Type keyword(s) to search

Gendry: Did He Spend Six Months In A Leaky Boat?

• Start Topic

(edited)

Gendry, Gendry, where for art thou, Gendry?  

So now that Littlefinger is no longer anywhere near the harbor in King's Landing, I wonder where the heck Gendry might be and more importantly, will we ever see him again?  

When Davos decided that he'd, more or less forcibly, save the tiny remnants of Stannis's honor by making sure he couldn't bleed Robert's sole surviving child like a goat, I had feared that Melisandre would just be able to light a candle, cuddle that creepy necklace of hers, saute a slug and rope him back into her redheaded web.  

Apparently not.  

It did not, until just recently occur to me, that he may have gone the way of Rickon.  I believe one of two things about Rickon Stark: We will not see or hear about him for years, if that, or he will be promptly found and die horribly with poor Osha desperately trying to act as a human shield, to no avail.  

I pretty much believe, at this point, that Gendry may be suffering a similar fate.  Set free by Davos, he's finally escaped the machinations of "Every time a highborn asks my name, it's trouble." and he's disappeared into the Seven Kingdoms, to either work a blacksmith's forge or plow a field, or whatever it takes to keep the hell away from everyone.  He's been betrayed by the Brotherhood Without Banners (which I personally think showed how full of shit they really are about what they believe) , had the Gold Cloaks after him for the sin of his parentage and last seen, he was off in a rowboat, without benefit of the ability to swim.  

But I do think the story does one thing, even if it doesn't necessarily follow any rules of structure for most fantasy tales:  I think it stops just short of wiping out a bloodline, not just for audience satisfaction, but also for story possibilities.  So Edmure Tully is stuffed in a dungeon, Blackfish roams, Rickon Stark is stashed at the Umbers and despite a bloodbath worthy of a Plague of Egypt, there is one person left in the story who is -- despite not carrying the name -- a Baratheon who has yet to be corrupted by magic, greed, the promise of power.  

Every now and then I feel for Stannis Baratheon, although that's partly feeling sorry for the actor who plays him, because a cold, hard-shelled man is tough to play, but I also feel sorry for Stannis every now and then.  Just because he was a rule follower and someone came along and told him "Guess what?  You're the key to saving the world!" and she was super hot to boot.  That he didn't see that for the con it was fits a man with such a stunning lack of imagination. 

But then I remembered that he tried to have the only living child (that they know of, Robert got around, so I'm assuming he left a few bairns across the land) of his brother murdered for no other reason than it would get him what he wanted.  

Then I hope Gendry gets to face off with Stannis and beat him to death with an oar. 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 1

Ho yeah.

I personally think Gendry would have died of thirst or drowned by now. 

That, or the actor is skipping a season or two because his character isn't important enough ( think Yara in season 3 ).

I've never quickened more to a 'ship than the one that you, shimpy -- a most reluctant Commodore -- launched for Gendry and Sansa.  But while it didn't occur to me that Gendry may be Benjenned,  I fear you may be right.  The saga may go realistic on us, with that one.  (While I still believe that Benjen will reappear, though probably, not the man he was.) 

Still, I wouldn't put it past A Show to show us Gendry in a final montage.  Maybe even crafting the sword we see in the opening credits. 

• Love 1

I have the feeling Gendry (and his abs!) will pop back up at some point, hopefully far from Stannis.  I wonder if he ever put it all together...that the gold cloaks were searching for him because he's King Robert's bastard.  I'm sure he will never be reunited with Arya, but I suspect he'll randomly show up as a smith somewhere.

I like shimpy's spec that because this show doesn't wipe bloodlines out completely - the existence of Danerys Targeryen is the first bit of proof we got of this - that Gendry will survive.  But I do think that we may not see him again for a long long time.  What if Arya meets up with him in Braavos?  They certainly need smiths in Braavos, to make all those swords, First or otherwise.  That would put him in next season or the season after.  (I don't think we'll see Braavos this season.)

