Type keyword(s) to search

Airbrush the Nipples: Seinfeld and Arrested Development References

Sesquipedalia
  • Start Topic

In "Signals," Selina chastises Gary because she's been "scratching her eyebrows for three and a half fucking hours"--the signal for him to get her out of an inconvenient conversation. Similarly, Elaine complains to Jerry that she's been "smacking herself senseless" using a signal they created to get them out of boring conversations at parties.  I just finished Veep Season 1 and the first two episodes of Season 2, and I've noticed a TON of Seinfeld and AD references like this.  But now I've already forgotten most of them. Let's pool our memories and list them here.

Edited by Sesquipedalia
  • Love 2

I don't mean to spoil anyone else's fun, so I'll whisper this and then shut up (as far as this thread goes): I don't really think these are references as much as coincidences, or devices that a lot of different stories would need to use, with no further justification needed. I mean, if anyone would need a signal with an assistant to get her out of unwanted conversations, it would be an elected official at a reception. OK, I'll move on. :)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

If something in Veep happens exactly like something in one of the greatest and/or most well-known, most obsessively quoted comedies of all time, with which it also shares a starring actor, I'm going to go with homage over coincidence. Seinfeld especially has become so ingrained in the American vernacular that you can reference it without even realizing it (not that there's anything wrong with that), so even if the writers aren't consciously doing it--which I suspect they are a lot of the time--the references are still in there.

Anyway, back to the fun. I just remembered another one: I don't recall the episode or exact quote, but Selina mentions "afternoon delight" in reference to sex. Squee!

Also, in the third episode of Season 2: Gary points out that paper covers rock.

Edited by Sesquipedalia
  • Love 3
(edited)

LOL yes, they do resemble each other.  Another thing that is similar is the short-hair wig. It's a lot like the one JLD wore when Elaine got a short haircut on Seinfeld. Also, everyone on both shows seemed to hate it. I personally prefer short hair, but both wigs look really fake.

Edited by Sesquipedalia

This is a bit of a behind the scenes reference, but I was listening to the commentary of the Season 3 finale and the director mentions that he had to remove a Seinfeld board game from the cabinet of toys that is next to Selina when she is talking with the Iranian couple.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 4/30/2014 at 3:30 PM, radishcake said:

Haha! I'm just reminded of Simpsons episode 17 from season 18: "Another family ruined by Ronaldo!" hee. Similar name and ruining! ;)

I'm into Season 6 now... :)