Type keyword(s) to search

The Soviet Union is No More: Casting News, Story Arc Info

27 minutes ago, Plums said:

so, Mo Ryan, with her early access as a reviewer, gave an extremely vague hint on twitter about the finale, saying that there's at least one if not two scenes with music that are going to be major tearjerkers. Someone replied that they looked up songs from 1987 and that they think they know what song she's referring to, and she said they might have. And that it's not Peter Gabriel. I just looked up 1987 songs and THERE ARE SO MANY POSSIBILITIES. I wish she hadn't said anything, tbh, because this is infuriating. 

It annoys me when people who've seen a show finale before the general public make vague references like that. It's a privilege to see the episodes early, one they've been granted out of professional courtesy. So you'd think they'd show professional courtesy back to the show by not dropping little hints. Even if this is a stupid hint, because we're all expecting songs and tears, it is still annoying to have a critic do this. I'd prefer them not to even say they've seen it, but if they have seen it, they should not say anything about it. It really does seem unprofessional. 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, hellmouse said:

It annoys me when people who've seen a show finale before the general public make vague references like that. It's a privilege to see the episodes early, one they've been granted out of professional courtesy. So you'd think they'd show professional courtesy back to the show by not dropping little hints. Even if this is a stupid hint, because we're all expecting songs and tears, it is still annoying to have a critic do this. I'd prefer them not to even say they've seen it, but if they have seen it, they should not say anything about it. It really does seem unprofessional. 

Yeah, I saw her just say that she'd seen it and wanted to tell her to STFU even about that. It's a really annoying way to get attention.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Dev F said:

Agent Bartholomew was the original head of Counterintelligence, played by Michael Gaston in the pilot. He was replaced by Richard Thomas as Agent Gaad for the series, with the explanation that Bartholomew had been reassigned after taking the fall for Timoshev's disappearance.

Interestingly, there's a scene in the pilot that was clearly added in reshoots, where Bartholomew introduces Gaad to Stan as his former deputy to set up that transition. Presumably Gaston was unable to commit to the series, and instead of reshooting all of Bartholomew's scenes with Richard Thomas, it was easier and cheaper to bring Gaston back for a handover scene and establish Gaad as a different character.

Ahhhh, thanks for the correction! I do plan on watching the pilot again before the finale.

2 hours ago, hellmouse said:

I woke up thinking about this show - I am definitely going to have some withdrawal problems in a week or so!

But what I was thinking is that we see Philip call Elizabeth to relay a coded message - topsy turvy - that sets a plan in motion. 

What if he also called Joan the operator to pass along the same message? It would make sense that they would need to notify the Centre if they were blown. He doesn't know at that point that Elizabeth has killed Tatiana and told Claudia about it. He has no reason to think that the KGB would be after them. If that has happened, maybe his message of "illegals with blown cover" is received before the Centre realizes Elizabeth disobeyed orders. So maybe they will have some support plans put in motion to aide their escape. 

I also was thinking about Paige. Maybe circumstances will make it so that the risk of getting Henry becomes too high, and Philip and Elizabeth are faced with the whole family going down together or abandoning one of their children. Maybe Paige will choose to stay in the US with Henry so that he is not alone. That will be her sacrifice, to put her family first in the same way her parents sacrificed to put their country first when they were her age. 

He knows about the priest.  He knows both he and Oleg have been working against a group of high-powered Soviets, well placed in the government, including at center.  He'll know as soon as he talks to Elizabeth about Tatiana and Granny.

2 hours ago, BingeyKohan said:

I so want to see Joan again. She needs a send-off!

I woke up thinking about the coded phone call as well! Except Elizabeth’s part of it, ‘try not to wake me up.’ It strikes me that when she and Phil put that phrase in place they couldn’t have anticipated the awakening she would have undergone by the time it came to use it. (Now it sounds like a dare almost - just try not to wake me up.) It seems like another sign they have stayed too long at the fair.

You always have a reply to a coded message when you are a spy.  In this case, her reply meant "message received, am acting now as we've planned."  They probably had other planned responses to indicate other things, like something saying "I'm already followed, but will try to get away." (I made meat loaf, you can heat some up when you get home.) or even a phrase if she were already caught and being monitored on the phone.  (OK, try to get home soon honey.) 

