Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: The Passenger

"We have no more than 10 minutes of breathing air in here."

Isn't that something they should've scanned for before they beamed over?

Lol at Quark, searching the floor for coins and jewelry, on his hands and knees.

If you do freeze by frame, you can see Bashir throwing Quark forward.

I like that George Primmin learned something from Odo, and proved to be competent on his own.

Siddig's acting as Vantika is just so very very bad.

• Love 1
(edited)

Well. this episode was.. less than stellar.

If you do freeze by frame, you can see Bashir throwing Quark forward.

Good eye, Meushell!  I was just going to say that the editing for this one is not great; they TOTALLY gave away the "big reveal" way earlier than they intended to. If you look at the scene where the woman gets thrown from the balcony, you can see that it's Bashir due to the sloppy editing! (I mean, I figured it out WAY sooner than that, [bashir WAS the only possible choice for the possesion!), but that sloppy editing was just terrible.

Well I like Siddig El Faldil, it's annoying how he seems to equate "whispering" with being "menacing".  Anytime he growled out "Rao Vantika" I can't help but giggle to myself. 

And we still have "Move Along Home" to look forward to.... {UGH].

Edited by ShadowDenizen
  • Love 1

Well. this episode was.. less than stellar.

Good eye, Meushell!  I was just going to say that the editing for this one is not great; they TOTALLY gave away the "big reveal" way earlier than they intended to. If you look at the scene where the woman gets thrown from the balcony, you can see that it's Bashir due to the sloppy editing! (I mean, I figured it out WAY sooner than that, [bashir WAS the only possible choice for the possesion!), but that sloppy editing was just terrible.

Well I like Siddig El Faldil, it's annoying how he seems to equate "whispering" with being "menacing".  Anytime he growled out "Rao Vantika" I can't help but giggle to myself. 

And we still have "Move Along Home" to look forward to.... {UGH].

Very sloppy editing - I am surprised they didn't use say, Siddig's stand-in or something to further "hide" his identity. Bashir was always one of my favorite characters (though yes, was obnoxious season 1+), and I think he is a really excellent actor, but in this episode...eh, not so much. This one is not one of my rewatchables.

I think the end needed to be a bit more action packed. Simply having a slow-moving/talking Bashir on the bridge of the ship was very anti-climatic. A phaser-fight in the promenade as he tries to escape may have been more entertaining, since they cannot kill Bashir, but he's trying to kill them.

• Love 1

Totally agree with that last part.

They really missed the boat with this ep, but the COULD have made it better wiht maybe a little more action,

Also, this was one of the few DS9 episodes where I felt like there were scenes "missing", like they'd been cut for time....

• Love 1
(edited)

I think the end needed to be a bit more action packed. Simply having a slow-moving/talking Bashir on the bridge of the ship was very anti-climatic. A phaser-fight in the promenade as he tries to escape may have been more entertaining, since they cannot kill Bashir, but he's trying to kill them.

You mean "That's...not...possible..." (with emphasis on every word ) isn't exciting? Lol.

Interesting that in just the previous episode they had "will the ship get away" drama. It was done much better before. They also had "the ship is trying to get away" drama at the end of Babel. Again, it was done much better. They really should have done something else in this episode.

I do like that Bashir didn't act right away after gaining control, due to being confused. It is a little odd that he starts telling them it is him after being beamed over. Shouldn't he still be completely baffled?

Edited by Meushell

This episode seemed a little, well, hmmmm, disjointed is all I can say.  I enjoyed the story, and they had me with the Bashir thing, but dang.  I guess what was said upthread about the editing, maybe that was it.

I loved how at the end the girl just shot the "essence" of Vantika. 

Again, loving Kira, her facial expressions are just about everything.  ::giggle::

• Love 1

I can never get past the whole "You only use 1% of your mind" bullshit as a justification for how the guy can hijack Bashir's brain. This may be widely stated, but it's completely false (it's possible that only 1% of your brain might be active at any moment, maybe, but there aren't massive segments of your brain that are permanently unused). If they'd said there was a chip that was re-writing his brain it would be unlikely, but excusable with massively advanced future tech (of course, that would make it harder to "cure" Bashir at the end).

• Love 2

I can never get past the whole "You only use 1% of your mind" bullshit as a justification for how the guy can hijack Bashir's brain.

There is a new movie with a story based on the expanded mind premise. It really bothers me also considering all of this was debunked a while back. But maybe not as way back as 1993?

I was watching the episode at the gym on my phone and so was listening more than watching. The voice of the baddie was so obviously Julian, so no mystery here. 

Are they saying that his consciousness was really in Julian or that a "backup" of his thoughts and memories were there. Was the phaser shot at the end murder or just destroying a backup?

Are they saying that his consciousness was really in Julian or that a "backup" of his thoughts and memories were there. Was the phaser shot at the end murder or just destroying a backup?

Based on the description of how it works, it was really a backup. The backup was killed at the end of the episode, but the backup was all there was left. The real guy died in the fire.

I don't think it was supposed to be thought of as a backup though, but the real guy all along.

The voice of the baddie was so obviously Julian, so no mystery here. 

Unfortunately,  El Fadil's acting ability was somewhat limited in that he was unable to completely hide is accent. Which made the whole possession concept somewhat hard to swallow, frankly. 

Edited by iMonrey

I wasn't paying a lot of attention, but at the end all I could see was the Amazon Echo Dot device. I have a friend who has one and is a big Star Trek Fan, she calls hers "Computer". I sent her a message about the episode, she said she'll have to find it and watch it.