Type keyword(s) to search

Wayward Sisters Spoilers and Speculations

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Anyone know or hear any news about the spin-off from the cons that happened this past weekend. 

Curious if we really will wait until May for a pick-up, could they pick it up alongside season 14 of SPN as early as next month? I know the Originals pilot was picked up immediately the following week but that backdoor pilot aired in April closer to may upfronts. So I'm not so sure about an early pick-up.

On 1/21/2018 at 8:15 PM, nightwing877 said:

Anyone know or hear any news about the spin-off from the cons that happened this past weekend. 

Curious if we really will wait until May for a pick-up, could they pick it up alongside season 14 of SPN as early as next month? I know the Originals pilot was picked up immediately the following week but that backdoor pilot aired in April closer to may upfronts. So I'm not so sure about an early pick-up.

Bits and bobs of spoilery goodness in this panel.

Things I twigged on:
- Kaia's last glare into the camera was an indication they intend to break old tropes (like bury your gays).
- ALL of the actresses have "series lead" contracts.  That's significant.  All 6 (which means it includes Yadi). I've been worried it would be a Kathryn Newton 'show' but I think that's not how it's structured.  I think they will focus on different people for different storylines like any other ensemble show.  I really like this approach.  Each character is worthwhile and interesting to me.   
- They cut a moment just before Jody was about to go into the rift (the first time) where she looks at Donna and says "If I don't come back...." and Donna says "With my life." Just after talking about not being able to lose another child.  So, it showed how tight these women were becuase it didn't need complete sentences and of course Donna was there.

Edited by SueB
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, SueB said:

- Kaia's last glare into the camera was an indication they intend to break old tropes (like bury your gays).

Unless that is the actual Kaia and the one that was killed was not Kaia, then she already was buried. If it turns out the Claire is gay or bi and they fell in love in a day then she was not only a buried gay but also fridged for Claire. Bringing her back as possibly evil is just as bad because then it's the gays are evil trope. Sorry the only way those tropes are subverted is if Kaia was not killed at all and the person in the cloak never died at all. A resurrection is still dead in the first place.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Unless that is the actual Kaia and the one that was killed was not Kaia, then she already was buried. If it turns out the Claire is gay or bi and they fell in love in a day then she was not only a buried gay but also fridged for Claire. Bringing her back as possibly evil is just as bad because then it's the gays are evil trope. Sorry the only way those tropes are subverted is if Kaia was not killed at all and the person in the cloak never died at all. A resurrection is still dead in the first place.

Having watched the Dark!Charlie episode yesterday, I think that's EXACTLY what happens.  In that episode, they lure the wizard to Clive when Clive shoots himself.  So that the wizard can save Clive.  Because if Clive dies, the wizard dies.  So, if Dark!Kaia is still alive, then it's likely that Sweet!Kaia is still alive.  Now, it's possible it's a completely DIFFERENT form of magic, but within the show, that's how the magic works.  And all you need is Dark!Kaia to be some level of magical/spirit-based healer and she could have saved Sweet!Kaia, stored her away in the Bad Place, and then jumped through a rift.  Perhaps she was able to figure out what happened with Jack and leverage that knowledge to allow her to open a rift in the first place.

Short answer: I think it's far more likely Sweet!Kaia is alive than dead.  Now it's fair to say... but at the MOMENT we think Sweet!Kaia died.  However it's a cliffhanger.  And it's Supernatural.  So, since "killing your gays" is a meta issue... I'd say that at the meta level, we have a good chance of speculating Sweet!Kaia is alive and therefore the trope is at least a "suprise" subversion.  Yes, it DOES required the show to be picked up.  But that has to be better than 50/50 odds.  So, they left us a cliffhanger on the character that will pay off that "look".  

Edited by SueB
3 hours ago, catrox14 said:

3 hours ago, SueB said:

Having watched the Dark!Charlie episode yesterday, I think that's EXACTLY what happens.  In that episode, they lure the wizard to Clive when Clive shoots himself.  So that the wizard can save Clive.  Because if Clive dies, the wizard dies.  So, if Dark!Kaia is still alive, then it's likely that Sweet!Kaia is still alive.  Now, it's possible it's a completely DIFFERENT form of magic, but within the show, that's how the magic works.  And all you need is Dark!Kaia to be some level of magical/spirit-based healer and she could have saved Sweet!Kaia, stored her away in the Bad Place, and then jumped through a rift.  Perhaps she was able to figure out what happened with Jack and leverage that knowledge to allow her to open a rift in the first place.

Short answer: I think it's far more likely Sweet!Kaia is alive than dead.  Now it's fair to say... but at the MOMENT we think Sweet!Kaia died.  However it's a cliffhanger.  And it's Supernatural.  So, since "killing your gays" is a meta issue... I'd say that at the meta level, we have a good chance of speculating Sweet!Kaia is alive and therefore the trope is at least a "suprise" subversion.  Yes, it DOES required the show to be picked up.  But that has to be better than 50/50 odds.  So, they left us a cliffhanger on the character that will pay off that "look".  

I have a somewhat different theory to you @SueB, I speculated from the start that Kaia had not been killed and that the figure we saw at the end was her possessed by one of the creatures from the bad place. IMO such a twist would not break the existing rules of the show. We've had instances of characters appearing to be dead but actually aren't (Sam in Red Meat) and possession being used as a method of healing the host (Sam throughout the course of 9A). So I think Kaia being at the death of Death and then possessed isn't too wild a spec on my part.  I'm leaning even more towards this now that it has been stated Yadi too was offered a series lead contract. 

Random note but since the Bad Place is not just a different world, but a completely different universe this is one occasion where I wouldn't care if they threw canon completely out the window with these creatures and introduced say Vampires which turned to dust when staked in the heart Buffy style. That's a silly example by the way. I'm not actually saying I want dust vampires. Just making the point that it's a different universe which could easily be portrayed as holding different rules to the one we know :)