2 hours ago, Plums said:

so, Mo Ryan, with her early access as a reviewer, gave an extremely vague hint on twitter about the finale, saying that there's at least one if not two scenes with music that are going to be major tearjerkers. Someone replied that they looked up songs from 1987 and that they think they know what song she's referring to, and she said they might have. And that it's not Peter Gabriel. I just looked up 1987 songs and THERE ARE SO MANY POSSIBILITIES. I wish she hadn't said anything, tbh, because this is infuriating. 

Honestly, anyone who didn't expect tears and a music montage or two is an idiot.  I don't think Mo gave anything away.  The one thing the actors and writers have sad is that they cried when they read the script/saw it play out.

We've been guessing the 1987 songs for a few weeks now in one of the ending supposition threads here.  I remember thinking U-2, but there are several good choices there, and they certainly don't have to go with '87.

(edited)

Sorry, wrong thread!   

2 hours ago, Umbelina said:

He knows about the priest.  He knows both he and Oleg have been working against a group of high-powered Soviets, well placed in the government, including at center.  He'll know as soon as he talks to Elizabeth about Tatiana and Granny.

You always have a reply to a coded message when you are a spy.  In this case, her reply meant "message received, am acting now as we've planned."  They probably had other planned responses to indicate other things, like something saying "I'm already followed, but will try to get away." (I made meat loaf, you can heat some up when you get home.) or even a phrase if she were already caught and being monitored on the phone.  (OK, try to get home soon honey.) 

Honestly, anyone who didn't expect tears and a music montage or two is an idiot.  I don't think Mo gave anything away.  The one thing the actors and writers have sad is that they cried when they read the script/saw it play out.

We've been guessing the 1987 songs for a few weeks now in one of the ending supposition threads here.  I remember thinking U-2, but there are several good choices there, and they certainly don't have to go with '87.

Edited by jjj
12 minutes ago, jjj said:

I have not read these "future" speculations, just quoting to say that there are at least two future threads, one without spoilers. 

This is the only spoiler thread.

There are two future threads.

How do you WANT it to end, and How do you think it will end.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Umbelina said:
4 hours ago, hellmouse said:

What if he also called Joan the operator to pass along the same message? It would make sense that they would need to notify the Centre if they were blown. He doesn't know at that point that Elizabeth has killed Tatiana and told Claudia about it. He has no reason to think that the KGB would be after them. If that has happened, maybe his message of "illegals with blown cover" is received before the Centre realizes Elizabeth disobeyed orders. So maybe they will have some support plans put in motion to aide their escape. 

I also was thinking about Paige. Maybe circumstances will make it so that the risk of getting Henry becomes too high, and Philip and Elizabeth are faced with the whole family going down together or abandoning one of their children. Maybe Paige will choose to stay in the US with Henry so that he is not alone. That will be her sacrifice, to put her family first in the same way her parents sacrificed to put their country first when they were her age. 

Right, but he was also just in Chicago so he knows that the FBI was on to Harvest who was also an illegal. For all he knows, the FBI is now onto him and Elizabeth - unrelated to what he's doing with Oleg. The priest being questioned could be the first inkling they have that the FBI have learned some of their tradecraft (using priests, for example). Wouldn't he need to report that to the Centre so that other illegals are aware? 

My thought was that he might have called the Centre before he talks to Elizabeth and learns about Tatiana and Claudia. After talking to her, they may decide they can't trust the Centre. But before talking to her, he might have been thinking that it was his duty to alert them to this huge event of their cover possibly being blown.

ETA - in fact, that might be what makes them decide to go get Henry, because they are afraid the KGB will get him first. Although we are all guessing the KGB is against them now, maybe that is the "curve ball" that has been teased. 

Edited by hellmouse
1 hour ago, Umbelina said:

This is the only spoiler thread.

There are two future threads.

How do you WANT it to end, and How do you think it will end.

I am so sorry!  I thought I was in the episode thread, which had wandered off...  Indeed, this is the place for spoilers!  My apologies to all! 

Casting breakdowns #3

For Season 1:

Irina-mid to late 30s, MUST SPEAK RUSSIAN AND SOME POLISH. A beautiful, intelligent and somwhat mysterious KGB agent.

Note-This was obviously for Philip’s baby mama.

For Season 2:

Pastor Tim-35-40. Wholesome, hip, earthy. A warm, welcoming, appealing young minister. Kind, earnest, thoughtful and passionate about his work.