Gendry is actually one character/actor who makes me wonder if this show is affecting the author of the books at all, as to how he thinks the outcome will go.  I wonder if somewhat minor, or temporary, characters (characters who are supposed to be important for a time, but only for as long as their story arc goes), being cast with attractive actors and seeming to have some kind of presence onscreen, makes Martin think, Hmm, I should do something different or more with these characters!  I wonder that about Gendry and I wonder that about Ygrit, just because they are two characters who, on the one hand, I could see them only being in the story for a short while, as the plot only needs them for X period, but then when I look at them on the screen I think, They need to DO SOMETHING with those characters/actors!!!  Anyway, we Unsullied will never know the answer to these bookish questions until a few years from now, when the show's over and we can finally read interviews with the author.  But I always wonder if authors who aren't yet done with their book series but are already watching adaptations get affected by the casting.  

• Love 2

Oooh, abelard, I like the idea of Gendry ending up in Braavos or somewhere else across the Narrow Sea.  I think it's entirely possible that Gendry ran into pirates, ust as Davos did.  I would love for him to show up in some future season in Danaerys or someone else's storyline.

• Love 3

Or maybe Gendry will re-enter the story the same way he did the first time.  We met him at the Blacksmith's shop, Ned told him when was old enough to fight to come and look him up (which let's hope that's not Gendry's fate, meeting up with Ned would not be good) .  Then when Arya was really up a bad creek, having to hoof it to the Wall, only the gruff protection of Yoren to count upon, it was a great relief to suddenly see Gendry , towering over everyone and living out a bit of a historical reenactment unbeknownst to any of the parties involved; Stark and Baratheons (Younger Division) united.  

So maybe, if we ever see him again, that's how it will happen.  Maybe all hope will seem to be lost and then, blammo...there's Gendry.  Stepping in and saving someone I like.  I'd hope for him to be in Braavos, but I think Davos and Stannis have something planned with the Iron Bank, and I'd like Gendry to stay the hell away from his Uncle Stannis and Melisandre for the rest of...ever, really. 

• Love 4
it was a great relief to suddenly see Gendry , towering over everyone and living out a bit of a historical reenactment unbeknownst to any of the parties involved; Stark and Baratheons (Younger Division) united.

I love this line.  I'm a bit bummed that Arya never found out that Gendry was a Baratheon.  But maybe it wouldn't mean the same thing to her as it would have to the Older Division (if Ned and Robert could have known that, for a time anyway, their children teamed up against the world in a Very Dangerous Situation).  

I think it's entirely possible that Gendry ran into pirates, ust as Davos did.  I would love for him to show up in some future season in Danaerys or someone else's storyline.

I guess I do keep expecting to see Davos's pirate friend show up again.  We saw him briefly one season then again the next (when I least expected it), and so it would be cool if he just popped up again in Gendry's story (like shimpy says, Gendry might also be another King of the Pop-Up!).

I would love to see more people we know from Westeros show up in Dany's story.  I just really want Dany to start being integrated more into the bigger field of story, and if she won't start heading west then by the old gods and the new and the new new ones, let the westerners start heading east!  Where's Shae?  Where's Gendry?  Let them stumble into Dany's entourage!!

• Love 2

Gendry was initially intended for the Nights Watch - maybe he will resume that trek after he hits dry land? I can also see him saying 'another secretive military outfit with quasi-religious overtones? The first one sold me like a goat, thanks. I've had my fill.' I, too, hope he doesn't get Benjened by A Show, and I don't think he will for some of the reasons stillshimpy said. There is on one else who can reasonably fill the place he occupies within the story. We know of no other living children of Robert Baratheon, so Gendry is it.

Maybe he is actually a super-sensitive artistic type under all that brawn and just wants to try his hand at acting in Lys?

Wherever you roam, Seven Blessings to you, Gendry. A great 2nd tier character with some good lines and a pretty fair actor playing the part.

• Love 2
(edited)

I actually like it, when the story arc of a character just ends.

Benjen disappeared beyond the Wall.

Myrcella was sent to Dorne.

The Hill Tribes got paid and went home with their new shiny weapons.

Hot Pie stayed as a baker in the inn.

After beeing insulted, blackmailed, wounded and punched Lancel decided that life at royal court isn't for him. (I guess)

Olenna accomplished her mission (killed Joffrey) and went home.

