Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E16: The Runaway Caboose

While on a trip to Springfield, Carl Edwards accidentally releases the brake on a caboose that he, Mary, and Laura are exploring, sending the car -- and the terrified trio -- hurtling down the tracks toward an oncoming express train.

The kids' machinations in getting permission from all their parents to go were totally realistic. As was the parents' willingness to abdicate any decision making responsibility: "Oh, another parent said yes? Great! Now I don't have to put any thought into it!"

• Love 1
On 12/19/2017 at 9:45 AM, StatMom said:

Kim, I also tried to blame my brother for carving words in wood. He is younger than me, and had not yet learned to write. Brilliant.

I tried that once on my brother, and was successful, and he ended up with the ass whipping, rather than I.

I should feel bad about it, but since he turned out to be a particularly ornery drunk as an adult, I don’t :D

In addition to Carl nearly getting everyone killed (and the flat Minnesota farmlands having an unusually long and steep slope for that caboose to zoom for like forty minutes straight), it needs to be said that in this episode Pa became an assaulting horse thief. Yes, I KNOW the runaway caboose was an emergency but he didn't even attempt to ask the rider if he could borrow the horse, just SLUGGED the man right off his saddle then jumped on it and rode off . Back then in many states, horse thievery was a capital crime- yet at no point did anyone mention prosecuting Pa for it (not even when he and the caboose caught up with that other train with all those railroad officials)!

• Love 2