Type keyword(s) to search

Jonah and Amy

I thought we could use a thread for the show's main couple. What I like most about Jonah and Amy is how he puts her needs first and encourages her to think about herself, like when he encouraged her to keep the money she found in Lost and Found. And of course the pep talk he gave her at Cheyenne's wedding, before the "sexy" debacle. They are this show's Jim and Pam, although for my money they are much more likeable.

What do you all think of them? Do you think they have chemistry? Can they work long term? Do you prefer him with Kelly?

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 2

I've seen a lot of comments around here from people who don't think they have much chemistry and do not make a good couple.  I dunno.  How many couples in real life do you know who have "chemistry"?  Not sure it's that big a deal.

Kelly's pretty good but they are writing her as sort of an airhead while Jonah and Amy are both supposed to be too good to work in a big box store.  This show seemed rather misanthropic in its first season - showed contempt for big box store customers and maybe employees too.  It's gotten more humanistic, and I don't get the impression the writers have contempt for Kelly.

I'm fine with there not being any particular forward progress with the relationship any couple on this show.  I'm also fine if they go in one direction or another.  I don't think any path will ruin the show.  Friends got Rachel and Ross together in a couple seasons and then continued to split them up and put them back together for many subsequent seasons.  I don't think any pairing is necessarily a mistake.

Edited by Roaster
typo
  • Love 1
On 2/9/2018 at 3:36 PM, Roaster said:

I've seen a lot of comments around here from people who don't think they have much chemistry and do not make a good couple.  I dunno.  How many couples in real life do you know who have "chemistry"?  Not sure it's that big a deal.

Kelly's pretty good but they are writing her as sort of an airhead while Jonah and Amy are both supposed to be too good to work in a big box store.  This show seemed rather misanthropic in its first season - showed contempt for big box store customers and maybe employees too.  It's gotten more humanistic, and I don't get the impression the writers have contempt for Kelly.

I'm fine with there not being any particular forward progress with the relationship any couple on this show.  I'm also fine if they go in one direction or another.  I don't think any path will ruin the show.  Friends got Rachel and Ross together in a couple seasons and then continued to split them up and put them back together for many subsequent seasons.  I don't think any pairing is necessarily a mistake.

I like Amy and Jonah, both as friends as possibly something more. From the first episode, Amy has always challenged Jonah’s ‘I’m so smart’ schtick’ head-on. At the same time, she thinks (knows) she’s smart, too, and she seems to enjoy having conversations and exchanging banter with a co-worker who isn’t as dumb as a bag of rocks. Although Garrett and Dina are intelligent, too. But personality-wise, Amy gets along best with Jonah. At least she used to. He’s been the only person at work besides Glenn that she could have real conversations with about why she got married so young, how that has affected her, and how she feels about her divorce. And he’s never teased her about her divorce or accused her of being desperate and horny. And she’s definitely jealous about Jonah dating Kelly, although I don’t think she’s even admitted that to herself yet. 

On the flip side, Jonah has always been attracted to Amy. At the beginning of the series, he planned to ask her out till he found out she was married. In the episodes where they spent time together (e.g., Election, and Spokesman Scandal). In ‘Mannequin’, they spend the entire episode teasing and flirting with each other—and Jonah went so far as to buy a blow up doll that was supposed to look like Amy. He always felt jealous? nervous? around Amy’s husband. And he was certainly jealous when Amy hooked up with Tate. I don’t put much stock in their kiss since they both thought they were going to die.  

I don’t have a problem with Kelly overall. She’s friendly and nice, but like most Cloud 9 employees, she won’t be winning a MacArthur genius grant anytime soon.

• Love 3

I think I'm getting ready to meet someone, because I notice I've started taking an interest in TV couples, when I've been kind of annoyed by them more often than not in the past few years. Amy and Jonah are no exception. At first I was irritated, but I've come around.  I like that they have a basis in friendship and they challenge each other but not in that bickering or demeaning way that TV seems to find funny but I never do.

I don't want them to drag it out forever like The Office did with Jim and Pam, though. They need to decide if they can write a credible and interesting relationship, and move it along or drop it, and not just waste time with longing and teases. I'm OK with Amy and the beverage guy for now, because it shows that Jonah isn't just a rebound. But I really don't want to see season after season of will they-won't they and get together/break up/get back together.

So, don't let this be like Friends or The Office. Make it something new.

• Love 3

Pam and Jim got together by the end of S3 or the 53rd episode of the Office. We're at the 51st episode of Superstore so Amy and Jonah are proceeding at the same pace as the Office (and really any recent sitcom with a will-they-won't-they element). Also the Ross and Rachel thing is overblown. Ross and Rachel get together near the beginning of season 2 and then broke up in the middle of season 3. They had a few teases through the run (most notably when Rachel got pregnant) but they only got back together at the end of the series.  The on-and-off thing is probably more of a Sam and Diane thing.

Getting back to Amy and Jonah one of the things I appreciate is that it effectively took the possibility of a relationship off the table for a short period of time so that the relationship could develop without that one-sided stalkerish pining that tends to happens. 

I got completely addicted to this show in the last month thanks to the evolving of this central romance. Seriously binged watched, fanfic, fanvids and now, the ultimate, signing up to a forum because I have so many thoughts but livejournal got sold to the Russians years ago. So hi, everyone. Apologies in advance for the word vomit of passionate opinions.

• Love 1