Jaqen went on to do his business of killing people somewhere else

Gendry escaped the Gold Cloaks, The Nightswatch, Harrenhal, The Brotherhood and Melisandre...

I don't need every character arc to end with their death or last until the end of the show.

I think we will definitely see the Brotherhood again, perhaps Lancel, perhaps Benjen, perhaps Gendry, perhaps Olenna. We will certainly see the Blakfish again (and the Freys) as he wouldn't managed to escape the massacre otherwise. But I don't need to follow the story of every living member of every family.

Edited by arry the orphan
  • Love 1

Arry: Sure but Gendry >>> Lancel, HotPie, Hill Tribes, etc.

I don't think we need to know the fate of every character, but someone with "kings blood"? Yeah, I think we need resolution. I do. Even Benjen was one of several brothers. I want to know his fate, and think it is sort of weird and borderline comical that everyone seems to have forgotten about him, but I don't need resolution. Gendry is too important a piece to just drop w/o any explanation IMO. Even a character saying 'we found this overturned boat called the S.S. Dragon Minnow floating in the KL harbor. I guess it came from Dragonstone. I hope whoever was on-board could swim; otherwise - no survivors' I could go OK, Gendry is probably dead, and move on. Until then Gendry is too important to just Benjen away.

• Love 2

I don't see how Gendry is so important. He doesn't know he's robert's bastard, and robert, by all accounts had Many Bastards.

Hell, he may even have a lordly one or two floating around (aka he managed to "seduce" a lady).

(edited)

Gendry knows that he is Roberts bastard! Melisandre told him, when they sailed past Kings Landing! Gendry was necessary in Season 1, in order to help Ned figure out the incest mystery. However I think Genrys role after that was just survive (against all odds). Joffrey wanted him dead, the soldiers in Harrenhal wanted to feed him to the rats, Stannis wanted to burn him, but Gendry survived (at least as far as we know). Perhaps Gendry rowing into the sunset is one of the rare happy ends in Game of Thrones. I wouldn't worry about Gendry, he is strong, good-looking, competent and has a valuabe profession (as shown by Tywin and the Brotherhood). Most importantly he has no ambition to play the dangerous game of thrones. He can get a job in any castle or village he likes and live a happy life.

Edited by arry the orphan
  • Love 2

Yes, he actually does know he's Robert's bastard son.  He also knows that's why he was sold by the Brotherhood.

arrty the Orphan:  However I think Genrys role after that was just survive (against all odds).

I agree, and that's part of the reason I'd like to know if he did.  I'm with White Stumbler.  It's not that I need the kid to have his own giant arc.  I'd just like a bit more resolution than, "Off you go to sea, in a little rowboat....unable to swim."  Even if it's a Silence of Lambs style ending where all I see is him disappearing into the crowd at King's Landing?  Fine.  

By the way, this has always been my pet theory about Hotpie:  I think the actor's parents weren't too jazzed about a role for their young, impressionable son that consisted of every other character referring to him as either fat, or stupid (sometimes both) as well as lazy.  So I think that's why Hotpie got the end he did.  I've no clue if that's the truth, but I just tell myself the actor's parents withdrew him from the project and A Show -- perhaps seeing their point -- obliged [/complete fanwank]

This show does seem fine with having characters disappear for a season or two and then coming back. Bedric Donaldson (or whatever) and Thorne come to mind. - TellSackett

Never underestimate the power of the Milk Carton Campaign!  If the Unsullied hadn't worked so hard complaining about the absence of certain characters they may never have re-appeared. ;-)

Not that we've been 100% successful, but then Milk Carton Campaigns never are. :-(

• Love 1
(edited)

What is the opposite of a Milk Carton Campaign? I am imagining a black and white woodblock illustration of Littlefinger...

OOh! Now that's a concept I could get into.  Sadly more for real life than for the show.

As for Littlefinger, Bolton et al.  Your black & white woodcut image sounds like the Old West "Wanted: Dead..."  Posters.

And Yes, gingerella... BENJEN!  Guess he is a long term campaign.

Edited by Anothermi
  • Love 1