Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E22: For the Cause

Starfleet Security warns Sisko that a Maquis smuggler is aboard Deep Space Nine -- and it may be his girlfriend, Kasidy Yates. But it turns out there is another Maquis member on the station.

Did like the way that the talk on the Defiant when they're tracking Cassidy's ship suggests the possibility that O'Brien might be the "traitor" for expressing sympathies with the Maquis (and it certainly fits with his background fighting the "Cardies" as discussed in ST-TNG's The Wounded). Though the treatment of the Maquis in this episode really does fuel the (tinfoil hat?) theory that the Federation for all its cuddly image can display disturbingly fascistic tendencies at times: as soon as it's mentioned that they're dealing with the Maquis, Worf goes, "They're no longer Federation citizens!" Nice to know that a Federation citizen on a (presumably) Earth registered ship suddenly loses all rights because you suspect they're a Maquis member. And I do remember that it was established in Next Gen (Journey's End) that the settlers there would lose their Federation citizenship, but that was as part of the (bad!) deal struck between Federation and the Cardassian governments: the settlers on that world could stay, but only if they gave up their Federation citizenship - now just being in the Maquis means you're no longer a citizen. And the penalty is time spent in a penal colony! How very 19th Century.

Was OK with the Garak/Ziyal romance - only Garak would bring a phaser on a date!

My honest opinion of the Maquis was they made great points because the Cardassians basically took advantage of the situation and the Federation just turned a blind eye to everything. However, with that said, the Maquis did go too far and when the Cardassians joined the Dominion and they were basically all wiped out. I agreed with Sisko with: "Yes, you drove them right into the hands of the Dominion, great job!" 

Yes, ultimately the Maquis (like many historical freedom fighters/terrorists) got so caught up in the struggle they failed to see they were sewing the seeds of their own destruction. But the Federation's attitude to them combines all the worst attitudes of a paternalistic but unresponsive state: "We did this deal which we believe will make you better off - why aren't you more grateful!" I don't recall a scene where we hear about them trying to negotiate with the Maquis  (mediated by the Ferengi perhaps?) - OK, it's possible such talks are happening and we just don't hear about it, but it does seem that the points Eddington raises are extremely valid.

16 hours ago, John Potts said:

Yes, ultimately the Maquis (like many historical freedom fighters/terrorists) got so caught up in the struggle they failed to see they were sewing the seeds of their own destruction. But the Federation's attitude to them combines all the worst attitudes of a paternalistic but unresponsive state: "We did this deal which we believe will make you better off - why aren't you more grateful!" I don't recall a scene where we hear about them trying to negotiate with the Maquis  (mediated by the Ferengi perhaps?) - OK, it's possible such talks are happening and we just don't hear about it, but it does seem that the points Eddington raises are extremely valid.

Honestly after the Cardassians joined the Dominion and basically just drove everyone off. I wanted a scene where the main people in the Federation didn't go: "Dammit!" "Why can't we all just get along!" "All these years and the Cardassians just gave us the middle finger." I wanted to go: "They gave you the middle finger since season 4 of TNG. 

So that's what happened to Kasidy. Couldn't remember (or if she ever shows up again). Honestly, the relationship between Benjamin and Kasidy never felt very fleshed out - most of it seemed to develop off screen, so the "I love yous" didn't feel earned. 

The relationship between them was--accelerated--but there were several episodes showing it's progress.  There are several things they compressed to have certain recurring characters around (Kassidy's incarceration, Nog being assigned to the station after being at the Academy for a year).

(edited)

Sisko and Kassidy's relation goes a lot further. I'm not sure if this should be in spoilers as it's about later seasons, so I'll just do it.

Kassidy and Sisko get married in season 7 and she's expecting. So their relationship develops a lot more then it was in season 4, however most if it is off screen. And well he ends up leaving to join the profits at the end.

Edited by blueray
On 6/8/2017 at 3:49 PM, blueray said:

Sisko and Kassidy's relation goes a lot further. I'm not sure if this should be in spoilers as it's about later seasons, so I'll just do it.

Hide contents

Kassidy and Sisko get married in season 7 and she's expecting. So their relationship develops a lot more then it was in season 4, however most if it is off screen. And well he ends up leaving to join the profits at the end.

Spoiler

I'm not sure why this always amuses me, but it's a common typo for DS9. Given Ferengi and Prophets.  But this is even funnier than usual, given the context.

• Love 1