been watching on FN lately) and it's not on Discovery+.  So I just watched the three episodes that have aired so far via the regular Discovery app.

The one with English peas in the first round and steak Oscar in the second was possibly the least suspenseful episode I've seen.  The editors didn't even try to disguise that neither round was close.

I loved the second one, with jicama in the first round and moquecas in the second.  I was really impressed with what both challengers did with jicama -- very creative.  I use it in salads and slaws, but that's about it, and mostly for texture because of its bland flavor.  So I'd have been at a loss to make it the star of a dish.  And I love moquecas (I won't order them anymore, though, as I avoid palm oil as much as I can), so I'm glad the challenger's traditional version won.

The one with the mentor vs. protege did not do it for me in the first round with the dueling bean toasts, as I hate beans, but OMG I wanted both shrimp tostones in the second round.  Especially Bobby's, so I figured he was going to win.

I like dandelion greens, but don't use them a lot so have only ever sauteed them, made a salad with them, and used them in a pesto, so I laughed that the last two are the ways the contestants went -- a lot of times, they make things I wouldn't have thought of.

Kaleena is currently on Top Chef, and she won Beachside Brawl the first season, so she's making the rounds.  She was my favorite on Brawl, so I was rooting for her here (especially now that I know she suffers from anxiety, since I do too).  Melissa showcased the greens more, but clearly Kaleena's was the much better dish, so they were going to go with her.

Both seafood boils looked great, but I thought they both made mistakes with their sauces, especially Bobby.  I disagree with the judge who criticized Kaleena for including andouille, so was glad she won.