Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E02: Warren Beatty, Keeley Hawes, Miranda Hart, Peter Capaldi, Jennifer Hudson

• Start Topic

Graham begins his new series with Warren Beatty (promoting Rules Don't Apply), Keeley Hawes (promoting the second series of The Durrells in Corfu), Miranda Hart (promoting her theatrical appearance in Annie), Peter Capaldi (promoting his final season in Doctor Who) and Jennifer Hudson, who sings her new single "Remember Me."

I'm surprised that the US air of this ep is on the same date as the UK 'cast, although I suspect the Whovian connection is the reason. Synergy!

Truly disappointed that I'll miss Miranda Hart in Annie. I'll be in London for a few days next month, but like a week before the show opens. Rats. I love how she adored Warren only insofar as he was acquainted with Carole Burnett. (quite right, too)

The UKers got some discussion with Warren about the Oscars kerfuffle that wasn't shown to us.

I loved Jennifer's illusion gloves. She might have put a bracelet on, though.

I wanted Peter to comb his hair. So so much.

• Love 1

I really hate the short shows. That said, I didn't need to hear about the Oscars kerfuffle again, so thanks for that!

21 minutes ago, attica said:

I wanted Peter to comb his hair. So so much.

I felt this way about Miranda Hart's. She looked unusually disheveled, I thought.

Yeah, I wish they had the whole Oscar kerfuffle left out. I had finally forgotten about it and it's not as if Warren Beatty has not enough stories to tell. I thought Capaldi looked somewhat down but maybe that's just melancholia about leaving the Doctor behind starting to settle in. I was surprised by Keeley Hawles, she was so exuberant - loved her chicken stories. And the Durrells is a great show - very funny.

• Love 1

I feel that we didn't get enough of Beatty. He really is a giant in the film industry, and despite his sexpot playboy persona of the 1970s, is a smart and thoughtful person. He seems reticent and shy, but someone like Graham could have drawn him out - Warren has been interviewed by Howard Stern and I was surprised how candid and thoughtful he is. That said, it wasn't as if the show was dominated by a bore at the expense of him. Capaldi and Hart are great guests too. I guess it was just a "wealth of riches" situation. I loooove The Durrells at Corfu, and Hawes is great in it, but I couldn't tell if she was a dull guest, or just not given enough attention.

On 4/16/2017 at 3:31 PM, attica said:

The UKers got some discussion with Warren about the Oscars kerfuffle that wasn't shown to us.

A day ago -- or was it this morning? -- I saw an article saying that Warren talked about this on the show, so I purposely skipping reading so I could watch it. Bummer. I, too, hate the shortened US shows. I know I could watch on YouTube, but I probably won't.

It's funny that he was quite witty and sharp when actually talking, but when he was just listening to others, he looked out of it. I'm not saying he WAS out of it, just that this was how he appeared.

I thought it was a pretty good couch, though more time should have been spent with everyone. 

Has anyone watched The Durrells in Corfu?

I've watched the Durrells last season and I'll watch again this summer. It's pretty entertaining, funny with a dry wit and occasionally things take an unexpected sombre turn. The story is about a British middle-class family in the 30's. The father's deceased and they face financial problems. One day the mother declares that they are all moving to Corfu in order to save money. Season one mostly dealt with how they were trying to settle in and adapt. The show's based on the autobiographical books by Gerald Durrell - the youngest kid of the family.