Type keyword(s) to search

On My Block - General Discussion

Dee
  • Start Topic

On 3/15/2020 at 9:57 AM, Neurochick said:

I loved this season and I really loved the ending, which to me worked as a series finale.

I loved the ending as well, although it definitely made me cry.  I would like to see another season of them coming back together one last time.  

• Love 2

Definitely the strongest season with the usual combination of slightly gross, slapstick comedy mixed with serious drama that they manage to pull off. The last five minutes was a very interesting cliffhanger. Monse being in her new life with new friends felt natural and normal but Jamal in his football jersey was a no go.  He hated football.  Ruby and Jasmine, still together, but dressing in a completely different way, much darker and more conservative.  Jamal and Ruby sharing a look that felt less awkward and more haunted.  Like looking at each other was a terrible reminder of something that happened.  Spooky deserved his happy ending although that hair was....not good.  Finally, Cesar the head of the Santos, out of school and looking like a completely different person was a great stunner.  So basically the Freeridge kids are completely topsy turvy in their lives and Monse has completely fallen out of step with them.  Why? I guess Season 4 will explain it.  My guess is Season 4 will be the last one, bringing Monse back to Freeridge and the estranged crew to solve their last problem, probably involving Cesar and the Santos' before they all make peace, but ultimately go in their true separate directions.  Can't wait for it, this has been such a great series.

• Love 2

I binged all 3 seasons of this show over 3 days, and I liked almost all of the characters. I think the writers and actors did a pretty great job of creating funny moments without having to resort to out-of-character behavior to get there. My favorites were Jasmine, Ruby, Spooky, and Monse, because they got the most emotional responses out of me.

The actress who plays Jasmine really blossomed once they made her a person instead of a joke, and she brought tears to me eyes more than once. I loved that she could make me cry laughing and just plain make me cry in the space of a few minutes. Damn, girl.

Ruby in early S2 was great, as well, although I don't think I had quite the same emotional response to him in S3. I have no idea how old the actor is, but I'm assuming he's older than he looks. He does an incredible job of projecting youthful vulnerability and impulsiveness (though the baby face definitely helps), and he nailed some pretty emotional scenes.

The actor who played Spooky occasionally annoyed me with that tough-guy jaw-clench, but in the scenes were he got emotional, he sold it in a way I did not expect. I think my biggest cry of the series (outside of the obvious S1 finale/S2 premiere emotional punch) was the scene where his father left. He sold the hell out of all those conflicting emotions. (Also, I have to say that I'm really glad the writers kept Spooky and Monse apart most of the time. I think the friction of their personality types together would have created quite a 'shipper following, and that 'ship was not something that needed to happen.)

I liked Monse as a character despite being annoyed by her at times. Her characterization was pretty consistent, and while her tendency to alternate martyring herself for others with lying to keep her chosen family chill could be annoying, it made a lot of sense given her blood family background. No matter what she said, a part of her saw her mother as selfish even before she met her, and she didn't want to be like her. Someone else also said that they liked that she wasn't just a stereotypical guy's guy who let them slide on their gross behavior, and I agree. The only thing that really bothered me was that the actress had a tendency to respond to other characters' dialogue too quickly. Like she knew her lines so well that she just started talking immediately without the type of pause you would usually see from someone processing another's words. She did get better about it, though, and I think I eventually just started to see it as a character trait rather than an actor flaw.

Jamal went both ways for me. I liked him at times, and other times he could be a little much. I loved his relationship with abuelita, including how bizarrely inappropriate it was sometimes (which just oddly served to accentuate his innocence). I was less enthused about his relationship with Chivo. They played it for laughs, but some of the things Jamal did to him, especially when Chivo was in the hospital, just felt more like Jamal thoughtlessly abusing a mentally ill/intellectually disabled person. It was supposed to be funny, but I literally flinched when he started smacking unconscious Chivo in the face. 

Cesar was the only real sore spot. I really thought the actor was terrible, and I just couldn't get past it. He didn't make me cry, he only made me laugh because his fake crying was so bad, and he spent 70% of the show sporting a "broody" expression that looked more like constipation. There were so many times when the actor he was sharing the scene with (usually Monse or Spooky) was doing a really great job, and he just seemed so incredibly fake by comparison.

I think the S3 finale definitely worked as a series finale, so I don't need a S4, but I would still watch one.

Edited by LaMatadita
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 3/15/2020 at 9:57 AM, Neurochick said:

I loved this season and I really loved the ending, which to me worked as a series finale.  I don't want a season four.  Let the show go, period, end of story.

I just finished this season.  I almost didn't watch because I wasn't a huge fan of Season 2. However, I'm glad I did watch. It was a good season with an ending that was very realistic. Despite the gang having been friends for a long time, those high school friendships don't always last forever. People do grow apart and move on. And considering the devastating experiences the friends had together and that they all lost themselves in the Rollerworld case, to the point of actually plotting a murder, I can see how that would cause an estrangement amongst them. They don't hate each other, but because of what they almost did, they made the decision to move on from each other. 

On 3/21/2020 at 3:25 AM, Vella said:

Jamal in his football jersey was a no go.  He hated football.  

I was surprised to see Jamal playing football too. But again, when thinking about what he (and his friends) had been through over the past couple of years, it made sense that he would seek out some sense of normalcy. 

