Type keyword(s) to search

School Cafeteria Food--The Good, the Bad, and the Inedible

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Babalu said:

I went to the same college you did, @biakbiak. While I remember the whole town smelling like chocolate when they made chocolate Malt-O-Meal, I don’t remember any cereal in the dining halls. Maybe I never got up early enough for breakfast!

I am old so maybe it’s not longer the case. Though the only time I made it to the dining hall for breakfast regularly was during my 8 am 10 person Freshman Seminar which was taught by the Dean of the College and she reserved one of the private rooms in the dining hall so that we would eat breakfast. The dining hall happened to be in my dorm so I would get up and walk down two flights of stairs in my pajamas, get breakfast, eat it during class and than walk back upstairs and go back to sleep!

Ha! I’m older, I bet. I looked up dining halls just for curiosity and saw there’s no longer one at Goodhue, where I lived as a freshman. I guess those students must have to walk up and down the windy, icy hill to get food.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Babalu said:

I bet. I looked up dining halls just for curiosity and saw there’s no longer one at Goodhue, where I lived as a freshman.

Always felt so sorry for you all! Burton all the way!

13 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I am old so maybe it’s not longer the case. Though the only time I made it to the dining hall for breakfast regularly...

I am old too, and as I recall from my college days, cereal was not just reserved for the morning meal 😉

On 3/4/2019 at 9:35 AM, larapu2000 said:

My dad still eats pickled pimento loaf.  And, I am 100% foodie, but also 100% his daughter, and every 6 months or so, I get a hankering for bologna on Wonder Bread with Miracle Whip.  And NO, you cannot substitute the WB or the MW.  And NO other toppings!  

I like lettuce on my bologna/white bread/Miracle Whip sandwiches.  And pickles if I'm on a health food kick.

I never once took my lunch to school.  In Catholic school, my mother paid for an entire year of lunches for her kids before school started, so we were just waved through at the end of the line.  I showed up at public school in the 4th grade with a blank check from my mother to pay for my year of lunches, and they weren't having it.  The most I could get was a monthly lunch ticket.  Yes, high-level negotiations between a cafeteria lady and a 9-year-old on her first day at a new school. 

I was at Lambert's Throwed Rolls recently, and remembered that the rolls they throw are almost identical, in taste and texture, to the rolls I had in school cafeterias.  The ones at school were square-ish with smooth tops, and the ones at Lambert's are clover-shaped (?) on top, but the ones at Lambert's aren't quite as brown on the top, which means I'll eat the whole thing instead of just the middle and bottom (I like my bread cooked rare).

And by "whole thing" I don't want to imply that it's singular.

• Love 1