Type keyword(s) to search

A revival rewatch??

• Start Topic

On 1/12/2018 at 8:11 AM, deaja said:

Is this also a Hamilton reference? ;)

Yes! Whao-ah-oh-oh-oooh. :D 

On 1/12/2018 at 9:22 PM, chessiegal said:

ASP was never consistent with money - the same people were either ridiculously rich or poor depending on what plot she was promoting.

Yup. Trix dies, no windfall. Chris's dad died, no windfall. Chris's grandpa died, $$$$$$. And just when Rory thinks Emily and Richard wronged her and Luke needs a fire under him to step up with April. Convenient! It's a good idea to stop going down this rabbit hole because yes, it depended on the plot at hand. 

On 1/13/2018 at 8:37 AM, readster said:

Logan had turned into the very thing he hated, his father

I almost commented on this after Summer. I felt bad for Logan having to be such a sleaze, telling Rory it didn't have to be an issue for her to stay in a hotel since Odette was there. If what Emily said was true about Mitchum still being a player, then yes, Logan has turned into both his own father . . . and Rory's. That's rough. This full circle BS is brutal. 

23 hours ago, stan4 said:

So why that stupid and pointless (and now inconsistent) storyline?

Other than the style of dialogue and Mary Sue-ing Rory, inconsistency is the Palladino's specialty.  

The cemetery instead of the mausoleum and Emily not knowing Kirk were continuity errors I spotted in the trailer (Emily also found out Lorelai was dating Luke from Kirk).  Also, in Fall, Gypsy was fixing Lorelai's jeep and complaining that she should get a new car. Nothing comes of it. Jeep trouble/Lorelai's inability to let it go happened in S7, and helped to get Luke/Lorelai arguing again. We all know the Palladino's were too petty to watch what they didn't write, but I thought I heard that their friends who are superfans filled them in on everything.  I also heard there was someone on the set of the revival who they'd ask 'did this happen in S7' and if no, they'd do it. Whichever the case, they repeated it, and without purpose. Unless to show Lorelai standing still, as she said she felt like she was doing. 

I think it might be because ASP covets total freedom to do whatever she wants, even if it contradicts details she herself wrote at an earlier date. Creative limitation is good, even if a challenge at first. But not something she believes in.   

Edited by nclpllm
  • Love 2

And I’m done.

How long was Lorelai expecting to hike? She has so much stuff.

Jess, “You didn’t give me that [wifi] password for six months and I lived here.” -Did a lot of people have wifi in 2002? Even if they did, Luke wouldn’t, there wasn’t a computer in his apartment. He doesn’t like technology. My first thought was, Jess stayed at Luke’s within the past 9 years?

I’m not into Jess being Mr. All-Knowing-Wise-One. I don’t care that he and Lorelai aren’t buddies, which I know is a cherished dream of shippers. It is a little weird though, that she still rolls her eyes and sounds like they still don’t get along. I’m not offended by it though.

Opinions on the Life and Death Brigade are pretty polarized- love it or hate it. I’m pretty neutral. It’s . . . fine. Weird and unreal. Rory has to say “I’ll be damned,” and later “hell no,” making me wish they wouldn’t make her cuss, pretending like that something she casually does. It's probably AB. And the way they wrote the character for the first five years. 

“You never really needed rescuing, Ace, you know that.” Ha! Haha! Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Again with the unspecified passage of time. How long is this rift between Lorelai and Rory?

Why does Luke still think he would have had to sleep with other women? It’s like when Parker Posey had to ask “What’s ovulation?” in The Return of Jezebel James. Reproductive ignorance in adults is so funny!

How does Rory think she’s going to afford an apartment in New York while she’s writing her life story, like it counts as a steady job? Again, what has she been writing, that she’s racked up all those alleged miles (in reference to ASP defending how a self-proclaimed broke person can fly back and forth to London)? Slate is online and in NY. The New Yorker is obviously in NY. She isn’t a correspondent. And why would they ignore that she wrote for a successful presidential campaign? Lorelai acknowledged she married Chris. Why can’t they recall what Rory did right out of college?

Something I forgot to bring up about Spring, when Rory asked Logan to ask Mitchum to get her a meeting with Conde Nast. Logan said his dad does this kind of thing for mere mortals all the time. Mitchum Huntzberger? Helping other people further their careers? I was led to believe the man was pure evil.   

Rory’s conversation with Chris is really rushed. How on earth is he working for the family business? Straub was a lawyer and Chris didn’t go to college. They just needed to give Chris and Logan another superficial way to appear the same. And a sign of weakness, to work for the family, as the family dictates. It’s dumb that Rory requested that he stay away from the wedding. Palladino’s must not have noticed, as the rest of us have, that the Chris and Lorelai idea was put to bed in S7. The marriage put the nail on the coffin. Three 40-something adults ought to be able to get along by now.

The last 30 minutes has so much packed in (and 3 of the guest appearances), it makes me wonder why we had to suffer through the 5 ½ hours that came before it. Rory talking to Dean is rushed too. She always longs for the safety she felt with him after she’s tossed him aside for someone else.

Michel yelling at Sookie is funny. The waltz reprise was nice, one of the other few things I liked

Yes Lorelai, Rory does suck. Soooo much.  

It was surprisingly bad the first time. It wasn’t better this time, but I couldn’t be surprised by anything. Knowing what was coming softened the blow (except Summer). Watching 45 minutes at a time (some days it was 22) made it a little more bearable. I was still checking how much more I had to go about 15 minutes in though.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, nclpllm said:

Jess, “You didn’t give me that [wifi] password for six months and I lived here.” -Did a lot of people have wifi in 2002? Even if they did, Luke wouldn’t, there wasn’t a computer in his apartment. He doesn’t like technology. My first thought was, Jess stayed at Luke’s within the past 9 years?

I think they were implying that Jess had stayed with Luke recently. Which is nice to see that relationship is still going strong. ?

On 1/19/2018 at 0:17 PM, nclpllm said:

I think this just meant Jess thought living with Luke in the past should automatically give him access to the password over customers or employees.

4 hours ago, shron17 said:

I think this just meant Jess thought living with Luke in the past should automatically give him access to the password over customers or employees.

Well, since he was a little twerp the entire time....

• Love 1

I think I realize now one glaring reason the revival is so terrible.

The show itself had these moments of goofy ridiculousness that made certain scenes or characters or episodes charming.  And it had certain emotional scenes, confrontations, etc, that grounded it and brought you down for a second.  This usually flowed well, because they were sprinkled in here and there.

The revival is like 100% go go go ridiculousness or heart string pulling chaos THE ENTIRE TIME.  So very, very bad.

I think it's funny people claim the 7th season was so different bc ASP didn't have a hand in it.  Geez...she had total control of these 4 episodes are they are NOTHING like the original show.

• Love 7