Type keyword(s) to search

S30: Cedric & Shawn

Geenee
  • Start Topic

3ce241857a294beb_ar30_cedric_shawn_800x1

Name: Cedric Ceballos

Instagram: @cedceballos

Current occupation: Retired NBA Player

Three words to describe you: Funny, outgoing, and friendly.

Favorite hobbies: Music, sports, and traveling.

What is the accomplishment you are most proud of?
Being a healthy "Kool" Dad and NBA All-Star.

What scares you most about traveling?
Airport food.

What excites you most about traveling?
Seeing the sites and meeting new people.

What country and place would you most like to visit and why?
Africa, for the weather.

What do you hope to accomplish by running the race (other than winning $1 million)?
[That me and Shawn] stay friends.

Name: Shawn Marion

Instagram: @matrix31
Twitter: @matrix31

Hometown: Chicago, Illinois

Current occupation: Retired NBA athlete and father

Describe what you do: I have a son 40% of the time so I just want to be hands on with him. I'm also an NBA Ambassador where I do meet and greets, clinics, speaking, and engagements.

Three words to describe you: Competitive, stubborn to a degree, and loyal.

Favorite hobbies: Spending time with my son and family, traveling, and shopping.

What is the accomplishment you are most proud of?
Being a father and provider for my family and a champion!!

What scares you most about traveling?
Getting lost and stranded with nothing.

What excites you most about traveling?
New culture, cities, and people.

What country and place would you most like to visit and why?
Abu Dhabi, Bermuda, or Venezuela.

What do you hope to accomplish by running the race (other than winning $1 million)?
Maybe open more doors and opportunities for future endeavors.

Cedric is the oldest but was surprised to hear that he had several heart attacks.

So he played about 20 years ago but with familial responsibilities, he's probably not regularly working out.

Going up and down those streets and buildings probably took a toll.  I don't know why he took that big backpack all over the place though.  The other racers who did that task wasn't hauling around a big backpack.

They used to be such great athletes but most of these tasks aren't going to utilize their physical advantages, like favoring people with height, long reach, able to sprint, jump.

Being tired will lead to little mistakes, overlooking key instructions or details.

They survived the NEL so now they're going to have to make up a lot of time in the next leg.

I am trying to figure out why they are carrying 50 pound back packs. I have been backpacking, and plan to do more, and try and keep my pack to 30 pounds and that includes my sleeping bag, food, cooking stuff, tent, water filtration system and the like. So a 50 pound pack strikes me as totally ridiculous. A few pair of shorts, pants, shirts, undies, socks and medicines. There are massively light weight jackets and clothes out there. A small bottle of Woolite to wash clothes in the sink at the pit stops and you should be good to go.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I am trying to figure out why they are carrying 50 pound back packs. I have been backpacking, and plan to do more, and try and keep my pack to 30 pounds and that includes my sleeping bag, food, cooking stuff, tent, water filtration system and the like. So a 50 pound pack strikes me as totally ridiculous. A few pair of shorts, pants, shirts, undies, socks and medicines. There are massively light weight jackets and clothes out there. A small bottle of Woolite to wash clothes in the sink at the pit stops and you should be good to go.

In my backpacking experience, yes, of course you try to keep things as light as possible, but I believe it is recommended to keep the pack no more than 30% of your body weight.  So a guy who weights 250 pounds (or more?) should be able to carry that weight in normal conditions, since that's only 20% of his weight.  Not that these were normal conditions, especially after 3 heart attacks!  I try to keep my pack to 30, which is about all I can carry all day.  But non-backpackers may not be in the practice of weighing every single piece of gear and counting ounces!

Edited by Special K

I think the reason why Cedric kept his backpack with him was because, what I thought I heard/saw, he said that he thought that HE would be doing the zip-lining(carrying the gnome) so would drop the pack at the start of the zip line.  I don't think he realized that he'd be trotting all over the area like they did.

Yes concerning he had 3 heart attacks (and before the age of 50...) but I doubt TAR would have let him on if they thought he'd have another one ON the race...no? People do come back from heart attacks and become healthier.

I for one hope they stick around longer in the race- they're preferable over a couple of other teams...

I truly love these guys because they're such a pleasant team to watch.   I read somewhere that they're donating any winnings to charity so I hope Cedric can keep up at least for a little while longer.  (plus from the shallow end of the pool I find Cedric to be extremely good looking!)

• Love 1

Did Shawn or Cedric really say that their packs are 50 lbs, or is someone just guessing (or using hyperbole)?  Those are small packs - to get 50lb of stuff in there you'd have to be hauling around bricks.  I've packed a full size travel backpack pretty full, and I don't think it was even 30 lbs. 

Even if it was under 50lbs it still didn't help Cedric.  The zip line explanation makes no sense, though.  If you really thought YOU would be doing the zip line that would be all the more reason to not have your back pack on.

Cedric did say 50 pounds but I figured he was exaggerating in indicating that the backpack was heavy.  As for the zip line, I believe Cedric mentioned thinking he'd have to go back to the starting point to retrieve his backpack if he was the one zip lining so that's why he took it with him.  After realizing he had no choice but to take it with him to follow the gnome he did just that.

These guys didn't have a real shot at the win but they were so pleasant, I hoped they'd stick around longer. They really won me over when they were trading dad jokes with the firefighters.

On 1/19/2018 at 6:39 AM, MyAimIsTrue said:

plus from the shallow end of the pool I find Cedric to be extremely good looking!

I'm here on the shallow end with you. He's a silver fox.

• Love 1

The Globetrotters were more engaging so they were invited back once or twice.

Cedric really tried to do well.  Shawn did as well but probably did it more for his friend.

If they have money they may not sign up to fly coach a lot.  Shawn thought they Cedric was too big for that dinghy so a lot of situations worked against them.

It just dawned on me that Cedric somewhat resembles Idris Elba so no wonder I thought he was good looking.

He and Shawn didn't have that Raaaaace sense of urgency so I wasn't surprised they went out fairly early but I'll still miss them.

On 1/27/2018 at 1:59 PM, scrb said:

The Globetrotters were more engaging so they were invited back once or twice.

I agree, but it’s part of a Globetrotters job to be engaging. They have to play to the audience, not just play basketball, though they have to do that well too, with tricks!