Type keyword(s) to search

Call the Midwife Rewatch

• Start Topic

Calling the Midwife Fans!

We are going to do an organized rewatch of the early seasons of Call the Midwife!  It's always fun to relive the early days of a show; it's also a great opportunity for anyone who is just starting to watch the show to jump in.

The "official" rewatch will start July 31st.  We will watch 2 episodes a week (of course, you can always watch at your own pace and just jump in the discussion as you see fit!).

We will have a dedicated "rewatch" thread per season.  As far as spoilers, the policy will be if you are in the dedicated rewatch thread, you should not refer to events that occur later in the series without spoiler bars.  All other threads remain the same as usual. The general idea is not to spoil later events for people who are new to the series with the rewatch.

I'm excited and hope to have some good discussion with all of you!  Any questions, let me know!

Oh, fun. I haven't rewatched any of it, so am looking forward to it. Looking at the Netflix descriptions for Series 1, I'd forgotten how focused around Jenny Lee's experiences it was in the beginning (not a spoiler, I don't think), even though that makes sense given the source material.

What a fun thing to do! Unfortunately, I'm swamped at work and don't see myself having time to participate. I do wish instead of having season threads that you were doing a thread per episode, (at least for season 1 & 2 since we don't have any dedicated episode threads for them) then I could participate when I had the time. With just having a season thread I'd be so far behind everyone else I doubt I'd post. Also if someone is a new watcher and gets behind in watching they would get lots of spoilers if they just jump in to the discussion; hopefully you'll post a watching schedule so people will know what episode to talk about when or what episode will be talked about when and can stay away from the thread until they've caught up if they don't want to be spoiled. I know that if I got behind that I wouldn't keep track of what episode should be watched what week.

I'm bummed that the dedicated re-watch is happening at my busy time at work.

Edited by Fireball
(edited)

Doing a rewatch.....and I find it interesting how much they have softened Trixie over the years.

And you can kind see that Cynthia was a bit emotionally unhealthy before she was attacked. 

Edited by LadyChaos

I also notice in the rewatch, that Trixie and Tom's relationship was alot more chaste that Tom and Barbara's.....which is funny since Barbara grew up more religious than Trixie and Trixie's virginity is of hot topic lately.

I wanted to watch something yesterday, and wasn't in the mood to delve into a new series on Netflix . . . so I rewatched the first couple of episodes of CtM.  Wow.  So different.  I still love it, but it used to really be about the midwives and the challenges of delivering babies in an impoverished area.  I had forgotten how wonderful the first season was.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I wanted to watch something yesterday, and wasn't in the mood to delve into a new series on Netflix . . . so I rewatched the first couple of episodes of CtM.  Wow.  So different.  I still love it, but it used to really be about the midwives and the challenges of delivering babies in an impoverished area.  I had forgotten how wonderful the first season was.

It really was. It was the  most feminist show I’d ever seen - women caring for women.  It was love at first sight. Still a comfort watch.