Alice-mid 30s. Hip, wholesome, warm. A young minister’s wife.

Colonel Oliver North-40. We are seeking someone with a strong resemblance. Fit but trim military build. Commanding, confident, savvy and charismatic. 1 scene in this episode, strong possibility of guest arc down the line.

Note-North shared a credit as story writer for one particular episode(“Martial Eagle”) due to his knowledge about the American government’s covert support of  the Contras in Nicaragua. I guess they couldn’t find an actor to play him, though, so they abandoned the idea of putting him onscreen. Or maybe North didn’t care for the idea?

Lewis-30s-50s. Blue collar/working class. Sweet and gentle, vulnerable and likeable. A truck driver for a waste removal company, he is terrified and easily brought to tears when he runs afoul of Philip and Elizabeth.

Note-Trying to remember if this is the one whose life they spared? There WAS one whose life they spared in an earlier season, right?

Vazir Rana-early 40s. Pakistani. Fluent Urdu a plus. Oxford educated, handsome, a former professional cricket player. A Pakistani intelligence officer with a weakness for beautiful women. 

Note-The first name for this character was changed to Yousaf. “Yousaf” was actually the title for an episode. He found himself involved with poor, doomed Annelise, who was indeed beautiful.

For Season 3:

Kimberly-14-15 years old. We no longer need legal 18 for the role, we are looking for girls true to age. Must be comfortable with strong implied adult content. Looking for actors with depth and tremendous range. Young and naive, Kimberley yearns to be seen as an adult. Though she is no stranger to flirting with college guys and smoking pot under the bleachers at school she is used to living in the shadow of her prettier/more popular best friend. When a much older guy mistakes her for a college student she welcomes the attention and before long her girlish crush looks poised to become something much more...

Note-When I first saw this character description in 2015 I remember thinking she would be a friend of Paige’s! How wrong I was.

• Love 3

Wouldn't it seem that P and E would have had discussions since Henry went to school far away, about how they would handle an emergency bug out?  Since the finale preview seems to indicate they are NH bound, I'm just trying to get the options straight. 

On 5/24/2018 at 10:49 PM, Ellaria Sand said:

This is why I enjoy this forum. Thanks to @hellmouse and @jjj, I am now reconsidering scenes #8 and #10. I assumed that they were talking about Henry. That would be a wild scene: P&E&P show up at Henry’s school, take him out for pizza and announce that they are spies on the lam from the Feds. Henry will look at them with skepticism and decide that working in a tannery is better than life with his crazy family.

However, I don’t think that this trio makes it to NH.

Trusting Oleg doesn’t have to imply that he would help them. They are smart enough to know that they are on their own. Trust can simply mean that Oleg’s commitment to the cause would make him less likely to cooperate with the FBI. 

I don't think 8 and 10 are consecutive.  The "yes" answer seems to come in another scene.  Cheat on the part of the editors. 

(edited)
30 minutes ago, TimWil said:

Lewis-30s-50s. Blue collar/working class. Sweet and gentle, vulnerable and likeable. A truck driver for a waste removal company, he is terrified and easily brought to tears when he runs afoul of Philip and Elizabeth.

Note-Trying to remember if this is the one whose life they spared? There WAS one whose life they spared in an earlier season, right?

Well, they tried to spare him, but it was an awful outcome.  They really have left a terrible trail of cruelty and loss over the years. 

3 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I don't think 8 and 10 are consecutive.  The "yes" answer seems to come in another scene.  Cheat on the part of the editors. 

I think you are right.  And this type of misdirection splicing is very typical in the previews. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 2
(edited)
5 minutes ago, jjj said:

Well, they tried to spare him, but it was an awful outcome.  They really have left a terrible trail of cruelty and loss over the years. 

I think you are right.  And this type of misdirection splicing is very typical in the previews. 

They did it in the previous week.  They reversed the order of dialogue between Stan and Aderholt and left out other sentences.   "E and P Jennings are not Russian spies"  "But what if?" (paraphrasing).

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, GussieK said:

They did it in the previous week.  They reversed the order of dialogue between Stan and Aderholt and left out other sentences.   "E and P Jennings are not Russian spies"  "But what if?" (paraphrasing).

And they did it with Claudia in the season preview, where she says "Stan Beeman".  "You need to take care of him."  Those were two different sentences (and episodes), but spliced as though they were one sentence. (The "take care of" referred to a courier.)

