Type keyword(s) to search

Jackson "Jax" Teller: Mama's Boy or Daddy's Boy?

This season I think the writers are losing viewers because Jax is basically a killing machine backstabbing everyone. The key to a character like Jax is despite their horrible flaws, there needs to remain 1. Some admirable positive attributes and 2. Some empathy for the characters. They have lost that with Jax.

• Love 7

This season I think the writers are losing viewers because Jax is basically a killing machine backstabbing everyone. The key to a character like Jax is despite their horrible flaws, there needs to remain 1. Some admirable positive attributes and 2. Some empathy for the characters. They have lost that with Jax.

I think that's dead on the money, Doc.  One of the reasons Dexter worked so well for so long was that no matter what heinous crimes Dexter committed, he still constantly surprised the viewer by doing the right thing - picking Deb over his brother, Rita and the kids over Lila, etc. 

When you make every single character on the show completely irredemable (with the possible exception of Wendy) you're not leaving the viewer much of a reason to continue to tune in.  I think many of us are still hanging in there because it's the last season and we're dying of curiosity about how they're going to wrap it all up.  If this was not the last season, I likely would have been done after the first episode this season, which could not have been more hateful, brutal and pointless.

It's bad enough to have Gemma still alive and having (so far) gotten away with all the terrible things she's done; to make Jax so stupid as to be buying what is so obviously total bullshit makes him not only vicious but a chowderhead as well.  Hard to root for that. 

Also, I find it hard to believe that someone as sharp as Sutter can try to convince us that street-wise gangs like the Lin Triad, the Niners and the Mayans are all gullible enough to be going blindly along with Jax's crap.  Come on, man, give us a little more credit than that.

If Gemma is the last man standing, so to speak, I may put a brick through my TV.

• Love 4
Also, I find it hard to believe that someone as sharp as Sutter can try to convince us that street-wise gangs like the Lin Triad, the Niners and the Mayans are all gullible enough to be going blindly along with Jax's crap.

I find it hard to believe, too.  The only thing I can think of is that they look down at Jax's blinding white shoes and become mesmerized.  And stupid.

• Love 4

I find it hard to believe, too. The only thing I can think of is that they look down at Jax's blinding white shoes and become mesmerized. And stupid.

Yes indeed. One of the aspects to racism is a general mistrust between 2 different races. They apparently divided the clubs by color-my God, it's always brown, yellow, black even in place of the game names. In my experience, growing up in the south with NO PREJUDICE PERSONALLY AGAINST ANY COLOR, black people make you prove yourself before they hang with you. The mistrust is justified due to history. Weren't the Niners gang JUST approved, last season, by the no-blacks ever Irish that supply all the guns thru SAMCRO? Why the fuck is Tyler blindly trusting? It's like his older brother ran the Niners, he inherited it and has no fucking idea what to do? Why wouldn't it be a partnership instead of Jax giving orders and Tyler just following along? Even now, he caved when Jax got aggressive with the "no. Half in"? I would have strongly come back about protecting me and mine. Like, "Jax, dude, you started this shit and I don't think you fully knew what you were starting? I sure as hell didn't know you were gonna be flailing around. Look at the death toll. I'm gonna have to think a minute".

I am still hoping Alvarez comes out on top. He's been pretty quiet and he knows his hit.

Edited by leisawoo
  • Love 2

Saw Charlie Hunnam in Deadfall last night. His character was very Jax-like - a brooding tough guy who's also somehow always on the verge of tears - so I'm not sure about his range, but he controlled his accent very well.

Jax's English accent always takes me out of the scene, and since he's capable of doing better, I have to lay fault with the SOA director in not requiring it. It's just lazy directing, especially after so many seasons!

PS In Deadfall, Charlie was also quite willing to strip for his art, and for that I thank him.

• Love 3