Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Know Thy Selfie

Same! I hadn't heard a lot about this show before it aired, but I'd heard the one-line premise (something along the lines of "best friends pretend to be lesbians to gain popularity") and rolled my eyes. I had no intention of watching. Then I saw some intriguing Tumblr gifsets and some intelligent quotes from Carter Covington, and I decided to give it a shot. I'm glad I did.

I do, however, think that MTV initially marketed this to look like a very different show. That

made it look offensive and kind of stupid. It included all of the worst lines (like the one about all guys liking lesbians, and the one about Amy not even liking to look at her own vagina) and left out all the funny ones! The
after the premiere was much, much better, and it's what I used to "sell" Faking It to my friends (several of whom are loving the show now, too).

The season one trailer was definitely better because they figured out who the star of the show was.

This isn't really an ensemble show. It has a main charachter (Amy) and she is charachter the show is, and needs to be built around

• Love 2
(edited)

I was bound and determined to hate this show and it has become my favorite thing...and I hate sitcoms.  

I am loving Amy's storyline right now.  I rings so real to me.  I think MTV's marketing was brilliant.  People watched to see the trainwreck.  That's why I watched.  Like I said,  I don't usually watch 1/2 hour comedies.  I watched this because it sounded awful and offensive and I didn't want to miss it but instead what I got was insightful, beautiful and bordering on brilliant. 

There are a few things I would change.  I am not sure where the show is going with the Karma and Liam storyline and where it can go with that.  I would hate the show forever if Amy is not gay.  Karma's sexuality is up for grabs.  Honestly a part of me would like her to be a heterosexual and  in love with Liam who is in love with her and break Amy's heart because that would be true to live as well. 

Oh yeah and I liked the girl Amy went on a date with and I liked their conversation,  

Anyway good episode in a string of good episodes.  

Edited by ChaosTheory

I agree -- there hasn't been a miss yet, and the first season is half over. I thought this one was sweet and funny and very true -- I liked hearing Jasmine's story about falling for her best friend, and seeing Shane and Lauren begin to bond (she's been one-note so far and some more depth there would be great), and getting to know a bit more about Liam. I like that Amy couldn't figure things out in one afternoon, because who can?

(edited)

This episode, as they all have I guess, felt a bit rushed to me. I kind of can't shake the feeling that the show wants to be an hour long and is speeding through its moves in order to get from point a to point b in half the time.

That having been said, Amy continues to be the beating heart of the show for me and it all feels so right and true. Her hopeful little face at the end when Shane convinced her that Karma could feel the same way....on one hand I want to protect her, and on the other hand I kind of want to push her off that ledge and see what happens. Heh. There's wish fulfillment on one side and cold hard reality on the other. But if she comes out to Karma and it goes badly, the relatable catharsis could still be pretty satisfying. I did feel for her though when she voiced her fears about how coming out to Karma could end the friendship they've enjoyed since childhood. It must be tempting to hold onto what they have, even though it's not exactly what she wants, rather than gamble it all.

And I know I keep saying it, but it keeps being true: I remain impressed that I have no idea what they're going to do. The only thing I'm a little afraid of is that they'll treat Karma's reaction as a cliffhanger and then not get a second season. So I hope Amy tells Karma next week and we actually see some of the fallout before the hiatus.

Edited by bravelittletoaster

This show has to be shorter than even the typical 1/2 hour network sitcome. I don't think there is even 20 minutes of actual show.

Amy's attempts at flirting were funny but the Karma/Laim B-plot was meh. I'm sorry, if his big family secret is that they're super rich but he just wants to be a tortured artist or hippie, that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Liam is the epitome of "first world problems" and Karma's continued infatuation with him makes less and less sense. Put Amy aside, the guy is a total bore and a whiny spoiled brat.

As for Amy and Shane's convo, I think it's an interesting question of whether or not it's better to know for sure if she has a chance with Karma and take whatever risk that entails or just keeping it to herself and living with the pain.

One thing I'll say is that the relationship she previously had with Karma is gone, even if she doesn't realize it. The kiss really did change everything. Amy is never going to see her the same way and thus their relationship has been irreparably changed.

• Love 2

She has to confront this, because she is stuck in emotional limbo right now - Being shot down in flames would hurt, but at least then she might start to move on - which is not going to happen while it is unresolved. And, well, Jasmine is cute. Being picked up from being shattered wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Theory: Shane's whole spiel to Amy prompted a theory: Liam is a closet case, and in a relationship with Shane.  That is why he tells girls he only wants fuck buddies and why he is pursuing a lesbian in a relationship. He wants to get shot down! He gets to reap the social rewards of being a teen heart-throb without having to actually go out with any girls. 

This is about the only reasonable way I see for the show to make us more sympathetic towards him - Because right now, he is just too much of a douchebag - if it is a cover, however..   

Wow, that's really interesting.  I think it's unlikely, but that'd be a pretty awesome twist and go a long way towards redeeming him or just even making him interesting to me.  Amy and Shane's relationship is threatening to become the main one on the show for me, so I hope they remind us next week why Amy loves Karma so much [not that those feelings are usually dictated by logic.]  It was an interesting experiment to have an episode where they didn't interact at all, but Karma suffered a bit in my eyes from that.  Amy loving her kind of sells her better to me.

They kind of do need to make Karma more appealing. Because my comments - and I actually said this out loud to myself -  when she worried about her sexuality being the most interesting thing about her were "You think it's the most interesting thing about you!" and "But you are wrong, it's your voice". And she kind of needs more than just a nice singing voice to carry Amy's adoration of her. 

Problem is, we just have to kind of take Amy's word for it regarding how great Karma is because we can't see the previous 12 years of their friendship.

