Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Cinderella and the Dragon/ La Huesuda

Two American flight attendants go missing in Singapore.

S2 E07

A night of partying ends badly for an American in Tijuana, Jack comes across his son working undercover with the Mexican Cartels

I only saw "Cinderella and the Dragon". It was first foray into this show since the backdoor pilot...I was expecting dreck but I was pleasantly surprised. Monty was great in this one, especially arresting Scott. So was Simmons and Garrett...and Alana de Garza's character, whose name escapes me. I kept thinking this could be a great show if it got better writing.

The writing...by Jove...could they hit us over the head any more with showing Singapore as "The Land of Crusty, Stubborn Cops"? As soon as Police Chief Cheuong went on about how Catherine Hall did it I knew that she didn't. The twist with the fish was kind of interesting.

So...C.

C-9.jpg

I'm sure I actually heard a police character say they would never have solved the case without them. I'm already sick of the "IRT as Saviours" vibe with them swooping in to save the day because no way could local cops ever be good at their jobs. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, arieswriting said:

I'm sure I actually heard a police character say they would never have solved the case without them. I'm already sick of the "IRT as Saviours" vibe with them swooping in to save the day because no way could local cops ever be good at their jobs. 

But this is true of the original BAU as well. And, quite frankly, true of every amateur detective, private eye and TV lawyer that ever were written. 

In fact, unless there is an overreaching character or story arc that needs to have some incompetency with or failure of the IRT in order to play out, such a storyline would be pointless.  There needs to be a underlying reason in order to have the IRT go with they're  not needed.  It's just the underlying conceit of the show  -- in fact, it's the underlying conceit of every TV show.  The main characters have to be the heroes.

8 hours ago, Partly said:

This is true of the original BAU as well. And, quite frankly, true of every amateur detective, private eye and TV lawyer that ever were written. 

In fact, unless there is an overreaching character or story arc that needs to have some incompetency with or failure of the IRT in order to play out, such a storyline would be pointless.  There needs to be a underlying reason in order to have the IRT go with they're  not needed.  It's just the underlying conceit of the show  -- in fact, it's the underlying conceit of every TV show.  The main characters have to be the heroes.

In principle, you're right.

What I will point out is that there is a difference to crafting heroes who are simply better than the "normal" people in the story and dumbing down everyone else so that the heroes wind up being the "smart" ones. The former takes a lot of skill and nuance from the writer, the latter is just lazy writing.

In the Singapore episode, I would have at least made the Singaporean Police Chief the lone contrarian in a police department that rushed to a conclusion. That would have been a better reason to call in the IRT- so that Singaporean Police Chief ensures he "gets it right" instead of defaulting to departmental practices. This way you can still tell a story where you highlight the Singaporean Police's propensity for rushed judgements without throwing the Singaporeans under the bus.

I enjoyed both of these episodes, but I agree that the Singapore episode was full of stereotypes about those uptight straight laced cane-happy Singaporean police.  Also, I find it hilarious that whenever there is an episode on any show featuring Asian characters speaking in the "native language" (as closed captioning puts it), that they all use different dialects.  I believe I heard both Mandarin and Cantonese.

I kept waiting for the gay male flight attendant to go missing as well, since the episode description said that TWO flight attendants go missing.  Well, no.  One went missing and one was killed.  The show sure went out of its way to portray the surviving attendant as the sinister killer.  If all she needed was to get some clothes to change her appearance, why didn't she just ask someone for help.  It was a bit extreme to pick up a huge knife and hold it to the throat of that bystander.  

I enjoyed the second episode more.  I liked seeing Ryan Garrett and I think it'd be great if he could join the team full time.

• Love 1

I didn't see most of last season, but based on these recent episodes I like this show better than the original Criminal Minds, which never quite clicked for me. The female characters seem livelier and to have more personality and depth than the ones on CM, and I buy the real rapport between them while on CM most of the supposedly close friendships within the team felt flat and forced to me. The international settings give the episodes an interesting variety and allow for some interetsing facts about different countries and cultures that you don't get from most crime shows. I'm in definite agreement that the Tijuana episode was better than the Singapore one, which seemed more sluggishly paced and just didn't capture my interest as much. In general this show engages me a lot more than I expected it to!  

• Love 1

I enjoyed the first episode - haven't seen the second yet.  I'm wondering about the bad guy (the dragon? ghost?), will he get Singaporean justice or will he get off due to no real evidence against him?  They really went out of their way to prove that the Singapore police don't bother with evidence - they accept the first conclusion someone comes up with as fact.

One thing that bothered me as they signed off - who is flying the plane?  Then it got me thinking, we've never seen the pilot on original recipe CM either.  Suddenly, it's very annoying!! <g>

21 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

I liked the first episode but really liked the second one. 

I don't want to spoil it but I don't get the ending. 

The show has already aired, there's nothing to be spoiled.  Not sure what you are referring to... are you talking about the end when Ryan Garrett went to prison?  Ryan works for the FBI.  The FBI had placed him undercover with that Mexican biker gang.  Jack unwittingly ran across him while investigating those murders in Mexico.  Jack asked a question of the guy hunched over a bike not knowing it was his son.  The gang leader saw that Ryan recognised Jack and started asking questions, so Jack fake-arrested Ryan to get him out of the gang.

At the end of the episode, they needed to figure out a way to re-insert Ryan into the Mexican underworld, so Jack arranged to have the FBI turn him over to the Mexican prison system.

If the show lasts long enough, I'm hoping we see Ryan again.