• Love 1
(edited)
32 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Wouldn't it seem that P and E would have had discussions since Henry went to school far away, about how they would handle an emergency bug out?  Since the finale preview seems to indicate they are NH bound, I'm just trying to get the options straight. 

You’re right, and I bet we get some exposition about that in the P and E rendezvous scene. If they had access to their full network maybe they had an operative in place in New Hampshire to get Henry out with a compelling cover story. Maybe the woman Philip talked to on the sidelines of the game earlier this season is like a hockey Aunt Helen, there for Topsy Turvey On Ice!

’we’re in the penalty box. Gonna have to be an away game

Edited by BingeyKohan
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, BingeyKohan said:

You’re right, and I bet we get some exposition about that in the P and E rendezvous scene. If they had access to their full network maybe they had an operative in place in New Hampshire to get Henry out with a compelling cover story. Maybe the woman Philip talked to on the sidelines of the game earlier this season is like a hockey Aunt Helen, there for Topsy Turvey On Ice!

Now I'm picturing Henry getting a call from Philip asking if he can get out and meet them somewhere without anyone knowing, no one can see etc. And Henry saying, "Who is this?" just because Philip sounds so different to him in professional mode.

I'm now officially referring to going to get Henry as Topsy Turvey On Ice!

• Love 2

Does the fact that in some places the finale episode is listed as START and other places Start have any significance?  One being an acronym and the other a point of beginning.  Just curious.  I've seen it listed both ways.  Have the showrunners confirmed it's definitely Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty? 

(edited)

The FX schedule has it listed as START -- so yes, I think it is significant, and refers to the acronym.  Anyone listing it as "Start" may not be attuned to the significance of the acronym in terms of arms reduction talks.   (Kids these days, sheesh.  Get off my lawn...)

Edited by jjj
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, TimWil said:

Casting breakdowns #3

For Season 1:

Irina-mid to late 30s, MUST SPEAK RUSSIAN AND SOME POLISH. A beautiful, intelligent and somwhat mysterious KGB agent.

Note-This was obviously for Philip’s baby mama.

For Season 2:

Pastor Tim-35-40. Wholesome, hip, earthy. A warm, welcoming, appealing young minister. Kind, earnest, thoughtful and passionate about his work.

Alice-mid 30s. Hip, wholesome, warm. A young minister’s wife.

Colonel Oliver North-40. We are seeking someone with a strong resemblance. Fit but trim military build. Commanding, confident, savvy and charismatic. 1 scene in this episode, strong possibility of guest arc down the line.

Note-North shared a credit as story writer for one particular episode(“Martial Eagle”) due to his knowledge about the American government’s covert support of  the Contras in Nicaragua. I guess they couldn’t find an actor to play him, though, so they abandoned the idea of putting him onscreen. Or maybe North didn’t care for the idea?

LARRICK  http://theamericans.wikia.com/wiki/Andrew_Larrick

THIS WAS THE GUY THEY TIED TO THE TREE, PHILIP WANTED TO SPARE HIM, HE DIED ANYWAY.

Vazir Rana-early 40s. Pakistani. Fluent Urdu a plus. Oxford educated, handsome, a former professional cricket player. A Pakistani intelligence officer with a weakness for beautiful women. 

Note-The first name for this character was changed to Yousaf. “Yousaf” was actually the title for an episode. He found himself involved with poor, doomed Annelise, who was indeed beautiful.

For Season 3:

Kimberly-14-15 years old. We no longer need legal 18 for the role, we are looking for girls true to age. Must be comfortable with strong implied adult content. Looking for actors with depth and tremendous range. Young and naive, Kimberley yearns to be seen as an adult. Though she is no stranger to flirting with college guys and smoking pot under the bleachers at school she is used to living in the shadow of her prettier/more popular best friend. When a much older guy mistakes her for a college student she welcomes the attention and before long her girlish crush looks poised to become something much more...

Note-When I first saw this character description in 2015 I remember thinking she would be a friend of Paige’s! How wrong I was.

Answered in the quote.

• Love 1
On 5/25/2018 at 6:33 PM, Anela said:

I don't suppose it's possible that Stan would end up helping them. 