There is stuff they could do to make Karma more likable. A simple apology for getting Amy involved in this nonsense would be a good start

As for Lauren, what's her prupose here? In the grand scheme of bullies/bitches on tv she is pretty tame.

(edited)

This episode, as they all have I guess, felt a bit rushed to me. I kind of can't shake the feeling that the show wants to be an hour long and is speeding through its moves in order to get from point a to point b in half the time.

That having been said, Amy continues to be the beating heart of the show for me and it all feels so right and true. Her hopeful little face at the end when Shane convinced her that Karma could feel the same way....on one hand I want to protect her, and on the other hand I kind of want to push her off that ledge and see what happens. Heh. There's wish fulfillment on one side and cold hard reality on the other. But if she comes out to Karma and it goes badly, the relatable catharsis could still be pretty satisfying. I did feel for her though when she voiced her fears about how coming out to Karma could end the friendship they've enjoyed since childhood. It must be tempting to hold onto what they have, even though it's not exactly what she wants, rather than gamble it all.

And I know I keep saying it, but it keeps being true: I remain impressed that I have no idea what they're going to do. The only thing I'm a little afraid of is that they'll treat Karma's reaction as a cliffhanger and then not get a second season. So I hope Amy tells Karma next week and we actually see some of the fallout before the hiatus.

Indeed, it was way too rushed. In less than 15 hours, Amy: figured out that she was gay, went to a gay bar, tried to flirt (and failed miserably), set up an online profile and got a hit, managed to organize a date with a very cute girl and eventually ruined the date by trying to kiss the girl after 5 seconds.

I wish my coming out process had been that fast, it would have saved me a lot of heartache. The episode didn't quite work for me because of that and also because Amy and Karma didn't have a single interaction. 

Still I enjoyed seeing Oliver who continues to be super cute and lovely and I was glad to see Karma's hilarious hippie parents back.

Edited by Barbican

Ratings stayed steady this week with a 0.4.

Awkward got an 0.5, so Faking it is retaining a decent chunk of its lead in's audience and seems to have found a core viewiership in the 900,000 range.

Don't know what else MTV could be looking for there. The show has earned a second season.

And I'll give MTV the same free advice I gave them a few weeks ago. You employ a future superstar. Start turning her into one.

• Love 1

To put it in perspective, Glee's season finale only drew an 0.6, with only about a million more viewers than Faking It.

Again, I don't know what else MTV could possible be asking of the show

Yeah, I'll be surprised if we don't get a second season. In addition to getting decent ratings, the show has trended on Twitter a few times now and is getting a lot of attention on Tumblr. I've also seen good reviews from some big publications like The Hollywood Reporter, The New York Times, and Entertainment Weekly. MTV likes shows that generate a lot of discussion like that.

• Love 1

Amy and that Jasmine girl were cute. I think Karma being straight might make this show better. Amy is clearly gay and in love with karma but maybe when she finally tells Karma and Karma doesn't feel the same Jasmine can come back. Bonus that Jasmine is a WOC. She's had way more lines in one episode than Laurens minions and boyfriend. Shane on the other hand continues to be a life saver for Amy. Shane seems to like older men. I hope we never see him hook up with a teacher. I get enough of that on Degrassi and PLL.

Yep Liam is starting to like Karma. I'm curious what's so fucked up about his family. The show is going to give him some sympathy storyline. I doubt it has to do with him secretly being gay.

As for Karma, it was nice seeing her parents and it seems she's a bit jealous of her older brother and feels like her parents are only paying attention to her because she's "gay". If we get a season 2 I hope they do bring on Zen.

Lauren and Shane bonding was good. I don't think she really hates gays. I don't even think she hates Amy. I think she just hates where she lives. Her wanting her boyfriend to send pics to the whole school was weird but I think he's just a gentleman and she probably thinks he doesn't find her attractive.

I think they will get a season 2 at least I hope.

Hm, MTV is still considering whether or not to renew. Carter Covington said today, "Hey #FakingIt fans! Our ratings dipped a bit last night, so no season 2 this week. But MTV is so impressed with how much you love the show!" He's also now following TV By the Numbers, aw. He seems like a nice guy, and I like how much he's been engaging with the fans. I really hope he gets his second season.

Maybe MTV wants to see the consistency over the course of the whole season, but it seems the show has found a core audience of 800-900 thousand, which is a pretty good start.

And now it's up to MTV to promote the show to bring it up if possible.

• Love 1

The Kristen Stewart groupies were hilarious, especially the girl on the right.

The Karma/Laim B-plot was meh. I'm sorry, if his big family secret is that they're super rich but he just wants to be a tortured artist or hippie, that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Liam is the epitome of "first world problems" and Karma's continued infatuation with him makes less and less sense. Put Amy aside, the guy is a total bore and a whiny spoiled brat.

One thing I'll say is that the relationship she previously had with Karma is gone, even if she doesn't realize it. The kiss really did change everything. Amy is never going to see her the same way and thus their relationship has been irreparably changed.

Liam IS the epitome of first world problems, but then again so is the entire school. Plus, Karma lacks self-awareness, so her interest in Liam despite his lulzy "drama" is totally fitting.

I thought that, more than the fact that Amy obviously sees Karma differently so their relationship is already changed, the episode made the case that even if she doesn't tell Karma anything, their relationship could still fade away, just as she described. The timing of Amy ignoring Karma and Karma thinking Liam sucked and Amy was right about him was fortunate. Next time Karma might not try to call so many times, or she might be the one not to pick up. As much as Amy stands to lose if she says nothing, she can't really win by staying silent either.