Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Country Girls

This is really gonna hurt my soul having to wait each week for these. Especially when so much snarky goodness lies...lays...ahead. (somebody with better grammar, please feel free to correct.)

The exchanges between Mrs. Oleson and Ma were some of my favorite scenes. Caroline always managed to rise above Harriet's petty petty ways with complete grace.

Hee! Miss Beadle was quite reminiscent of Big Bird. 

• Love 1

Loving this podcast. As you repeat the lines I say them with you since I've seen these episodes a million times.

I think the reason they wore those nightcaps to bed all year round was to keep bedbugs out of their hair. I read some where once that since they didn't bathe often they needed to keep their hair clean and bug free. Ick

Looking forward to next week's episode! ?

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, LizzyBee said:

Loving this podcast. As you repeat the lines I say them with you since I've seen these episodes a million times.

I think the reason they wore those nightcaps to bed all year round was to keep bedbugs out of their hair. I read some where once that since they didn't bathe often they needed to keep their hair clean and bug free. Ick

Looking forward to next week's episode! ?

Oh, god. I always thought it was just about keeping their hair clean or whatever since they weren't washing and styling it every day. Now I'm going to have nightmares about bedbugs in their little loft bedroom.

This podcast is my new favorite thing. I just wish it were longer/there was more of it. I'm with those who would love to see some visual aides for this. 

I also always kinda thought that Nels had a crush on Ma, too, or maybe on the Ingalls family in general (except Carrie). He would have greatly appreciated having a wife and children who weren't crushing his will to live on the daily and he wouldn't be nearly as self-righteous about it all as Pa was.

Edited by Kostgard
  • Love 4

Regarding sleeping caps- I always thought it had something to do with modesty- only a husband could look at his wife's hair unbound and such. Loving this podcast- Kim you are doing a great service :)

Funny thing is that Miss Arngrim said that even WITH the performers daily bathing off camera, the costumes, etc. STILL got rather rank very quickly to the point that she and Miss Gilbert would have contests over it. So if clothes worn by folks who had easy access to soap, hot water,etc. could get funky, one must imagine how pungent  REAL pioneers must have gotten.

Oh, to keep this ontopic- I found it ironic how this ep not only established the Nellie-Laura rivalry oncamera flawlessly but ALSO how it set their performers to be besties offcamera when 9-year-old Miss Gilbert said she hoped Miss Arngrim would soon recover from heat exhaustion on account of their upcoming fight scene! LOL

• Love 1