Two weeks ago, I wouldn't have thought so. But Emmerich played Stan so wonderfully last week. He could barely keep his voice steady when he asked, "Is there anything I should know, as an FBI agent, about the Jennings family?" He hoped he could nail them down but dreaded it too. Though introducing Renee and taking Stan off the Russia probe made him a pretty dull character in Season 5, he's suddenly as mixed-up and unable to trust as he was in the first four seasons  He did managed to love and trust Philip. So if he nails him, he'll be victorious as an FBI agent. But one of the big losers will be himself.

In light of all that, I think that, if Stan realized the truth at just the right moment, he could possibly let them go.  I'm hedging a lot on this, I know. But I'm looking forward to Stan nailing them and dreading it, just the way Stan is.

• Love 2
(edited)

I appreciate the play on words in the title "START", and I assume it is a double entendre in both senses of the meaning:  the arms treaty, and someone getting some kind of "start" in this episode.  But it is hard to imagine a "start" for the Jennings; I am thinking more "END".  I am very curious to see how they play with the concept of "start" with these characters.  

3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Does the fact that in some places the finale episode is listed as START and other places Start have any significance?  One being an acronym and the other a point of beginning.  Just curious.  I've seen it listed both ways.  Have the showrunners confirmed it's definitely Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty? 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 3

They haven't confirmed anything.

It's probably got at least two meanings, maybe even more, and one of the is most likely the treaty, since the entire season has been about that.

Claudia mentioned it by name in Summit so it’s on their radar. I think it (START) will get a passing reference as subtext and the traditional meaning of ‘start’ (no acronym) will be the text. 

6 minutes ago, BingeyKohan said:

Claudia mentioned it by name in Summit so it’s on their radar. I think it (START) will get a passing reference as subtext and the traditional meaning of ‘start’ (no acronym) will be the text. 

And also the meaning of the acronym. It seems to me that would be most important--both "sides" (the Jennings and Stan, for instance) reducing their arms/lowering their weapons for the greater peace. Like episodes such as Mutually Assured Destruction. What that would translate to literally I'm not sure, but it seems like both sides would become less aggressive in some way.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

They haven't confirmed anything.

It's probably got at least two meanings, maybe even more, and one of the is most likely the treaty, since the entire season has been about that.

The FX title on the site is all capitals:  "START" -- so, that is the starting point or reference point for whatever unfolds!

2 hours ago, duVerre said:

Two weeks ago, I wouldn't have thought so. But Emmerich played Stan so wonderfully last week. He could barely keep his voice steady when he asked, "Is there anything I should know, as an FBI agent, about the Jennings family?" He hoped he could nail them down but dreaded it too. Though introducing Renee and taking Stan off the Russia probe made him a pretty dull character in Season 5, he's suddenly as mixed-up and unable to trust as he was in the first four seasons  He did managed to love and trust Philip. So if he nails him, he'll be victorious as an FBI agent. But one of the big losers will be himself.

In light of all that, I think that, if Stan realized the truth at just the right moment, he could possibly let them go.  I'm hedging a lot on this, I know. But I'm looking forward to Stan nailing them and dreading it, just the way Stan is.

REF. the boldface.  I have considered if Stan would just STOP right on the edge of confirming who P and E are, but, if he does that, it makes it problematic for him later.  Because, within a couple of days, their absence will draw attention. The travel agency would report P missing. Paige gone from school, Henry not at school.  So, an entire family falls off the face of the planet and they live next door to FBI agent Stan Beeman......plus, now that he has mentioned something to Aderholt.....it would just look very odd.  So, unless, Aderholt is killed, and no one else knows they are suspected, I can't see him acquiescing on what he knows so far.

• Love 1

We do actually know for a fact that Stan will find out. The head of FX made a comment somewhere where he said from the start of the show there had always been the potential for the scene where Stan found out his bff was a Russian spy and now they had filmed that scene.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

REF. the boldface.  I have considered if Stan would just STOP right on the edge of confirming who P and E are, but, if he does that, it makes it problematic for him later.  Because, within a couple of days, their absence will draw attention. The travel agency would report P missing. Paige gone from school, Henry not at school.  So, an entire family falls off the face of the planet and they live next door to FBI agent Stan Beeman......plus, now that he has mentioned something to Aderholt.....it would just look very odd.  So, unless, Aderholt is killed, and no one else knows they are suspected, I can't see him acquiescing on what he knows so far.