Jasmine finally got Rudy, which means he doesn't have to masturbate anymore, or perhaps not as much.  LOL. Spooky likely used the Rollerworld money to exchange his gang life for a normal life. And Cesar, who was always teetering on the edge of criminality, finally went dark side, when Monse found a new life, new friends etc., at the boarding school and likely broke up with him; his friendship with Jamal and Ruby never recovered and his father likely never returning to the neighborhood. Ironically, he now has the rage that was driving Spooky all those years. I think he always had it but that his friendships with Monse, Ruby and Jamal saved him. When they disappeared from his life, he embraced the rage and subsequently the gang life. 

I was satisfied with this ending and don't need another season. Like others, I think it is a good series finale.  

Edited by Enero
  • Love 2
On 1/30/2021 at 1:51 PM, luckyroll3 said:

tenor.gif

I just finished watching the series on Netflix and found it very nice, as regards the ending well!  it must be said that Monse said love and friendship but then she instead she deleted them all from her life and obviously she was so in love with Cesar that she left him breaking his heart and he ended up like his brother

This show is entirely too addictive. I binged it in way too short a time. 

I really cared for all of the characters, even if I accidentally read about Olivia ahead of time so it lacked some impact. 

I think Jamal's turn to football isn't that surprising. Apparently, Monse's fear about the fam falling apart after she left came true and Jamal isn't the type who can or really should be alone in Freeridge. Football team isn't such a bad place to go. Certainly better than a gang.

Oof, seeing Cesar stepping into Spooky's shoes was tough. Not unexpected but still rough to see. And speaking of Cesar, I'm unclear on something. Ray was in jail for most of his life and Oscar was the one doing most of the raising because their mom "wasn't there even if she was there". Only, we never see their mom on the show, and Oscar got out after four years right at the start. So who the hell took care of Cesar between the ages of ten and fourteen? It was rough watching 14-year-old Cesar trying to find a place to stay and be safe, but thinking he was having to do this at 10... Jesus. 

It's good that Ruby and Jasmine still have each other down the line even if they look depressed as hell. And Ruby's hair isn't popping. Ruby, honey. Sigh. 

Good for Monse for seeming to take the most out of her new life and building a relationship with her siblings as well. But while it's realistic that these kids might not be friends for life, their alienation still hurts because they really sold their love and devotion to each other. Sure, they were petty AF at times but hilariously so. Even Monse and Cesar, which I was sceptical about at first, didn't seem to just be suffering from an onslaught of hormones, but honestly in love. 

Speaking of an onslaught of hormones, whatever happened to Mario after he learned he wasn't the baby daddy? Did he go back to school? He just wasn't in the house after that. 

• Love 2

‘On My Block’ Spinoff Series ‘Freeridge’ Set At Netflix

Netflix’s On My Block might be gearing up to premiere its fourth and final season on Oct. 4, but its universe is expanding with the spinoff series Freeridge.

The streamer revealed on Monday that the female-driven, YA comedy will follow a new crew of friends from the titular fictional California city where On My Block is set, who may or may not have unleashed a deadly curse kicking off an unforgettable adventure.

• Love 1

The separation in the first episode is making me feel verklempt. 😔 I also keep fearfully switching between who I think might end up dunzo. Including Oscar's girlfriend who I really like.

Speaking of Oscar, he looks as weird with hair as Ruby with whatever od going on there. I need to know what happened there. Did he get caught in a weed whacker during one of his and Jasmine's marathon sexcapades?

I cannot believe there's was practically no Monse in the entire episode. Like, of course Cesar only knows her number. Who knows how many times the idiot has dialed her number over the past two years.

I'm a real boy! Hee.

Edited by bijoux
  • Love 1

Kind of late since I just recently finished the series but to save time, I'm gonna give my thoughts on just the final season. 

Spoiler

Judging from the bad camera angles, especially in the first couple episodes, you could easily tell this season was shot during covid. (characters having to stand far apart due to social distancing guidelines) 

Never understood why they did the thing with Jamal suddenly having a hard on for Monse, pointless and it didn't go anywhere.  

I do feel like Oscar's death was very predictable, once he stepped outside and was talking about how excited he was to begin his new life with his wife over the phone, I knew it was a wrap. It was never revealed who killed him (and possibly for the better) since Ceaser would've came after the perps and would've risked a life sentence. It did tug a few heart strings during the scene where Ceaser was getting ready for prom in the finale and Oscar's ghost was teaching him how to tie his tie. Bittersweet scenes like that tend to feel more sad than outright sour ones. "I heard, I listened, I wanna be somebody"

I am glad that Oscar and Ceaser's finally moment was a good one 

I'm shocked Ruby had the fortitude to visit Latrelle after he knew he murdered Olivia. Even though Ruby was able to forgive Latrelle's actions, the system will not, and he will likely be behind bars until death. 

Abuelita's death was predictable and untimely. I knew it was over for her once I found out she was diagnosed with cancer. I also knew that she passed away once I saw Ruby's parents holding each other's hands on the kitchen table after the gang got back from prom.

They should've given season 4 three extra episodes so the finale could've been split into three parts, the first part should've been senior prom and the last part should've been their graduation, and the epilogue scene should have been abuelita's memorial service. 

Overall season 4 was lackluster compared to the first three seasons, but overall a decent show. Season 4 was anti climatic and slow paced. I'm glad they didn't drag the show any further after this. 

• Like 1