Type keyword(s) to search

KETO Diet

• Start Topic

Has anyone tried the Keto diet? It's high protein, high fat and low carb. Weight loss occurs faster and is healthier.

The foods are delicious and you don't feel like you are deprivig yourself of anything... unless you have a sugar obsession. But that is what got me started, inadvertently, in the first place. I was trying a sugar detox and the food list matched the Keto diet more or less I found out. I kept losing weight and didn't know why so I looked it up. The low carb layout I was following was almost the same.

The Keto Diet Details

• Love 1

I took a look at the link, but, I didn't see how many carbs are allowed. Do you know?    I think that I am basically trying to eat with a low to moderate carb plan.  I hate to use the term diet, since, I hope to eat a good balanced plan for the rest of my life. 

I'm a Type I diabetic and even though I have to count my carbs and cover them with insulin, it's not advised by my endocrinologist to cut out too many carbs.  Plus, I have tried Atkins years ago and it just wasn't sustainable enough for me.  I want something that I enjoy and can live with permanently.  And that also lets me have treats in moderation.  

Of course, hey, if it works for you, I say GREAT.  I applaud your efforts and success.  

I have a relative who is going to go on the Ketogenic diet for seizures.  She's a child, so, I think it's going to be challenging for her. 

• Love 4

I actually was on a detox from sugar when I discovered how similar the food lists were. 

Since it is new to me I can't offer any details as it relates to. Type 1 Diabetes. I can recommend a Facebook Keto group. I have seen numerous discussions on the success some Diabetics are having.

Please post whatever you find on the subject. It is a fascinating process.

• Love 1

I actually was on a detox from sugar when I discovered how similar the food lists were. 

Since it is new to me I can't offer any details as it relates to. Type 1 Diabetes. I can recommend a Facebook Keto group. I have seen numerous discussions on the success some Diabetics are having.

Please post whatever you find on the subject. It is a fascinating process.

I can add you to a gender specific Keto group or a general one that is more geared toward guiding members through the diet. (P.S.) I agree about the Diet word.

Thanks but I wasn't looking for information. Belong to several groups that support Keto. Just had my labs read and the numbers are excellent, a result of the low carb. Even my doctor supports the low carb and offered some edvice on enhancing it. And I definitely am not on it to lose weight but to build and maintain muscle. I really hate referring to it as a diet because dieting is not something I do but since this way of eating has a list of dos and don'ts I guess I have to.

Nevertheless, I will click your links for the information.

Thanks.

On 6/26/2017 at 5:01 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I took a look at the link, but, I didn't see how many carbs are allowed. Do you know?    I think that I am basically trying to eat with a low to moderate carb plan.  I hate to use the term diet, since, I hope to eat a good balanced plan for the rest of my life. 

I'm a Type I diabetic and even though I have to count my carbs and cover them with insulin, it's not advised by my endocrinologist to cut out too many carbs.  Plus, I have tried Atkins years ago and it just wasn't sustainable enough for me.  I want something that I enjoy and can live with permanently.  And that also lets me have treats in moderation.  

Of course, hey, if it works for you, I say GREAT.  I applaud your efforts and success.  

I have a relative who is going to go on the Ketogenic diet for seizures.  She's a child, so, I think it's going to be challenging for her. 

Sorry it took so long to respond...

It is recommended to try for 20 and under carbs per day. Sweets are allowed but you have to do them with Stevia and other artificial sweeteners. Since I hate them all I just do without, eat low GI fruits or cheat a little.

Yes, I agree about "dieting". There is a new term and it is called Way of Eating or WOE. Like you, I appreciate a good plan for balanced meals.

Some people need a few more carbs than others. As for myself I am one of them. 

Keto is not too challenging as you can eat nearly everything except high glycemic index foods. I do miss tacos but found using lettuce instead of tortillas works extremely well. There are breads that are Keto friendly and other indulgent things that will keep you happy.

I think you would do well because you seem to know exactly what you want and how it would help. Keep us posted. Everyone's journey is a little different so sharing yours will probably offer another insight.

Few months ago, I decided to try Keto diet. Health and Nutrition have always been important to me. The sedentary life that I was living was the trigger to wake up from deep slumber and do something about getting back in shape. Being a vegetarian, it is slightly tougher to follow Keto diet. But I did my research and was determined to try it out. My diet consisted of a lot of broccoli, eggs, spinach, cottage cheese & avocado. But within, one week I started hating food and had completely lost my appetite. Nausea and weakness took over my body. This forced me to stop the diet. But even a week after I discontinued Keto, my appetite was still not normal. I consulted with a doctor and after running a few tests, I found that my liver has been damaged slightly due to the rigorous dieting. It took me almost 2-3 months to regain my health. I am just sharing my experience with Keto. I have nothing against Keto but I am certain that it is not for me. Our bodies react in different ways to different diets. Even though Keto can show amazing results, it can take a toll on your health sometimes. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1
On 4/29/2019 at 5:47 AM, thomasdown92 said:

Few months ago, I decided to try Keto diet. Health and Nutrition have always been important to me. The sedentary life that I was living was the trigger to wake up from deep slumber and do something about getting back in shape. Being a vegetarian, it is slightly tougher to follow Keto diet. But I did my research and was determined to try it out. My diet consisted of a lot of broccoli, eggs, spinach, cottage cheese & avocado. But within, one week I started hating food and had completely lost my appetite. Nausea and weakness took over my body. This forced me to stop the diet. But even a week after I discontinued Keto, my appetite was still not normal. I consulted with a doctor and after running a few tests, I found that my liver has been damaged slightly due to the rigorous dieting. It took me almost 2-3 months to regain my health. I am just sharing my experience with Keto. I have nothing against Keto but I am certain that it is not for me. Our bodies react in different ways to different diets. Even though Keto can show amazing results, it can take a toll on your health sometimes. 

I appreciate you posting this about the Keto diet.  I had no idea that it could be so risky.  My niece was on it, under strict medical supervision, because she has severe seizures.  The Keto diet has worked for some children who have seizure disorders.  But, she was only on it for about a year. She did lose a lot of weight on it, but, I'm not sure it helped reduce her seizures that much. 

I'm not a fan of it, because to me, it's not sustainable.  There is no way that I will have such limited carbs on a permanent basis. But, to each his own.  So, for me, I want a moderate diet.  Something that I can eat all the foods that I want, in moderation, and still be fit. My doctor says this is best for my condition. (I'm a Type I diabetic.)

I've been trying to do that and I am proud to say that I have lost about 9 pounds over the last 6 weeks!  I'm fine with slow and steady.  

• Love 4

High fat moderate protein low carb, it’s quite beneficial for many reasons and miles better than the crap the ‘food’ industry would have you consume.  Eat things that have one ingredient (no label needed) would be the smartest thing to do.  But short of that as close to an ancestral human diet would have the most benefit.  Don’t rely on medical doctors for health/nutrition advice.

• Love 1