I can't imagine Stan backing away from dealing justly with the Jenningses at all -- meaning, bringing them to justice.  He has been hunting for the illegals too long, and looking for proof of Philip/Elizabeth so long, that he will not hesitate now.  And they do have surveillance photos of Philip, and that will nail things for Aderholt and Stan -- he was barely disguised at all.  In my list of scenes for the preview, I said that when Stan says "I'm going to kill 'em", I would bet he is looking at the surveillance photo of Philip.  And by then, they will have Father Andrei in the headquarters, and I have a feeling he will confirm the Stan family/friend photograph as the illegals pretty quickly.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, jjj said:

I can't imagine Stan backing away from dealing justly with the Jenningses at all -- meaning, bringing them to justice.  He has been hunting for the illegals too long, and looking for proof of Philip/Elizabeth so long, that he will not hesitate now.  And they do have surveillance photos of Philip, and that will nail things for Aderholt and Stan -- he was barely disguised at all.  In my list of scenes for the preview, I said that when Stan says "I'm going to kill 'em", I would bet he is looking at the surveillance photo of Philip.  And by then, they will have Father Andrei in the headquarters, and I have a feeling he will confirm the Stan family/friend photograph as the illegals pretty quickly.  

I agree that he will want to bring them to justice. But I could imagine Stan choosing not to use deadly force against the Jenningses. Back in the Season 1 finale, he shot at them and wounded Elizabeth, but he didn't know he was shooting at his neighbors. Now, in the same situation? I could see him shooting at the tires but not at the people. But I don't know.

• Love 1

The binoculars -- what will he be looking at in the distance through his binoculars that will stun him so much?  

I agree it is harder to shoot someone you know than someone you only know as an enemy.  

3 minutes ago, hellmouse said:

I agree that he will want to bring them to justice. But I could imagine Stan choosing not to use deadly force against the Jenningses. Back in the Season 1 finale, he shot at them and wounded Elizabeth, but he didn't know he was shooting at his neighbors. Now, in the same situation? I could see him shooting at the tires but not at the people. But I don't know.

30 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'll have to look at the scene.  (binoculars)  Is it in the Season 6 trailer or something else? 

It is the preview for the finale, which is linked above.  I made a list of the scenes (most of which are not from the finale!), also above.  

Right.  I saw it, again.  It appears that Stan is wearing the same outfit in all the scenes that are from that episode. When he calls them on the phone, says he'll kill him, etc.  I can't tell what the background wall is behind him with the binoculars, though, it appears to be a goldish hue.  Is his office like that? His bedroom?  Could he be looking at their house from his bedroom?  Or, looking down on one of the garages from an upstairs area?  

(edited)
5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Right.  I saw it, again.  It appears that Stan is wearing the same outfit in all the scenes that are from that episode. When he calls them on the phone, says he'll kill him, etc.  I can't tell what the background wall is behind him with the binoculars, though, it appears to be a goldish hue.  Is his office like that? His bedroom?  Could he be looking at their house from his bedroom?  Or, looking down on one of the garages from an upstairs area?  

Funny, I just watched it again and came here to post that he is wearing the same shirt/tie in all his scenes in the preview.  I can't tell where he is in this image, right after he lowers the binoculars.  But when he says "All this time" and looks amazed, I think he might be in the garage'o'wigs.  

5b0b4afa59995_americans5-23-C.png.5989b6fb4fb8650520d8d23a087b0520.png

Edited by jjj

Maybe.....but I would think that he would need to be somewhere that he is viewing something far away.  If he's in their garage, why would he need binoculars to see what is right before him? Not arguing.......just trying to figure it out.  I'll start fresh tomorrow.  This is hard work! lol

(edited)
14 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Maybe.....but I would think that he would need to be somewhere that he is viewing something far away.  If he's in their garage, why would he need binoculars to see what is right before him? Not arguing.......just trying to figure it out.  I'll start fresh tomorrow.  This is hard work! lol

Sorry, two different scenes -- binoculars is one scene (yes, looking at something far away).  A separate scene is when he says "All this time, and appears to be in the spy-garage.  This is when he says "All this time..." -- it is not the basement; is it the garage?  I can't match it to anything we have seen in the garage so maybe it is a new location.  But garage-like: 

americans 5-23-D.png

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1

Interestingly, this scene in the preview, of Elizabeth burning the painting -- was never in the previous episode.   There, they just show her lighting two edges and standing back, then a closeup of the painting, but not this overhead shot in the preview -- and this is a striking image:  

americans 5-23-E.png

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, jjj said:

Sorry, two different scenes -- binoculars is one scene (yes, looking at something far away).  A separate scene is when he says "All this time, and appears to be in the spy-garage.  This is when he says "All this time..." -- it is not the basement; is it the garage?  I can't match it to anything we have seen in the garage so maybe it is a new location.  But garage-like: 

americans 5-23-D.png

Hmmmm I’m going to stick to my story (why not) that in the S6 trailer we’re seeing Renee’s Jeep outside the garage he’s saying this in. Maybe to her? Or the Jeep outside the garage is a red herring (like Renee herself) and Stan was driving her car that day?

I’d imagined the binoculars being outdoors, and he’s watching a Henry retrieval spot. Maybe he doesn’t yet know Paige is in on it and he’s realizing?

6 minutes ago, BingeyKohan said:

Hmmmm I’m going to stick to my story (why not) that in the S6 trailer we’re seeing Renee’s Jeep outside the garage he’s saying this in. Maybe to her? Or the Jeep outside the garage is a red herring (like Renee herself) and Stan was driving her car that day?

I like the idea of Stan driving her car. 

Alternatively, maybe Renee is having an affair and he has seen her with someone through the binoculars. Maybe he pulls her jeep over in order to confront her. While he's spending time being mad at Renee, the Jenningses are making their way North!

I'm sticking with this is still about the Jenningses.  "All this time..."  We shall see soon!  

1 minute ago, hellmouse said:

I like the idea of Stan driving her car. 

9 minutes ago, BingeyKohan said:

On 5/24/2018 at 5:16 PM, Pickles said:

In the previews for next week, when Paige asks "Do you think we can trust him?" is she talking about Henry?

I want P or E to anser her: 'well, HIM running off to tell his pastor is rather unlikely'

• Love 2

Casting breakdowns #4:

For Season 5:

Natalie Granholm/Natalia Konina-55-65. Russian. Native Russian speakers strongly preferred. Natalie is a loving mother and grandmother who has lived a quiet existence with her husband and family since emigrating to the US over 40 years ago. But Natalie may have a dark past, and when old ghosts come calling she can no longer hide from the life she left behind in Russia. 

Gennadi Bystrov-40’s. A retired hockey player with the build of an athlete who has started to let himself go. Charming, confident, ingratiating. Since retiring from professional sports he often travels between the Soviet Union and the US and has found love with a fellow Russian in America. All he appears to want is peace between East and West but he may or may not have another agenda...

Little Girl-4-6 years old. Russian/Eastern European. A sweet and playful child. Non-speaking, 1 scene.

Note-Awwww. I hope we see her and her adoptive mother in the finale, even if it’s just in a montage.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, TimWil said:

Casting breakdowns #4:

For Season 5:

Natalie Granholm/Natalia Konina-55-65. Russian. Native Russian speakers strongly preferred. Natalie is a loving mother and grandmother who has lived a quiet existence with her husband and family since emigrating to the US over 40 years ago. But Natalie may have a dark past, and when old ghosts come calling she can no longer hide from the life she left behind in Russia. 

Gennadi Bystrov-40’s. A retired hockey player with the build of an athlete who has started to let himself go. Charming, confident, ingratiating. Since retiring from professional sports he often travels between the Soviet Union and the US and has found love with a fellow Russian in America. All he appears to want is peace between East and West but he may or may not have another agenda...

Little Girl-4-6 years old. Russian/Eastern European. A sweet and playful child. Non-speaking, 1 scene.

Note-Awwww. I hope we see her and her adoptive mother in the finale, even if it’s just in a montage.

Have you posted the one for Renee's character yet?  I couldn't find it upthread.  

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Have you posted the one for Renee's character yet?  I couldn't find it upthread.  

No, sorry, because I never saw one! I think for certain characters they didn’t send out breakdowns to agents.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, TimWil said:

No, sorry, because I never saw one! I think for certain characters they didn’t send out breakdowns to agents.

OH no...I was hoping that might prove helpful in our analysis of her character.  Oh well....the mystery continues. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

OH no...I was hoping that might prove helpful in our analysis of her character.  Oh well....the mystery continues. 

When you are a super-secret embedded spy, you can't afford to have your identity leak out in a character description. Smart! 

• Love 4