Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: The Buying Game

I'm having trouble posting ever since the update finished, so let's see if I can get this to work (and apologies if it accidentally posts more than once):

Whenever some teenager in a store calls me "ma'am," I hear Grace in my head wailing to Mr. Hutt, "Do I look like a ma'am to you????"

You made some great points about how Grace set a terrible precedent, behaving the way she did in order to manipulate Mr. Hutt. I agree. 

But I will say that when this episode first aired, I remember not expecting it, so I was as stunned as Will when Grace suddenly switched gears from sobbing wreck to master manipulator. And back then, I remember laughing in surprise, and giving a little cheer for Grace, because if these guys weren't ever going to take her seriously enough to do real negotiations, then I had no problem with her screwing with Mr. Hutt. "You think I'm a silly woman whose head is filled with pillow filler? I'll show you..." After the way Will treated her, I had no problem with that. But you're right - it seems the show didn't know what point it was trying to make, thus making it kind of messy. But the surprise element was still funny to me.

Side note: I love everything about the Jack and Karen scenes in this episode. Karen is SO funny, I love that Jack has this hidden talent, and I love Jack's reactions as it builds to the end and he snaps. Great comedy from both of them.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, sinkwriter said:

I'm having trouble posting ever since the update finished, so let's see if I can get this to work (and apologies if it accidentally posts more than once):

Whenever some teenager in a store calls me "ma'am," I hear Grace in my head wailing to Mr. Hutt, "Do I look like a ma'am to you????"

You made some great points about how Grace set a terrible precedent, behaving the way she did in order to manipulate Mr. Hutt. I agree. 

But I will say that when this episode first aired, I remember not expecting it, so I was as stunned as Will when Grace suddenly switched gears from sobbing wreck to master manipulator. And back then, I remember laughing in surprise, and giving a little cheer for Grace, because if these guys weren't ever going to take her seriously enough to do real negotiations, then I had no problem with her screwing with Mr. Hutt. "You think I'm a silly woman whose head is filled with pillow filler? I'll show you..." After the way Will treated her, I had no problem with that. But you're right - it seems the show didn't know what point it was trying to make, thus making it kind of messy. But the surprise element was still funny to me.

Side note: I love everything about the Jack and Karen scenes in this episode. Karen is SO funny, I love that Jack has this hidden talent, and I love Jack's reactions as it builds to the end and he snaps. Great comedy from both of them.

It's one of the many problems I had with the show; giving and taking away IQ points from Grace! She's a freakin' chameleon I just don't know; except for her dependence on Will of course! When he cuts her off at the knees, she really went all the way, all but calling him a miserable fruit before leaving! IMO she's just not likeable! ;-)